This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb replacement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gawiley
Zip Code: 16137

Carb replacement

Postby gawiley » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:28 pm

It has been sometime that I've been having carb issues and decided to place what I had. I have a 1950 farmall cub engine serial number 101199. I called Steiner and they said that the cub needed a international carb. However it keeps flooding. I am on my second one and both flood after turning the engine over. Should I have a Zeneth Carb or what am I doing wrong. The Steiner carb is not cheap. My cub did have a zeneth carb prior to replacing with an international carb. PLease help :lost:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carb replacement

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:02 pm

What do you mean by "flooding?"

If fuel is running out of the carb on the ground and will not stop, that means the float, needle, seat mechanism got messed up in shipment.

How are you applying choke? Don't "set it and forget it." These tractors only need a quick application of choke to start, with a possible additional blip or two during the first few seconds of cold running. Leaving the choke on will generally cause the engine to flood, causing some fuel to drip out of the carb on to the ground, but it will stop after a couple of seconds.

The Zenith carb was designed as a replacement for the IH carb and they work interchangeably. What problems were you having with the Zenith that prompted you to swap it out for an IH carb?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:06 pm

If your replacement carb is a Chinese repro, from any source, this may help...

CHINESE REPRO CARBURETORS FROM EBAY.pdf
(209.2 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

gawiley

Postby gawiley » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:54 am

Yes, I was choking but will not so much now. Yes the fuel would run or drip. Once the tractor is turned over the fuel stops running out the over flow. I would assume vacuum is happening. I will attempt to adjust the choke.
Early in the summer the cub had a serious lack of power. I had the mag rebuilt but it only helped a small amount. I assumed that the carb needed rebuilt or replaced. I can upon some extra cash and thought I’d replace the carb. Hence now I’ve been battling this issue for way longer than I’ve ever wanted to deal with this.
I’ve check the float and needle. Both are fine. It must be that the float needs adjusted to shut fuel off.
After reading some info on this site it seems that I may have wasted some money on a new carb. Many people are saying a good cleaning goes a long way to getting the carb to work well.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:56 am

There are lots of things beyond carb and magneto that are far more likely to be the cause of your lack of power. Carburetor issues usually show themselves as run quality issues, not "runs fine but has a general lack of power."

Have you done a compression check? Adjusted the valves? Made sure the governor is engaging properly?

gawiley

Postby gawiley » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:49 pm

No to to all 3. Once I stop the fuel flow i'll check these if still no power. I will be adjusting the float. Fairly sure that will be the difference maker

gawiley

Postby gawiley » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Oh ya, it was not running fine prior and a very hard start.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:36 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:There are lots of things beyond carb and magneto that are far more likely to be the cause of your lack of power. Carburetor issues usually show themselves as run quality issues, not "runs fine but has a general lack of power."

Have you done a compression check? Adjusted the valves? Made sure the governor is engaging properly?
Ditto.

gawiley wrote:Early in the summer the cub had a serious lack of power. I had the mag rebuilt but it only helped a small amount. I assumed that the carb needed rebuilt or replaced.
Save some cash.

Conduct a 100% engine tune up. Start with compression tests and valve tappets. Then ignition followed by fuel.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:47 pm

gawiley wrote:Yes, I was choking but will not so much now. Yes the fuel would run or drip. Once the tractor is turned over the fuel stops running out the over flow. I would assume vacuum is happening. I will attempt to adjust the choke.
Early in the summer the cub had a serious lack of power. I had the mag rebuilt but it only helped a small amount. I assumed that the carb needed rebuilt or replaced. I can upon some extra cash and thought I’d replace the carb. Hence now I’ve been battling this issue for way longer than I’ve ever wanted to deal with this.
I’ve check the float and needle. Both are fine. It must be that the float needs adjusted to shut fuel off.
After reading some info on this site it seems that I may have wasted some money on a new carb. Many people are saying a good cleaning goes a long way to getting the carb to work well.

Yes these old simple carbs are pretty much infinity rebuild able unless you smash it with a hammer trying to free the stuck needle, break internal parts of the casting or have something seriously wallowed out.

gawiley

Postby gawiley » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Ok, it’s March and I am now picking up on getting this Cub running. I have reverted back to original carb but it it not mounted in the tractor yet. I wanted to check the valves as I noticed that my spark plugs were dry no matter how much I cranked the engine. The valves are all moving and they look good. Any suggestions why I’m not getting fuel into the cylinders?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:09 pm

As previously suggested do a compression test (dry and wet). If you have fuel in the carb and there's no pluging, maybe the compression is low enough that the fuel is not being pulled into the cylinders. (Fuel+air+spark at the right time=ignition). JMHO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:09 pm

Sounds like you are getting gas into the carb. Sounds like your valves are opening. If you have decent compression, you should have enough vacuum to pull gasoline into the cylinders. Two things: 1) Have you checked your compression as was suggested?, and 2) Do you have your carb float adjusted properly?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”