This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Which Electric Brake Controller is Best

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Which Electric Brake Controller is Best

Postby pete1941 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:28 am

Just purchased a tandem axle trailer with electric brakes on one axle. Now I need the controller for the brakes and need opinions on which one is best. I know this is like asking which is the best truck to buy, but in talking with friends here, there seems to be some good, some not so good. Your opinions will be appreciated. Pete

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:42 am

Hi Pete. I have two different controllers , a Draw-tite in my Dakota and a Hayes-Lemmerz(ENGAGE) in my big Int L-160. I personnally like the simple Draw-tite the best because of it's simple settings. You just adjust the two small slide levers(one for strength(on the front) and one for timing(on the side)) and you're good to go. The ENGAGE is new technology, all digital readout, and you have to carry the cheat card with you know what all the problem codes mean (SC,CL,OC,HF.bF). The ENGAGE might even be a better unit, but between the two, I like the simple Draw-tite.

I think they both cost me about the same $69-79, I had to install them both.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:54 am

Thanks Rick for the info, my neighbor pulls lots of heavy equipment and he said he has used several different types and some of them, don't remember the names, he had to adjust differently when going through town and out on the open road. I don't want to get into this type of unit because I would probably forget to reset the controller when I hit the open road and that wouldn't be good. Do your type units work well without continously having to reset them for different driving situations? Pete

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:03 am

Pete, even with the simple Draw-tite, I have to lighten the setting when the trailer is empty and apply more when it's loaded. I think you'll get used to that part, it's easy, kinda like adjusting your mirrors :D Too much brake when the trailer is empty will skid the tires, and depending how heavy your load is, it's nice to have that adjusting feature. I think even your "old school" mechanical controllers of the 60's still needed adjusting. I don't think you'll get away from that with any electric controller, but I'm sure someone will proove my wrong :shock:

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:24 am

I have a Prodigy. It's easy to adjust and is really user-friendly. Much nicer than the older mechanical and pendelum controllers. Like Rick's, it needs to be adjusted for load weight but it's soooo much better (and reliable) than the old ones.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:01 am

Let me try and clarify what I was asking, I didn't do a very good job at that to begin with. The neighbor is speaking of the same load, same vehicle, and the difference between city driving and on the open road. He says that you have to reduce the braking capacity in the city to keep from constantly sliding the trailer wheels, but he has to remember to set the unit back to it's initial setting when he gets out on the road or he won't have enough braking then, that's what I don't want. I just spoke with him again and he says the Vanguard is the most consistant one. Have you guys had any experience with it?

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:20 am

I have a Draw-Tite Activator and have had it in 3 or 4 trucks and used it on about as many different trailers. I normally trade trucks every 3-4 years so it is getting some age on it (10-12 years) and it is about time for a new one (truck and controller). I will buy another controller from Draw-tite. Like Rick said, they are good, simple to use, and unlike the sticker price for a new truck, they won't break the bank to buy one. They are a "timed" type controller rather than a "proportional" type, under $100 and can be mounted in any position.

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:33 am

pete i think one of mine is a draw/tite and the other a journey. the journey is the same kind my dad had installed. the place that installed it didn't carry that brand they had draw/tite and he said the journey would be his 1st pick. for what ever thats worth to ya.
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:44 am

Thanks Guys for the info, as Rick probably sensed, it has been a long, long while since I dealt with any brake controller, 60's to be exact. I know there are great differences from then till now. Pete

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:47 am

I have used some different ones over the years, and like either the Tekonsha Voyager, or the Prodigy series. The Voyager is fairly inexpensive, and is reliable. It has settings for levelling, and amount of brakign. Teh Tekonsha is self leveling, and has a contorl for amount of braking applied. It also has a push button that lets you change the amount of braking applied when changing form Interstate to city driving. It is not cheap, running in the $100 range, but also has a lifetime warranty. No matter waht kind you get, make sure it is an inertia unit with proportianal braking, not a time based unit.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:52 am

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy. http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html If you want one that reqires a minimum of fiddling and adjusting, that is the one. You have one setting: does the loaded trailer weigh less than, more than or about the same as the truck. No pendulum adjustment or such required. Take a look here http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/towing/42788-prodigy-vs-low-end-drawtite-brake/ for what seems to be a pretty knowledgable reply to a question similar to yours.

They have have available ($) plug-in wiring harnesses for the most popular trucks so you don't have to even splice a wire. Here is a web based site that has the controller and a list of available harnesses. http://www.hitchestogo.com/Tekonsha_Prodigy_Brake_Controller.htm

The only problem I have seems to be the fault of the trailer brakes themselves. They sure like to grab and skid a wheel or two the first few brake applications of the day. I assume a little surface rust in the brakes causes that. This has remained through 3 trucks and 2 controllers. I've gotten partly used to it but it concerns the onlookers.

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:05 am

Is it possible to get a controller that has a provision for a weight sensor on the trailer axle? That way there would be no need to adjust for weight conditions.

Rick (I want VERY simple) Dulas

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:23 am

Jim, that's a very interesting, informative article, Thanks. As far as the first 2 or 3 braking times, I know what you mean and have had the stares while pulling friends boats with either surge or electrical brakes :oops: . Lots of good advice, as usual, from several of you guys. Thanks

drspiff, looks as if the Prodigy in Jim's link above, comes closer to what you are speaking of. Not exactly the same, but close, and I suppose as close as we can come now.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:43 am

Rick,
I don't know of any systems that provide any feedback from the trailer to the controller. Seems it would require a line from the trailer forward and I don't even know of a harness configuration with that provision.

Here is something I should have elaborated on in my first post.

Most (all?) controllers start to react as soon as they get power from the brake light switch, a point at which the truck brakes aren't actually doing anything yet. The controllers usually send a weak signal to the brakes so they will take up up their slack and provide an insignificant amount of braking force. Then as the truck brakes start to do something, they use the pendulum or inertia sensor to control increases in power to the trailer brakes.

As far as I remember, the relative weight setting on the Prodigy only alters the initial power sent to the brakes each time you step on the pedal. If the trailer is heavier, you want a bit more power on the initial action. I believe that once the inertia readings come into play, the manual setting has no (or very little) effect.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:34 pm

The manual setting of the Prodigy limits maximum braking applied. There is a push button that allows you to adjust how fast the brakes come into action in regard to the inertia controller. The Tekonsha website has complete installation,/user instructions you can download. I originally put one on my Rnager due to it's doft springs making levelling adjustment to the controller necessary everytime the load in the trailer changed. I liked it so well that when I bought the F150 I alos bought one to go in it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”