This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Early B Manual Start Conversion?

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GusJ
Zip Code: 52352

Early B Manual Start Conversion?

Postby GusJ » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:34 pm

I have an early model B with only a manual start. The block is cracked and needs replaced. I was wondering how easy it would be to buy a block with the starter mount. Also what would it take to set up the starter, I believe I would need a generator. Would also plan on switching to 12v if possible. Very new to this but set on getting the tractor running and improved a little. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Early B Manual Start Conversion?

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:19 pm

The starter goes in from the back side of the flywheel. So you need a bell housing with the starter opening. Your flywheel may not have a ring gear, and may not be notched for a ring gear. If you want to put on a generator (or alternator) you may find the fan hub doesn't have the pulley for the generator belt. Of course, you will need a battery box, a bunch of wiring, and maybe a voltage regulator,

GusJ
Zip Code: 52352

Postby GusJ » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:12 am

Thanks for the info, that should give me a good start.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:38 am

By the way, you can find the installation instructions for the starting attachment in the PDF manuals on this site. Select "PDF Manuals" from the "Quick links" at the top left of this page. Select the [Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 and 140] and [Attachment Manuals] folders. The manual is "Farmall A & B Special Attachments - lighting".

Return to “Farmall B & BN”