This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch Pedal Adjustment After New Clutch Install

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Clutch Pedal Adjustment After New Clutch Install

Postby DonMountain » Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am

I just got my Cub Lo-Boy bolted back together after replacing the Clutch Disk, Pressure Plate, Throw-Out Bearing, and supporting apparatus. Now, what can I expect on adjusting the clutch pedal to get the 1" movement before the throw-out bearing touches the pressure plate fingers? Or should I take off the inspection cover to make sure I have the 1/8" clearance? I've noticed that initially there was some movement as I took up the slack while pushing the pedal down, I assume as the new throw-out bearing oriented itself to the face of the pressure plate fingers. And also the adjustment slot where the bolt screws into the clutch pedal arm is very near the bottom end of its range, where the old clutch was an inch or more up in the slot. I assume due to the wear of the old clutch. I have not started the tractor yet. Do I need to run it some and then adjust it again as everything gets worn in? And how many times will it take to get it all settled? Thanks for everybody's help with all of this.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch Pedal Adjustment After New Clutch Install

Postby Glen » Sun May 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi,
Good that you have it back together again.
All it needs is the free play set at the clutch pedal, for 1" free play, measured at the surface where you put your foot.
If there is 1" of free play, the throwout bearing is not touching the pressure plate fingers, if the throwout bearing is held upright in the holder.
When you put together the new throwout bearing and new holder, the holder should squeeze the throwout bearing from the sides, so it is held upright, and the top of the bearing does not flop down, and hit the fingers.
The bearing should be hard to move up and down, pivoting on it's 2 pins.

I suppose you checked and set the finger height after putting the pressure plate and disc on the flywheel.
Curious to know how close were they set to being right, before any changing.
The 3 fingers have to be set the same height to form a flat surface for the bearing to push on.

The new clutch should work smooth when you start moving the Cub, you could check for that.

There should be very little changing of the amount of free play as you use the Cub. It might not need resetting for some time. :)
Last edited by Glen on Sun May 05, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun May 05, 2019 4:01 pm

We’ve had the 63 in the family since 69...I don’t believe the clutch pedal has ever been adjusted. Once you get it right and don’t abuse it, it changes very little...

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Make sure you grease it at least a couple times a year.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Sun May 05, 2019 5:31 pm

I did carefully set the clutch fingers to 1-1/4" as described in numerous places on this forum. I screwed the first adjuster as I measured the rotation, until the surface was at the 1-1/4" mark on a machinist scale. Then I rotated the engine/clutch so the next finger was at the same location and carefully screwed the adjuster the same amount. Then did the third one the same way. Then checked them all the way around again. And they all appear to be at the same level. The new supporting frame is tight on the throw-out bearing pins. I can rotate the bearing by hand, but it definitely doesn't flop around. This Cub is used maybe 10 or 12 hours a week throughout the summer months, and maybe only 4 or 5 hours a week during the winter. We use it often for gathering firewood. And mowing 6 or 8 acres.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M