This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 400 misfire and power loss

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mr C
Zip Code: 54720

Farmall 400 misfire and power loss

Postby Mr C » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:42 pm

I recently inherited a Farmall 400. I hired someone that told me he could perform an oil change an tune up. I had no idea the last time any maintenance had been done on the tractor. Prior to the maintenance work the tractor ran great.

Now after the maintenance work the tractor back-fires, flames will shoot out of the exhaust when under load or the engine is revved up. The tractor also does not have the power to disc a small food plot. This did not occur prior to the work on the tractor.

This is what has been done. The oil has been changed, new plugs and a new distributor cap. There were also new wires put on. The wires that were put on are the type that are to be cut to length, stripped and clamped on to a fitting. The wires were assembled but never cut to length. They are cable tied together. As for the gas, it is old. The tractor has been stored outside, under a shed protected from rain and snow in northern Wisconsin.

Any ideas on the problem. I have been told it could be the gas or the wires on the cap are not in the correct order. I do have the manual on the tractor.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 400 misfire and power loss

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:31 pm

Welcome.

Spark plug wires on two wrong spark plugs. First guess.

Ignition timing. Second guess.

Tractor runs, bad gas would not be on my list of potential problems.

Ask for the labor money back. Pay for the parts. You didn't get a full tune up; compression tests, valve tappet adjustment.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mr C

Postby Mr C » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:27 am

Thank you much. I will check the plug wire order.

Mr C

Postby Mr C » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:51 pm

For Eugene, as you suspected, it was spark plug wires on two wrong plugs. Runs great now. Thanks for the help.