This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Driving your cub around a tractor show

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Driving your cub around a tractor show

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm

muleboss wrote:I read this and thought WHY did you even ask on here.

In fairness to the original poster, his actual question as stated in the first post concerned flexing of his drawbar. It was overshadowed by comments on other content of his post.
jsfarmall wrote:. . . My carryall is made with a 2in hitch and then the receiver is bolted to the drawbar. With much over 100lbs there is good amount of flexing up and down in the drawbar. Does anyone here have something similar or better design? . . .

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:08 am

Right, let him make his own life decisions as we all do. Those receiver cargo carriers flex front to back and side to side and I would be sea sick riding in one of those. 3 point is the way to go for stability for this application

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

Interesting how folks post about driving their cub down to the local car wash or Dairy Queen and nothing is said.

The show organizers will have insurance and that will dictate the show rules. I would follow those rules. Some shows are so crowded that the local police were pulling folks over if they were unsafe but other shows I have been to have really no crowded areas. Depends on the show. You do the risk benefit calculations for you and your family and the others that may be walking around the show.

For the original question, some sort of support from the rear lift should work. A turnbuckle, plate or whatever. Do a test load on the carrier to be sure the front wheels stay on the ground.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am

My platform does have a little wiggle to it in the receiver hitch. I'm thinking if I put a couple of lock bolts in in the hitch similar to a sleeve hitch that would take the slack out.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 am

I ran some weld beads on the hitch insert and ground down little bits at a time till it fit good and tight. There is zero wiggle in the hitch its tight enough I take a hammer and peck it into place and I don't use a pin to hold it in. I use a bolt tightened down with a wrench not my bare hands. The flex I have is in the drawbar.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 am

And thank you to the people that were respectful on here answering and replying. The carrier I have is not just for carrying people. That will be a twice a year thing. I don't want it flexing and bouncing no matter what I have loaded on it. But not everyone is a certified safety inspector on here. Like was said earlier, no one cares when someone posts about driving a 6mph cub down a 40mph or faster road but that's ok. Everyone gets butt hurt easily in the country now when someone else does something. No, nobody here likes hearing when a fellow tractor enthusiast gets hurt while doing what they enjoy, but I'm not out riding on hills, slopes, driving through people's yards, or getting drunk behind the wheel, I'm just making memories with my family and enjoying our time together. There is more of a chance of getting in wreck and no going back home going to the show than anything else I do.

By the way, muleboss, the reason I posted it on here is cause it's cub related for a cub forum. Ok I'm done with this post now.

Once again, for the people that knew what I was getting at, thank you and if any of y'all that I'm referring to took this the wrong way my apologies, just ticks me.off when I read much more dangerous stuff and no one bats an eye. This is farm equipment, not hot wheels toys. Its all dangerous. Just like guns and rivers, treat em with respect and you can have e lots of fun. Disrespect any of em your in a world of hurt.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am

jsfarmall wrote:Ok I'm done with this post now.

Since the original poster states he has gotten the answer he wanted and is done with it, and this post appears to slid somewhat downhill I am locking it before anybody says anything they may regret.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety