This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

junk nuts and bolts

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

junk nuts and bolts

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Our local farm supply carries the Hillman line of hardware which has traditionally been good quality, but lately it is getting bad. Last week I bought a turnbuckle that was marked 1/2" x 6" to put on the chain to level my newest flail when I lift it, and when I went to put a jam nut on it I Neither an SAE or metric nut would screw on it. Both would start, but neither would go on all the way. The screw in end was not 1/2" as marked, but apparently 18mm, which is very close to 1/2, but neither my SAE and Metric thread gauges would match it.

Yesterday I picked up 6 carriage bolts 1/2x2 along with 6 nuts. 2 of the carriage bolts had bad threads and one of the nuts. That makes 3 bad of 12 units, or a 25% failure rate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: junk nuts and bolts

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

When the local ACE Hardware store turned into Town and Country they had had a fairly decent selection of nuts and bolts. When I was installing the engine cover on my '55 Cub this past year, I was torqueing the bolts to (I think) 20 lbs, and one of them seemed to just keep going without getting tight (using a torque wrench that was good). I carefully backed it out, and it had started to "stretch". I then removed all of them and found that over half were NOT the Grade 5 they were supposed to be. I know...I should have examined more carefully!! I took the entire batch of hardware back to them and the first thing I realized was that they didn't even know what Grade 5 or 8 bolts were! We finally figured out that the supplier had substituted Grade "whatever" for the Grade 5's. They were absolutely worthless...20 lbs torque is NOTHING! :big give up:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: junk nuts and bolts

Postby Stanton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:38 am

John, take them back and explain it to the hardware store manager. Insist they report back to Hillman. Things change when enough people object to an inferior product.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety