Awake after 25 yrs.....

This is my grandfathers H, got it running after sitting for over 25 yrs. Needless to say, I've got some issues to take care of, but for the most part she runs pretty good. Cleaned the Mag and Carb, primed the oil pump and it fired right up, even with the "Little Debbie" carb gasket!! Haven't dialed it in, just been running it up and down the road, stretching her legs a bit. The oil pressure is great, but compression is not what I would like it to be. Was 65lbs on all four cylinders before I got it running, so I'm gonna it check tomorrow after running for two days. I also cheated a bit and installed a starter, mainly because I can't find the hand crank. Its around somewhere, just got to lay my hands on it.
My grandfather bought the H new in '45, when my dad was 3 yrs old. The day it was delivered, my dad climbed up on it and fell off and broke his arm!!

DCP_2634_1.JPG

Me and Elizabeth took it for a ride today and got alot of waves and conversations. The tractor is running in the photo, and the haze above the engine is a leaking valve cover gasket seeping oil onto the manifold. Getting that fixed tomorrow, along with new hoses and removing the both gas tanks for cleaning, so I can take the pony tank off.
 
Real nice!!!! I love it.Don't let her fall off and have what happened to your dad!!! Kevin!!! :twisted: :twisted:
 
Great looking tractor!! Course, with Elizabeth on it, how can it look bad? :||): :||):


Sure do want one 'uv them ole H's. First tractor I ever drove.
 
Looks like you have two treasures in that picture.

It is great to see another old H up and going again.

Good Luck with your new project and keep us posted

Mark
 
OK, OK, OK...

I have been bitten REALLY BADLY with the bug for a bigger IH tractor, and can actually say that my wife is right there with me... We have GOT to get a place out in the country. I would love to have an H like that one! Congrats on getting it running...I am sure that it was one sweet sound to your ears!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
 
Congrats on your success, looks like a real nice H. Love seeeing and hearing about the ones that have a story to tell...

The H is a nice size tractor, very practical...

Dusti
 
Looks Great Raymond :!: Look foward to seeing you and Miss Elizabeth in October.....be here before we know it :D
 
Thanks fellas for the comments. This is something I have had on the "to-do" list for quite some time. My dad talked me into jumping into it couple weeks ago, so first was the rear tires. Replaced the tubes and cleaned up and painted the rims.
Got the valve cover oil leak fixed today, along with the water leaks. Drove it around some. Checked compression, I'm up to 90 on all cylinders, and then drove it around some more. :D
Haven't found the hand crank yet, but did some nosing around and found the belt pulley, PTO shield, manifold heat shield, and seat post tool box.

Mike, after I get the rest of the bugs worked out of this one, I've got two M's waiting!!
 
Screwstick":1bbfulsn said:
Thanks fellas for the comments. This is something I have had on the "to-do" list for quite some time. My dad talked me into jumping into it couple weeks ago, so first was the rear tires. Replaced the tubes and cleaned up and painted the rims.
Got the valve cover oil leak fixed today, along with the water leaks. Drove it around some. Checked compression, I'm up to 90 on all cylinders, and then drove it around some more. :D
Haven't found the hand crank yet, but did some nosing around and found the belt pulley, PTO shield, manifold heat shield, and seat post tool box.

Mike, after I get the rest of the bugs worked out of this one, I've got two M's waiting!!

Two M's?? Hey pal, you wanna share with your buddies? :lol: :lol:
 
I figured once you got the ol girl out and stretched her legs abit she'd tighten up. Likely stuck compression rings.

I need to find a handcrank for my M as well, and a seat post tool box...I guess mine rusted off years ago. Finding the belt pulley and the PTO shield saved you alot. Keep us up to date.

Dusti
 
Raymond:

It is pretty special when you can bring back to life an old member of the family. Congrats :applause: on getting your Granddad's H running after all this time. Brings back lots of memories huh :?:
 
After a bit of fiddling around, the 'ole H comes alive after 25 years. What's the chance that one of today's bells / whistles / electronics-laden tractors would come alive after sitting for 25 years with just a bit of tinkering?

Simple is good! :mrgreen:
 
Just think of the stories that old tractor could tell if she could talk :D You will think of your dad and grandpa everytime you get up on the seat. Elizabeth will also have many fond memories.

Doug
 
It's aways great to see a sleeping Farmall reawaken from its slumber even more so when she has so much history to your family
 
Since it hasn't been running for about as long as I've been around, I don't have any memories of it other than it being parked in the barn, but my Dad and Uncle are loving it! Both never thought they would see it running again. I was tinkering with it yesterday, and both of them watching me and talking about memories of dark-to-dark days.
An interesting note (to me anyway :D ) about the purchase: My grandfather worked at the shipyard up in Jacksonville, and also farmed with mules at home. All was well until his coworker dropped a piece of flat plate and cut his thumb off. The shipyard gave him $1,000 for his injury and let him go. A neighbor stopped by shortly after the accident to check on my grandfather. My grandfather made the comment that he would need a tractor now that he was going to be a full time farmer. The neighbor had just ordered the H and it was to be delivered in a couple days, so he offered the tractor, switched the address and had it delivered to my grandfather for the money (lost thumb).
Here is how she looks now. Still have the main tank to clean out, but got the small gas tank cleaned and running off it, instead of the plastic one. Sheet metal and muffler installed. There are a couple dents to fix, but all in all, the metal is pretty straight.
DCP_2640_1.JPG

The upper portion of the manifold was broken/cracked pretty bad and was unusuable due to being hung on tree branches. So, I made this one up real quick. For a "that looks pretty close" operation, as you can see above, it actually lined up with the hole in the hood rather well. Had to drill out and re-tap the holes for the bolts and file down the top of the manifold to fix some uneven wear. Should be studs, but I only had the bolts handy.
DCP_2649_1.JPG


Thanks for looking!!
And welcome to the Forum Aussiecub!
 
Back
Top