This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH404 Clutch Question

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chesterton
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

IH404 Clutch Question

Postby Chesterton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 am

I just recently bought my first tractor ('64 IH404 in great condition) and am not entirely sure how many DIY repairs I'll be able to do and hoped you all would be able to shed some light for me.

My main concern is the clutch. There seems to be entirely too much grinding of gears when I attempt to shift into gear or engage the PTO. I have been unable to find any information pertaining to the clutch operation so I am not sure if there is a clutch brake or synchro. Do I need to double shift like a semi or keep it engaged like a car? Is a rebuild/repair enormously difficult to undertake?

Thanks!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: IH404 Clutch Question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:56 pm

I am not familiar with a 404, but have driven the neighbors 444 some. It has a 2 stage clutch (live pto). Pushing the clutch down the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the travel disconnects the pto, and then as it goes down further (sometimes a lot further depending on how adjusted) disconnects the transmission. Your clutch may simply need adjusted, however, I cannot tell you how to do it. Tractor transmissions are not meant to be shifted on the go, so they do not have synchronizers on the transmission.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 pm

The 404 is a descendant of the Farmall A. I'm not that familiar with the changes from the 240 to the 404, but based on what I do know:

It has a straightforward single stage clutch. There is no clutch brake. When you fully disengage the clutch, the transmission input shaft should spin down in a reasonable amount of time so you can put it in gear or engage the PTO (which is transmission driven). If it grinds when you put it in gear after the clutch has been down for a while, something isn't right. First off, is the clutch pedal free play OK? There should be close to 2 inches of free travel at the face of the pedal and about 3 inches more travel after you feel the pressure from the clutch. If adjusting that doesn't make it better, you may have a problem with your pilot bearing (actually a bushing). If it is dry or damaged, it could be causing the input shaft to continue to turn with the clutch disengaged.

On a Cub, some have managed to point the tractor down hill and squirt WD-40 onto the input shaft and get some to run forward into the pilot bearing. I don't know if that trick can be done with a 404 or not. If not, you may have to split the tractor to get at the bearing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 pm

My 404 never grinds! 404 dont have lpto OR ta, so you are always hooked into direct drive or neutral! ---a very simple tractor to work on,--except if you need to split it,--BUT thats only if you have the optional 2 valve + 3-pt valve bank as I do,---then the splitting is a bear!---I love my 404! --also have a 504 (different story here)-- they have ta--and lpto --3-pt and all the goodies, plus 5- speed transmission just like a 560!
check your adjustment and links --the throw out bearing could be bad, but also could be the pilot bearing is dry/worn and hanging up! I have the service manuals for mine! thanks; sonny

LincTex
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76633

Postby LincTex » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:04 am

Hahaha - I also have the "Two valve, 3 -point" hydraulics on my 404 -
AND POWER STEERING! But mine is a combination of two tractors!!

If the pilot bearing needs lube (most likely) you'll have to split the tractor. The steering linkages and hydraulic lines are the only part that makes this hard to do. Make sure the splines on the input where the clutch rides are very clean, also.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:15 pm

I also have power steering on mine and its one tractor factory equipped with all the good stuff! thanks; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 pm

SONNY wrote:My 404 never grinds! 404 dont have lpto OR ta, so you are always hooked into direct drive or neutral! ---a very simple tractor to work on,--except if you need to split it,--BUT thats only if you have the optional 2 valve + 3-pt valve bank as I do,---then the splitting is a bear!---I love my 404! --also have a 504 (different story here)-- they have ta--and lpto --3-pt and all the goodies, plus 5- speed transmission just like a 560!
check your adjustment and links --the throw out bearing could be bad, but also could be the pilot bearing is dry/worn and hanging up! I have the service manuals for mine! thanks; sonny

Not to hijack this thread, but is your 404 a Farmall or International?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:20 am

May be IH,---don't remember right off, cept its a utility model,--NOT the rowcrop thingy! thanks; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:23 am

SONNY wrote:May be IH,---don't remember right off, cept its a utility model,--NOT the rowcrop thingy! thanks; sonny

Yes that's an International. Used to be several in the area. Really nice 35-40 HP unit, would like to own one, one day. I never saw a Farmall version until I was grown.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 am

This one came with a loader and at the time I didn't need one so I got rid of the loader,--it then made a super little tractor!--excellent 2-plow 3-point unit., easy to get around with too ---used the big tiller on it until I got the H.D., then put the tiller on it because of the low ,low, low first gear!

I also have the 504 that I am trying to get the motor back in!---also have a 574, same deal, had to get different motor and over-haul it,---still don't have it back in yet!---574 was made in England , making parts hard to get!---IH can get most of the parts for it but not everything!--I want to put a 2000 loader on it off of a 2504 diesel that's a parts tractor, (rod out and would need tires)---would like to have the thing ready for winter , but don't see that done at this time! thanks ; sonny