This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb work on Super M w/overbore

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BeanBoy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06096

Carb work on Super M w/overbore

Postby BeanBoy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 pm

My 1953 Farmall Super M has a 4 1/8" stepped head overbore kit in it. I bought the tractor like that, which is fine because I pull with it and was going to do that anyways. I am interested in mainly stock pulling. With that said, some slight modifications are ok. Modifications like an overbore kit, carb improvements and a little head work aren't really going to put anyones tractor into the enhanced/modified group. I like the "stock" pulling because you aren't butchering up the tractor at all really.
So anyways, my SM is "stock". I have read that a 560 carb lower half will bolt right onto my SM carb and that by doing that you get more fuel flow and a bigger venturi.
Another option I read and much prefer is to put a #29 or #30 venturi in my current SM carb and then enlarge the main jet and metering stem. This is an option I am more interested in as I keep the carb the tractor came with.
Any ideas how I can correctly enlarge the jet and metering stem? or maybe I can just buy that stuff somewhere? And where can I get a #29 or #30 venturi?
Beyond all that, I may consider some porting of the head, but that's a maybe. Besides all that, my SM pulls pretty good as it is, so I am not looking to enhance its power much beyond that.
Any help is appreciated.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carb work on Super M w/overbore

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Beanboy, Welcome to the Forum. Although I can't answer your questions, I'd suggest calling McDonaldcarb.com and talking to Morgan. He should be able to tell you about the availability of parts and hopefully answer your other questions.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein