This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loose steering box on a 1962 Farmall Cub. How would you fix this?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Loose steering box on a 1962 Farmall Cub. How would you fix this?

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:17 pm

cdahl383 wrote:I made a short video that might be helpful.

You didn't mention it but there should be a cotter key through the castellated nut.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:35 pm

sgraber wrote:I replaced all the fluids when I bought the tractor a couple years ago (including the steering box) and it's been inside my shed ever since (so not exposed to the elements). That said, I did not open the steering box at that point. How would you go about tightening up the tie rod ends?

You can stuff a shim in between the tie rod end ball and the socket it rides in. Careful not to make them too tight, or they can bind and break.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:54 pm

New tie rod ends and ball seats are available from TM Tractor Parts.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:59 pm

sgraber wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:I made a short video that might be helpful. You should also check your pitman arms to ensure they aren't loose as well.

Thanks! I had actually found your video the other night when I was looking for a solution. As far as I can tell, yours is the only video on how to do that portion of the adjustment. :)

Yeah I looked around online and couldn't find anything either back when I was looking at mine. I figured I'd make a quick video before I set the tractor back down off the jack. It's not really clear what you're supposed to do, at least it wasn't to me. I'm better with visual aids than instructions. Glad it helped!

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:00 pm

Barnyard wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:I made a short video that might be helpful.

https://youtu.be/EyqdYf_S4yg

You should also check your pitman arms to ensure they aren't loose as well.

Is this your video? If so I will also post this in the video how to forum so we will have it for future members.

Yes, that's my video. It's just a basic quick video. It wasn't meant to be an all inclusive how to or anything, but I figured it might be helpful to others out there looking for the basics.

sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46526

Postby sgraber » Sun May 12, 2024 10:05 am

It's been awhile but I finally got around to tightening up the steering on my Cub from the initial post. I tightened the castellated nut (I was able to turn it about a half turn total) and removed the thick gasket. For some reason there was actually two gaskets in that location so I just removed the really thick one and left the thin one in its place. I do not see any leakage so far. Here's a video of the play that I still have in the steering. Is there anything further I can do or is it as good as I'm going to get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqv9HZ79juI

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun May 12, 2024 6:09 pm

I would be thrilled to only have that much play!! :{_}:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun May 12, 2024 6:25 pm

Hi,
The amount of free play at the steering wheel is not much.
I don't know if anyone said in this post, don't overtighten the nut under the steering gear.
I suggest jacking up the front axle so the front wheels are just off the ground, and turn the steering wheel side to side, and be sure it turns freely. Tightening the nut too tight will make the steering bind.
If there are positions where it binds, loosen the nut 1 space of where the cotter key goes through the nut and shaft, and try turning the steering wheel again.
You will need to loosen the bolt and nut that clamp the arm onto the shaft, so the arm can move.

I would check the places at each end of the tie rods for looseness, have someone turn the steering wheel right and left, through the 1 or 2 inches of the free play several times, and look at the tie rod ends.
All 4 of the places can be adjusted if they are loose.
The center has shims in it. There are 2 bolts going up from the bottom, between the ends of the rods.
You may have to clean off old grease to see the bolt heads. Use a socket and extension to get to them.
Remove 1 or more of the thin shims if needed, to tighten it. Don't remove the thick shim, if it is there.
Again, turn the steering wheel side to side to be sure it turns freely, after making any adjustment to the steering parts.

The outer ends of the tie rods adjust by removing the cotter keys, and turning the screw in ends with a screwdriver.
Be careful, the balls there usually wear more in the straight ahead position, so if you tighten them and remove all the play, the steering may bind when turned to the sides. Loosen them if they bind.
You may not be able to remove all the play in the steering because any of the parts can be worn more in the straight ahead position.
I would use an oil can, and put motor oil on the steering shaft support, by the steering wheel, to slow the wear there.
Oil the throttle linkage, and pedal bases too.
Dale, you could do these adjustments to your Cubs, and see if it helps them. :)

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Mon May 13, 2024 6:41 am

IMHO, you're dealing with a 60 yr old mechanism. There it bound to be some wear where the gears actually mesh together. Without doing a complete replacement/rebuild of the gears l would be pleased with that little play. As Glen said, you don't want it so tight that you have spots where it is going to bind up on you. That little play and no leaks, l'd be very happy with that.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon May 13, 2024 7:33 am

It’s not like modern automotive steering, even when new, these had a little play. Yours looks quite acceptable, to me.

sgraber
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46526

Postby sgraber » Mon May 13, 2024 3:35 pm

Glen wrote:The amount of free play at the steering wheel is not much.
I don't know if anyone said in this post, don't overtighten the nut under the steering gear.
I suggest jacking up the front axle so the front wheels are just off the ground, and turn the steering wheel side to side, and be sure it turns freely. Tightening the nut too tight will make the steering bind.
If there are positions where it binds, loosen the nut 1 space of where the cotter key goes through the nut and shaft, and try turning the steering wheel again.
You will need to loosen the bolt and nut that clamp the arm onto the shaft, so the arm can move.

I will double-check this. The steering is definitely "tighter/a bit harder" to turn. I might have overtightened it. I'll check and back off the castle nut a bit if needed. Thanks!