This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"Interesting?" day yesterday? NO! (AKA need truck rental advice)

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

"Interesting?" day yesterday? NO! (AKA need truck rental advice)

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:39 pm

Yesterday was not a very good day, at least in one aspect. A lady made a RIGHT turn from the LEFT turn lane, right into me, as I was travelling in the right lane of a 4-lane highway. She really went out of her way to hit my car, from the front kleft quarter panel all the way to the driver's taillight! At first it looked mostly cosmetic, as I had tried to turn away from her, but ran out of road and she raked my left side. But once I got back on the road heading home, I thought I had left the window down a little bit, since it was whistling. it was all the way up, and I realized the door was "bowed out", about 1/4-1/2" at the top.

So, police report made, insurance companies informed, and now I wait for instructions on how to proceed. There is no question as to who was at fault, so I am hoping things move along quickly. That being said, I have also been told that along with everything else in the world, things for the auto body business are backed up, due to Covid as well as product shortages. Thus, it may be quite a while before I see my Expedition repaired.

My question for y'all is has anyone rented a truck to haul a trailer, and do you have recommendations? The trailer alone is about 2000#, and I will be carrying one cub, one Leinbach 3-point rake, and one fast hitch toolbar with standards attached (don't remember right off how many), plus some miscellaneous things to sell. So I would say at least 5000# load towing capacity.

I did a quick Google search, and Enterprise offers a 3/4-ton pickup for about $480/week, with free 750 miles, plus $0.29/mile after that (+$100).
Thanks for any info/advice!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: "Interesting?" day yesterday? NO! (AKA need truck rental advice)

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Dale, You need to make sure that the rental allows a trailer to be pulled and is set up with a receiver and/or hitch. I've seen some that forbid trailers and thus weren't equipped to pull one.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:58 pm

Bummer. I can't tell you much related to truck rental, but will throw in the tidbit that some companies don't allow towing. Period. Be sure about what the rental contract says. The last I knew, U-Haul only allows towing with some of their largest box trucks. (They may even limit you to only towing their trailers. I don't know that but wouldn't be surprised.)

Dale Finch wrote:. . . There is no question as to who was at fault, so I am hoping things move along quickly. . . .

But back to this comment. There is no question of who is at fault until you get to the insurance companies. I thought the same thing you said and didn't find out otherwise until I got to the insurance company and found the other party had already filed a claim against us. We went through a bunch of nonsense and got some insurance arbitrator to finally conclude we were not at fault. THEN I filed my claim against the other paarty. Their insurance company refused to pay. They said the arbitrator only said we weren't at fault, not that they were. So they refused. They finally gave in after I told them we were going back to arbitration on my claim. I also offered to ask for the same arbitrator. They finally paid.

Bottom line, make sure you have every scrap of evidence you can gather. Any chance there are some skid marks you can photograph?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:01 pm

In addition to Jim's second paragraph, make sure a police report was filed and you have a copy when available.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:06 pm

Thanks, Bob & Jim. I had done some quick searches regarding towing, etc, and you are correct about most not allowing it, or (as with U-Haul) only allowing you to tow THEIR trailers. In fact, Enterprise was the only one I had found, so far. Thus, my reason for posting, in case other folks have been down this road before.

Jim, I agree with you on "slippery" insurance companies. I have photos of BOTH vehicles, and am keeping copious records of communications. I am not expecting totally smooth sailing, especially I am going to (TRY to) insist on all OEM parts. I know...good luck with that!

Anyway, fingers crossed!

P.S. Printed off the police report this morning...thanks!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:03 pm

Suggest waiting a bit for your insurance company's adjuster to evaluate the vehicle. Then your insurance company's report - payment.

Your company will probably pay before the other company.

If you think this is going to court - include the cost of hiring someone to move whatever you had planned to move, for your deductible, and any other unreimbursed expenses?

Reason I'm suggesting waiting a few days, what appears to be cosmetic damage may be sufficient enough to total the vehicle.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:41 pm

I do agree that the damage is more extensive than first appearance. I know the door is bowed outwards, and I have the retractable step (on each side) that seems to function correctly, but with closer examination, it could have damage, too, since the adjacent area is dented significantly. Every panel is affected on the driver's side, as well as the rear aluminum wheel rim...and maybe tire(s), since the car was pushed sideways.

My insurance company has already filed a claim against hers...so it's waiting time. Sigh... :?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:08 pm

Subrogation is a term describing a right held by most insurance carriers to legally pursue a third party that caused an insurance loss to the insured. (Had to look that one up.)

My property, real estate, has been the victim of several accidents. My insurance company has always paid me directly then went after the individual who caused the damage.

And suspension damage as well as perhaps the frame.

Good thing you own an Expedition and not a smaller vehicle. Glad you are OK.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:00 pm

Sorry for your misfortune!

Praise the Lord your ok!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:05 am

Sorry you got side swiped, Dale. Glad you’re ok. I was going to suggest not signing any offers from their insurance, but since your insurance is doing the fighting, that’s a good thing.

On a side note, I’ve watched too many YouTube videos of Idiots in Cars to feel totally safe on the road.

Hope this thing gets sorted out to your satisfaction.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:59 am

Might want to try a Home Depot or Menards truck rental.
Other Options... Can you just rent a big box truck and put it all inside the box?
I think I've seen a cub inside a sprinter van.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 am

My neighbor has a 3 axle box trailer, not sure length or rating but it will fit at least one NASCAR vehicle and all the sundries for a weekend at the track. He doesn't have a tow vehicle and usually "borrows" one of the pool vehicles from his employer. Recently none of the pool vehicles were available so he rented an F250 from Enterprise. He went from Michigan to one of the Carolinas and back so he chose a higher daily rate that gave him more miles.

He wasn't real happy with the handling but I think he's in the habit of using heavier trucks.

One interesting thing is the truck had a 3" receiver so he needed to use an adapter sleeve for his 2" hitch. He has his own sleeve so I'm not clear on whether Enterprise has them.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 am

Go with enterprise i have rented their trucks most are dodge diesels and never had a problem.

Jim

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 am

Thanks, Jim and others.
I haven't heard back from the insurance companies yet, and will do nothing until I do...except I will probably call Enterprise to get a quote and see what the availability would be...and how much advance notice they need to ensure they have a suitable truck.

I already had a service appointment scheduled at the dealer, in preparation for the trip to the Bash, and I'm hoping I can get them to look closely at "unseen areas" to make sure there are no structural/safety issues...since both wheels were impacted, who knows what might be waiting to fail?!
Things WILL work out! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:15 am

Is it "driveable" to the dealership? We need photos! :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor