This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

184 Restoration

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rednax
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1977 International 184
Circle of Safety: Y

184 Restoration

Postby rednax » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm currently restoring a used up 184 as a 4h project. I have everything apart and had a few questions regarding wear. 1. Is there any way to reduce side to side movement of the brake pedals? They can slide on the shaft quite a bit and I don't see anything at hamiltonbobs to fix it. 2. Is there any way to reduce slop on the three point hitch? The exact spot is at the leveling screw assembly and the lift link swivel (9 and 10 on the parts manual diagram). 3. What is considered too much gear wear? Some of the gears in the transmission have some wear on the sides, and I don't know how much is too much. It might cost a lot to fix it, but I got the tractor, a three point blade and three point mower for $450 so it isn't a big deal. Two possibilities I thought of to fix 1 and 2 are either welding where the metal was ground off or adding bushings or washers to make up for the lost material. Any help is appreciated.
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 184 Restoration

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:18 am

Sounds like a great 4H project. As is, you should be able to sell the tractor and implements for the $450- or more.

Does the tractor run? If not get the engine running. Then operate the tractor for a while to see what need fixing. You can easily more money on a project tractor than it's worth - will sell for.

Transmission gear side wear. Probably from the shifting forks. I wouldn't worry about it if the transmission functions properly.

Sideways slop. Bushings or washers - cheap fix.

Edit about 4 hours later. Checked my 154.

Dual brakes, there is side to side slop of the pedals on the shaft, perhaps 1/4". Nothing to worry about. Not worn, just made that way.

3-point leveling screw side slop. About 1/4" side slop on the pin. Nothing to worry about. Not worn. Made that way.
I have an excuse. CRS.