This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Filter Stud Metering Hole Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Oil Filter Stud Metering Hole Question

Postby DRaymond » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:55 pm

1948 FCUB restoration and engine rebuild.

Am I correct in assuming that the metering hole in the side of the stud above the threads should allow oil to pass through it to the drilled out hole in the threaded end of the bolt (to return oil to the pan after being filtered).

I ran a small wire into the metering hole and could not see it when looking into the hole at the threaded end of the bolt. I also tried using my air gun to blow air through the metering hole and no air passed into the bolt hole chamber. I even tried using a #60 drill bit to hand twist into the metering hole to no avail.

I sure would appreciate any discussion, suggestions or education on this return oil feature.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Oil Filter Stud Metering Hole Question

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm

DRaymond wrote:Am I correct in assuming that the metering hole in the side of the stud above the threads should allow oil to pass through it to the drilled out hole in the threaded end of the bolt (to return oil to the pan after being filtered).
Your assumption is correct.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Does the metering hole just penetrate the oil filler stud bolt cavity at a right angle? If so it mine appears to be blocked tight. Can it be opened by drilling it out? If so does anyone know what the metering hole diameter should be?.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:31 pm

There has to be a method for the oil passing through the filter to reach the oil pan.

I would do a couple of primitive measurements.

Stick a drill bit up/on the larger hole in the bottom of the stud. See if the hole is deeper than the hole on the side of the stud. Same thing with the hole on the side of the stud - - - compare to the thickness off the stud. This will tell you which hole needs to be lengthened.

I would use the same diameter drill bit as the hole in the side of the stud. Reason, the oil filter has a small but some built in resistance to the oil flow.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Well I checked out the location of the blocked metering hole. It was located so that it would enter into the oil filter stud bolt's center hole cavity. The metering hole had a very solid blockage-no light,air or liquid could get through it. The metering hole looked to be the diameter of a #60 drill bit so I drilled the obstruction out with a #60 bit. The bit broke off just as it broke through into the hole in the bolt. I used the remaining piece of the bit to drive out the broken bit tip and to clean out the hole. I Cleaned up the bolt. The metering hole flows free now. I recommend that you have a couple of #60 bits handy if you need to tackle this job

I do not know how oil would get filtered if the metering hole were plugged. Just makes sense to check that the metering hole is clear at every oil change. It sure would not take a very large debris particle to plug it up.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

The size of that hole is critical. too small or plugged, and oil does not go through filter. Too big and oil pressure will be low.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!