This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

garden start 2015

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

garden start 2015

Postby SONNY » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:41 pm

This was the very first thing that went into the gardens!

ONOINS!----

I have been without internet mostly all year,( dumped Hughes net and found a local 2 man isp that seems to work) but I have several pics to share!---Most interesting ones are the harvest pics.

The creeper has undergone a speed change as well (not sure how fast now but thinking maybe 10 feet per min. on high engine speed setting)
I have to figure out how to upload pics to p-bucket again!---This Windows 10 is a new animal and NOT too user friendly,---I still liked 7 but upgrade was now or never, so I gotta relearn it!
How was all your gardens this year?---we started out late/cold/wet again just like last year, but wound out the harvest with some good veggies! thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: garden start 2015

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Physically unable to do much gardening this year. Did manage the small garden plot behind the house in town, about 7 feet square. Managed to harvest green beans, radish, and dill weed. Kohlrabi and beets were a failure.

Have three asparagus patches and a black berry patch. Lots of great asparagus and black berries for cobbler and jelly.

Now that we have had some soaking showers, think I will expand the behind the house garden another foot on each side.

Spent part of the afternoon on the internet looking at garden seeds for next year. Thinking about trying yellow doll melons on a trellis and some sweet cherry tomatoes in addition to the radish.

Use to have a moderately large garden at son's house. Garden was on a slope and the soil washed badly during heavy rains. Perhaps giving up on this garden plot. We would purchase straw bales and set on the up hill side to keep the soil from washing. Spent around $30- every other year to maintain the straw bales.

May reduce the size of garden at son's house and only plant melons. This garden has a permanently damp area, great for melons.

Edit: Thinking about Tristan strawberries. Have the containers, so why not give them a try.
I have an excuse. CRS.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby v w » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:33 am

Overall garden was good this year. Cold weather made for less than real good with a cold wet spring followed by a cool wet summer. But the cabbage grew nicely. It was September before we had our first 90 degree day. Onions - good, corn - good, tomatoes only fair, cukes - by the bushel, sweet potatoes - hardly worth digging, pumpkins and squash decent, asparagus - late but large crop, beans - we finally pulled them we had so many we were tired of them, potatoes - very good, beets - many. Carrots and parsnips still in ground but are very good. My favorite, melons were not so good. But gardening like farming there's always next year. Our larder is full and some stuff given to local food pantry. Life is good. Vern

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Here are a few more of our harvest pics.----The biggest sweets weigh 7 pounds and some of them had several smaller ones on the same plant!---The ones in the pic., were 7 ---6----and 4 pounds! ended up with 2,000 pounds total from the 600 plants.---we have been taking them to the mission kitchen again this year!---still have lots more to take in to them!----have gotten the locals to take several hundred pounds as well!

One of the big guys that I cut is in the pic. and it took me several settings to eat a 7 pound tato!!! LOL!!---tasted good and was free of any strings!---we had 5 or 6 different kinds and all did well.

One of the many wagon loads that came to the back porch to dry/cure is in the pic.

The pic of the digger I made is what it took to dig deep enough to get under the tubers,--and no the cub would not pull it deep enough so I had to use the WD to do the job!!
I have more pics of the harvest---these cover the sweet tatoes!! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:07 pm

This was also a bad year for fungus and I ended up doing a lot of spraying for it! any of you have that problem ?? Had to watch the cabbage closely for cabbage rot and cabbage worms early on, then later then backed off some, and our long season cabbage went on to make 25 pound heads, big and tender/tasty, never got to make kraut from any of it!!--no time to do it! thanks; sonny

eric5324
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18444

Postby eric5324 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:28 am

looks great! I want to try sweet potatoes next year. Did you start your own or buy slips?

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:09 pm

We bought most of them,---grew some of our own.----this year the supplier went from 12 cents per plant to $ 1.69 so we didn't buy any for 2016,-- just have a few of our own home grown slips! thanks; sonny