This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

JD Gator, Opinions Wanted

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

JD Gator, Opinions Wanted

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:01 pm

Going to look at a JD Gator 4x6.

Opinions? What to look for?

Year appears to be in the early 1990's.

Asking price $2900-.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: JD Gator, Opinions Wanted

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:03 pm

My brother has a 2x4 gator!

Him and his wife love it, but it grinds like crazy when you put it in gear!

I would think there is some adjustment on the brake pedal to the trans that is outa wack!

He is a millwright maintence professional, but for some reason he is just being lazy with this thing and not messed with it......

I guess it will be better to replace the trans when it is junk vs making some adjustments!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:53 pm

My neighbor traded his gas, 4 wheel Gator on a diesel, 6 wheel one, I believe it was a 1999 model year. He drove it around his property (12 acres) 2 or 3 times then loaded the bed with a garage closet contents and parked it in his barn. There it sat for 2 years.

Sadly he died a year ago and I addressed EVERYTHING in the barn for his widow. Some air in all tires and a fresh battery and it fired right up. It had the electric dump bed and it didn't work. There's no way to disengage it without fishing your way from below, with limited access to disconnect the ram. Non electric dump has a simple release. There's a massive skid plate under it (and limited ground clearance) which I guess is a good thing for protection, but not so good for access. Couldn't dump the bed, can't access the engine to check the oil. One of the son in laws wanted it so I didn't pursue it further.

I have a 2006 Kubota RTV 900, and in my opinion, the JD was more like a golf cart (ride and feel, bed was plastic) and not the work horse a Kubota is. But, for a 20 year old machine, it appeared to hold up well and functioned ok (other than the dump bed). So, might boil down to the intended use and your expectations.
Is it gas or diesel?

Here's the only picture I have of the one he had:
20200308_170006_1.jpg

Good luck!
David

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:31 pm

Bought it. Farmer, 1000 acres, has a new Gator 6X4.

Obvious farm use and obvious it has been sitting for a while.

Jump started, drove it around a bit. Shut off, talked, started without jump starting. Did kick the tires. Two back tires flat. Valve cores replaced, fixed.

Can lock in/out the rear wheels for two wheel or 4 wheel drive.

Needs servicing and the box bed painted.

Think wife will drive it. Automatic and she won't drive anything with a clutch.

On battery maintainer for night.

Tomorrow will see if it will climb the steep slopes of the acreage south and west fence line.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:25 am

I own a 2000 6x4 that I fixed up. Mine was used on a golf driving range and originally had a curtis cab with lexan windshield and expanded metal in place of side and back windows. After selling the cab I bought new fenders and a John Deere top and windshield. I also added other goodies like hitches front and rear for a winch etc.and rear lights
They all grind according to the gator forums. If the belt is spinning at all, it'll grind. Focus on getting it to idle down and make sure the drive clutch moves out and releases.
I actually use my hand brake for brakes. Easier for me than lifting my leg onto the foot pedal. They are both hooked to the same place. Mine has "wet brakes" mounted inside the transfer case on each side and run in fluid. Changing fluid helped but still grinds unless it idles down. I now jumpered the safety switch and I just leave it in forward all the time. Apply the hand brake and it stops the secondary from spinning.
Here's 3 pics
gator test old.jpg

gator test new 1.jpg

gator test new 2.jpg
Last edited by Rick Prentice on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:01 am

I own a 2012 Gator 825i. No complaints, other than parts are very expensive.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 am

Tomorrow will see if it will climb the steep slopes of the acreage south and west fence line.
I've done alot of experimenting with mine. It'll climb great when it's locked in to 4wd, but doesn't turn very good at all, just pushes the front tires forwards. Another thing to expect with the wife driving, once the gator rolls over a hill, the front end will be suspended in mid air till the rear wheels roll over the hill. Dont go too fast because the front end will slam down and jar your teeth. I'm 270# and it'll still do it with me driving. Watch some youtube videos of the younger generation making jumps and you'll see what I'm talking about. Keep your chains adjusted and lubed up. The front sprockets wear and then wear the chain and clicking will develop as the chain moves.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Use the Gator for several hours today. Worked fine. Grinds when shifiting gears. Valve cover gaskets leak.

Removed the bed to help access for service. Definately been used on a farm. Bath/pressure spray time to remove the mounds of dirt and plant debris.

Printing out the Service manuals. Used up two print cartridges. Walmart trip tonight to purchase several more.

Wife did drive the Gator around a bit. I don't think she is very happy with it. Two wheel drive, son drove the Gator up one of the steeper slopes. Should do well for maintaining the south and west fence line.

Rick Prentice wrote:Another thing to expect with the wife driving, once the gator rolls over a hill, the front end will be suspended in mid air till the rear wheels roll over the hill.
We found that out when loading after purchase. Trailer headed down hill, steep ramp climb. Gator climbed up the ramps, front wheels were off the trailer deck until the mid wheels hit the top of the ramp.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Now you need one (or two, or three :lol:) of these EZTrail compact gravity wagons, and you'll be set for black walnut harvest!

1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:14 pm

Hosed the Gator down. Not rusted out. Couple of spots for paint touch up, mostly the battery box.

Couldn't find a JD Service/repair manual that was very informative. Looked up the Kawasaki engine service and repair manuals - - very informative. The electrical section has complete wiring diagrams with wire colors. Then pictorals on how to test each appliance, test points and expected Ohms.

Valve cover gaskets and tie rod boots on order. Not JD parts, twice the price of Kawasaki and generic.

One fender cracked and a chip broken out. $229- for a plastic fender. Won't replace. It would just get broken again.

Something else. The drivers position is a bit on the small size, even with the seat slid all the way back..
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Fello Gator owners. Kawasaki FD620 D engine, 2 cylinder gas.

Is there an easier way to drain the coolant from the engine block?

Book says to remove the muffler and oil fill dip stick holder. Don't want to remove the muffler. Probably hasn't been removed in 26 years and I don't want to break one of the bolts holding the muffler to engine block and then still have to purchase two new gaskets.

Crappy last couple of days. Gator under tarp in back yard. The valve cover gaskets, mailed USPS, still in California. Been there for several days.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat May 15, 2021 11:17 am

Rick Prentice wrote:In to 4wd, but doesn't turn very good at all, just pushes the front tires forwards.
12 each 80 lb cement bags, 960 lbs, in Gator bed. Hauls the load without problem. 2wd, minimal, almost no steering with driver and passagner, 450 lbs, in seats.

We are moving the cement from the drive in front of son's house to the rear where we are pouring a sidewalk. Don't want to load the bed with more than a couple hundred lbs when working on the steep slopes along fence line.

Still need to clean and lubricate the clutches and some other minor work on the gator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 am

I had to jumper the neutral start and slip the shifter into gear, then hold the brake and start it. I couldn't get the primary clutch to release far enough to allow the secondary to stop spinning. Engineers should've put a brake pad on the secondary to stop it. Plus I installed new transfer oil (very expensive) to stop the growling of the wet brakes, located inside the transfer and running in oil. Two things older gator owners have to live with, I guess.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun May 16, 2021 9:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKmx3YvTB8

Above link, guy put a brake on the secondary clutch. Not sure if using the parking brake to stop the clutch is practical. Will investigate and see if there is something more practical, like applying a clutch brake in conjuction with the regular brakes.

So far, Ebay and Amazon have the JD parts considerably less expensive than JD dealers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon May 17, 2021 8:07 am

I like that idea on youtube but I would've put the brake lever on the shifter lever. Soon as you let go of the brake to shift it starts spinning again. On mine, the Ebrake and foot brake are tied together and only apply pressure to the internal wet brakes. There's no effect on the spinning secondary.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”