This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Repair of touch control problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chas396
Zip Code: 27407

Repair of touch control problem

Postby Chas396 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 am

My rock shaft assembly on my cub tractor will not budge. I need the cylinder to move to rear of travel (toward the head) in order for the rock shaft assembly to be removed .. in the position it’s in now the shaft that goes thru the connecting rod can’t clear the block to be removed . I have a touch control assembly taken off a doner cub and the cylinder happened to be.the more forward position where the shaft cieared the case and was easily removed. I dissembled the doner touch control and found the piston would not budge either. The piston liner is in good condion and plenty lubricated. Why will neither piston move . . It is the fact that the piston in my tractor will not budge causing the rock shaft assembly to not move. What’s up with these two piston. My touch control worked great till it didn’t. Not lack of fluid or air bubble in system. Help? Thanks

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Repair of touch control problem

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 04, 2021 8:56 am

If you've ever played with any sort of syringe, be it medical, flavor injector, oil mixing, etc., when you block the tip with your finger and try to pull the plunger it just snaps back to its original position. That's what's going on with your touch controls. There's no air or fluid able to enter or escape from the opposite side of the piston, so it's in essence "hydro-locked."

Chas396

Postby Chas396 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:43 am

I have the head removed and the piston is 1” inside of sleeve now. The other end is attached to the connecting rod. Ive removed most of the valves in order to put new seals on. The bolt on end of piston is still on. taking that off would seem to only allow connecting rod to be removed leaving piston still inside sleeve. Am I still missing something.if it’s hydro locked and I’ve drained all fluid and stripped block of parts except piston, how do I release hydro lock. Thanks for your help by the way. You may notice I’m rather new to a cub

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue May 04, 2021 11:49 am

you cannot push the piston in by hand if that is what you are trying to do, the old seals and oil hold it tight

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 pm

Try a block of wood and a hammer on the bolt at the end of the pistol, driving it forward. That's a BIG o-ring on that piston and inside the bore are 2 more BIG ones, They tend to hold pretty tight. Moving the piston just a little bit hopefully will break their grip.

I have also pried from the front, just enough to break the grip.

Good luck.
Last edited by Dale Finch on Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Chas396

Postby Chas396 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Thanks so much. Having never. Taken one apart I was being a little too careful. I have a large closet dowel I’ll use on the center bolt and if that doesn’t work I’ll go to other end and try that . Thanks again

Chas396

Postby Chas396 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:51 am

One whack hw/large hammer on end of 1”1/4” oak dowel and I pulled it out by hand. Thanks for the info