This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Freeing stuck tie rods.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Freeing stuck tie rods.

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm

I read the locked or pinned post about doing this with half in washers and copper pipe.

How straight do these need to be. Mine look pretty straight...or the one i really want to pull out.

And are y'all hearing them cherry red before you start cranking down on the nut to pull it?

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Freeing stuck tie rods.

Postby Scrivet » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Never heated the set I did. Soaked them good for several days while getting them as straight as I could hammering and rolling. Then started with the washers and nuts. My method is to use your favorite snake oil and give it time to penetrate, it didn't rust in a day. Also, no need to empty half a can on them, a little spritz and wait awhile, repeat a couple times. Spraying a thirty second fog won't get them apart any faster. Tapping/smacking/whacking/wailing on them with a hammer (dependent on severity of damage and/or the type of day you've had) will help get them straight and help break the rust bond.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:07 pm

I echo Scrivet's method! In place of the copper pipe, I used a few 5/8" nuts. It was easier than expected.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:17 pm

I guess I just need to roll mine around on a table and beat it harder. Throw it in a bucket of used oil I guess too. Have to do that next week though. I need the tractor mid week next week and will be out of town this weekend.

I have beat it a little bit, heated till it will burn you to the touch with propane torch. So hot it instantly vaporizes the PB blaster. I was bending the pipe as I tightened the nut on it and caused it to have to be beat off the rod. But not a 1/16 of movement tightening the nut as tight as I could. Well get on it next week.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:15 pm

I got the one I wanted free unstuck. Y'all were right. I took it out of the retaing ring in the middle so it was easier to work. I put it on my makeshift anvil (a hunk of rail road tracks) and started beating it with my 3 pound hammer. Spinning it while doing it. Then used the pulling method and it came out pretty easy. Grabbed it with vice grips to pull the last 3 inches or so out. Cleaned the road with steel wool and oil. Used a 20gauge shotgun brush on the tube, and ruined it (at least I don't own a 20ga) cause it was slightly too big I guess and bent the bristles over.

Oiled it and put back together and back on tractor till I want to slide the axle out for the disk plow.

Thanks for the tips guys. Beating it is the key.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 pm

do not hit them, do many of these, I use and old outer tie rod end with a nut welded to it that fits my slide hammer, a few whacks and out they come

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:11 pm

tst wrote:do not hit them, do many of these, I use and old outer tie rod end with a nut welded to it that fits my slide hammer, a few whacks and out they come

How are you straightening small bends without hitting?

Yes I'd I had something like you did a slide hammer would be an option too that would break it loose. I would have had to aquire a tie rod end or fabricate something up with a stack of welded up nuts or something and then borrow a slide hammer.

Good advice for others.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:.......Oiled it and put back together ..........
Oil is OK, but I slather them in anti seize.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:40 am

Scrivet wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:.......Oiled it and put back together ..........
Oil is OK, but I slather them in anti seize.

I thought about that. I may have to pull them apart and put some on. Don't want to have to do this again. Wasn't that hard but not worth the time to do it again for not useing antiseize.

Larry in WNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14005

Postby Larry in WNY » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:44 pm

Mine were bent so once I got them straight enough in a press I used a extra long drill bit to clean up the inside. It took the low spots out and made them slide easier. I think I used a piece of pipe cut in half to press on them.
Larry