This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
feg7846
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31031
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1969 Cub
1986 Kubota 38

Governor Help

Postby feg7846 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Thanks to all of my fellow Cubers. This forum is SO informative and has helped me so much.

I have adquired a 1947 cub that sat out in the weather for a few years. Got it rewired, motor was not stuck, so I adjusted valves, primed oil pump, changed and adjusted points, new rotor button and got it running. Runs good with one exception. I had quite a problem trying to get the slow idle set. I have it set now but the carb idle adjust screw is screwed in all the way and tight on the spring. Idles great, but when I try and speed it up with the hand lever, it pops and shuts off. As part of my clean up on the cub, I took the governor apart and cleaned it up. But, I also removed the 2 lock set screws on the outside of the governor, one on top and one coming in from front. Don't know how to set them back, and, I think that may be where my problem is coming from. Can someone out there that knows a lot about governor settings give me a general idea on where these screws should be set. I know it depends a lot on wear and tear. Also my spring on lever on governor seems to be just fine and there are no wear groves on the lever. I have read the governor section of the manual, but just get somewhat confused. I know the setting will be different on every cub, but what I am looking for is a general idea of how many threads are showing on the outside of the screws, or, a measurement in inches, or other setting that you may recommend. I know this is probably a dumb question, but, hey, I am 75 years old and a dumb question is allowed once in a while
Love my cub. I have never worked on a project that I have enjoyed as much as my cub. Have a good bit of implements also and plan on putting it all to work in preparation for spring garden. Thank all of you SO very much

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor Help

Postby Waif » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 pm

This might help with your top screw/high speed limit on the governor.
Tension will vary , so counting exposed threads on one might not relate to another very well.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42679

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:44 pm

The pop and shut off is probably not related to the governor. That sounds like air/fuel. I'd be looking at the fuel system (carburetor in particular) first.

You won't be able to properly adjust the governor until it runs well. The front screw damps surging and the top screw sets the high idle limit.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi,
The adjustment screw on the front of the governor is for helping to stop the engine speed from going up and down on it's own. There is usually not any problem with that, if the rod in front of the carburetor is adjusted right.
The Cub service manual says to not screw it in too far, it can interfere with the slow idle speed.

The adjustment on top of the governor is the high speed limit bolt.
It stops the throttle lever from going ahead too far.
A 1947 Cub should go 1800 RPM at full speed.

An automotive test tachometer can be used to set the speed, if the Cub has a Battery Ignition unit.
It won't work with a magneto, I guess.

Below are pics from TM Tractor.
The 1st pic is a governor case showing approximately where the adjustments are set.

The 2nd pic shows the high speed adjustment bolt, this is the original length. If the bolt has been replaced with another length, then the amount it is sticking up above the lock nut in the 1st pic might not be right.

The 3rd pic shows the idle speed adjustment screw, it is at the top area of the carburetor, it is the screw with the spring on it. It is on the engine side of the carburetor.
Move the throttle lever fully to the rear and adjust the screw so the engine runs at about 500 RPM.
The Cub operator's manual says the slow idle speed is 500 RPM. :)
Attachments
Cub gov 2.jpg
Cub gov 8.jpg
Cub carb.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:36 am

feg7846 wrote:....... I had quite a problem trying to get the slow idle set. I have it set now but the carb idle adjust screw is screwed in all the way and tight on the spring. Idles great, but when I try and speed it up with the hand lever, it pops and shuts off. .......

The screw/spring that you are describing is not an idle adjustment, rather it's for air adjustment. Usually about 1 1/2 turns open from fully closed is a good setting for beginning the adjustment. The idle adjustment is a set screw that contacts a stop on the linkage. Also check/adjust the linkage to the governor when you remove the carb. Stan :hattip:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)