This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Resistor

Farmall B & BN Tractors, 1939-1947
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 67357

Resistor

Postby Tractor Rod » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:39 am

:help:
I bought a Farmall B snd it ran great for awhile and then it stopped. I isolated the problem and it was a bad resistor. It is converted to 12 volt and has the small external porcelain resistor. I bought a new resistor and put it on and it started right up. The next day I tried to start it and it wouldn’t run again so I bypassed the resistor and it fired right up. Can I run the tractor without the resistor or what are the recommendations? I don’t know why it is burning up the resistor? Thanks in advance for your help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Resistor

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:16 pm

You need the resistor is you are using a 6 volt ignition coil. Use an Echlin, Chrysler, ballast resistor from the auto parts store.

Why the resistor filiment is breaking - unknown. May not be burining up, just breaking - bad luck.

You can run the tractor without the ballast resistor. It will burn the ignition points up if you do.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Tractor Rod » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Thanks. I’ll buy one tomorrow morning.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:45 pm

There are two different Ohm resistors available. It doesn't make any difference which one to choose. Idea is, the resistor drops the voltage across the points to between 6 and 9 volts.

The resistor need to be fastened solid to keep it from flopping around.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tractor Rod
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Tractor Rod » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks. I believe it is the original 6 V coil that is on it. Does that mean I still need a resistor on the front side to drop the voltage down to 6 before it goes into the coil? Or can it just be wired directly without a resistor not causing a problem?

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:36 pm

You need to know if your coil has an internal resistor. Many will have it marked on the coil.
A 6v coil doesn't need an internal or external resistor and should read around 1.5 ohms.
A 12v coil needs to have an internal or external resistor and should read around 3 ohms.
Simple enough with a cheap multi-meter connected to the + and - terminals on the coil and reading the resistance.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:03 pm

indy61 wrote:You need to know if your coil has an internal resistor. Many will have it marked on the coil.
A 6v coil doesn't need an internal or external resistor and should read around 1.5 ohms.
6 volt coil needs a ballast resistor when the tractor is converted to 12 volts to drop the voltage at the ignition points to between 6 and 9 volts. The prior conversion to 12 volts already has a resistor.
A 12v coil needs to have an internal or external resistor and should read around 3 ohms.
OK. You can purchase a 12 volt coil with internal resistor. It cost quite a bit more than the ballast resistor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall B & BN”