This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

You Know You're Getting Old When....

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

You Know You're Getting Old When....

Postby ricky racer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:14 pm

No joke here. Getting old is a pain, there's just no way around it. Spending years on my feet building machines for 10 hours a day has taken it toll on this old body. So much so that I've had to take a different kind of work for the last few years. I just can't be on my feet that long anymore without pain. Today I work as a Buyer at the last company that I previously worked as a machine builder. I sit on my butt all day and buy material and components to build the machines now instead of turning wrenches. I am thankful every day that the company gave me that opportunity and I still get a chance to use the skills I've learned in the procurement of material for the machine builds.

Anyway, my feet, knees and hips can get sore while attending tractor shows too, which is a bummer. I decided to make a small portable seat that would be fairly easy and light to carry and fairly compact. This is what I came up with. I had an old cane that had been around for decades. I cut the crook off of it and wanted to attached a small seat to it. A bicycle seat seemed like a natural selection. I pulled the seat off of an old bicycle but the mount on the seat base had a larger diameter (.875") than the cane (.750"). To make up the difference I cut a piece of 1" EMT conduit about 1-1/4" long. It was real loose around the cane tubing so I took it to work and crimped it onto the cane tubing with a hydraulic, hose crimping machine. It worked perfectly and the seat easily attached. Next thing will be to attach a strap to facilitate easier carrying, probably over the shoulder. It's not a real "sit down" seat, just something to take the load off of my feet once in a while once the old dogs start barking. I'll give it a go this weekend at one of the area's largest tractor shows and report back. I hope it doesn't end up just being something to carry around. :roll:

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: You Know You're Getting Old When....

Postby BullDAWG » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:19 am

Love it, that would also come in handy when milking cows or even working on the tractor . Thanks for the idea, now I'm gonna run (or should I say "sit") with it...
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Return to “Projects Forum”