This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Liftall and hydraulic setup Farmall h.

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Liftall and hydraulic setup Farmall h.

Postby pokitisme » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 am

Well I am trying to get the Piston moving on my Farmall H 3-point. Now I do not know if the Piston is operational or not and a hose is badly damaged but I found no leaks. The problem I'm having is the operation from what I understand you pull the handle out to let oil into the system you put the handle in the middle to hold the oil in the system you push the handle forward to release oil from the system back into the belly pump. So here are a few questions. Are there testing devices that can be used to test pressure. I called up tractor supply company and they said they do not have any but they do exist. Another question. Does the sound of the hydraulic lever moving fluid back and forth does that make any sound. Does the Billy pump make any sound maneuvering the fluid. I am going to post some pictures of how the setup is on the tractor and I am going to try and post some pictures of the three point system I have.

Also using the 3-point piston I have do I need a valve or a hose going to the piston and a return hose coming back from the piston and with the configuration I have which hose goes where in the goes top or bottom or does the return go top or bottom on the tractor

Tractor....

https://ibb.co/nbj1kw

https://ibb.co/mrDiyG

https://ibb.co/dPXFCb
https://ibb.co/dXB3yG
https://ibb.co/gnyYyG
https://ibb.co/j1Rgkw
...... three points system
Sorry I don't have any more pictures of the three-point on this phone.
What I can tell you is the hydraulic hose is connected at the bottom of the three-point on the bottom part of the Piston. At the top part of a piston is a metal screw with a very little hole on the edge of the screw. As I do not know anything about Hydraulics or anything like that and am a tractor noob. Any advice would be helpful LOL.

https://ibb.co/bPsRJG

https://ibb.co/mb2Xsb

https://ibb.co/d3yGJG

On a side note I did talk to Tractor Supply Company. They said I could buy a piston off them and if it did not work I could return it there is a 30-day return on stuff like that even if used my next eventual plan is to purchase one of those Pistons as a test piston to see if there is any operation with the hydraulics. If my piston and three points system does not add up. I will give you a little info this piston and three points system was attached to another Farmall h I do not know what year. As the guy that sold me the tractor apparently buys these tractors and other implements at auction and he owns a dairy farm or a farm with cows I don't know. He sells this stuff on the side. He was a really cool old guy who offered to do payments with me. I bought the tractor $800 straight. And then and buying a trailer on incremental payments. This guy is willing to sell me anything and have me do payments because he likes me LOL. He has a couple of Ford tractors which I am looking at along with many other tractors he has new and old. The only problem is this guy did no repairs at all to the Tractor he just painted it and resole it. So the three point system may not even work it's bent up and slightly damaged has been well-used. But for four hundred bucks I thought it was a steal.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Liftall and hydraulic setup Farmall h.

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 am

The tractor appears to be fitted with a two way hydraulic system, hydraulic pressure up and down.

The apparatus at the rear of the tractor appears to have a one way hydraulic cylinder, one hose and opening in plug at top of the cylinder. Hydraulic pressure raises the implement, implement weight lowers it.

Test. Borrow a 2 way hydraulic cylinder with snap coupling fittings. Try the hydraulic system and see if the cylinder moves in and out.

Greshen hydraulic control valves are common. There should be a part number on the control valve. Internet search with manufacturers name and part number will tell you how the control valve functions.

The hydraulic system will probably not make noise if the pumped hydraulic fluid is passing through the control valve, returning to the reservoir. If the hydraulic system is maxed out or dead headed, there will be a noise, groaning.

Did the 3-point come mounted on the tractor, probably not? Do you know which make and model tractor the 3-point mounts on?
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Eugene wrote:
Did the 3-point come mounted on the tractor, probably not? Do you know which make and model tractor the 3-point mounts on?

I am very sure it was another Farmall H that the 3-point was mounted on it was fully mounted meaning it was bolted on and it was securely on there I had to use an impact wrench to get it off. I am very very sure it was a Farmall H that it was on. I do not know the year of the Farmall h. Now I am also very sure that I can mount this on my tractor. As I see where you're going with this that the new vidiot tractor owner might have got a three point system that might not fit on his tractor LOL. I have measured everything out my only dilemma is if I can keep the bar that's on there right now sorry it eludes me what it's called at the moment with the three-point and I'm still trying to measure that up. I think it's called the pull bar or something like that that is the entire thing that mounts to the axle and to the actual pull bar. Excuse my ignorance and terminology. But I do have quite a few videos up there on YouTube If you so wish to observe them. And actually a few of the pictures I posted has the 3-point setting right behind the tractor. Cuz due to its weight I need a couple more concrete blocks to raise it up a little bit higher and get it into position

Oh I forgot to ask with that piston that is on the 3-point where the hoses at the bottom of what looks to be the piston. Which connection would I connect that to the top or bottom connection on the back of the Farmall h. I did connect it up the other day but I was randomly moving the pump handle forward and backward with no knowledge of what I was doing. Also I'm told in order to operate that the clutch needs to be depressed is that correct. Cuz I cannot see operating that while it is in gear so my only assumption is pressing the clutch make the necessary adjustments on the handle and that should do the operations. And then when I'm done making my necessary adjustments release the clutch. During this whole process I believe everything should still be in neutral. See that's the problem I have with the Farmall book I got from Tractor Supply Company is it doesn't give you the Exquisite little details such as that. I mean for God sake it wouldn't even tell me where the damn hydraulic fill plug was for the freaking tractor
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:58 pm

pokitisme wrote:I forgot to ask with that piston that is on the 3-point where the hoses at the bottom of what looks to be the piston.
It's called a hydraulic cylinder. Yes it looks like a piston.
Which connection would I connect that to the top or bottom connection on the back of the Farmall h.
Neither of the hydraulic snap couplings on the rear of the tractor. As I previously stated, your tractor appears to have a two way hydraulic system and the 3-point's hydraulic cylinder is one way. The two different hydraulic systems are normally not compatible.

I suggested a test to see if the 2 way hydraulic system is working in a previous post.

Another suggestion, have a neighboring farmer or construction mechanic come over and look at your tractor and 3-point.

Edit: Gotta love Youtube videos. Some are very good and some make better how not to's.

Another edit. Purchase the Owner's/Operator's manual for the tractor. Owner's manual will show lubrication points and tell you how to operate the tractor. Quick search displayed several sources.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Well please excuse my ignorance here but I'm just trying to make sure I got everything logically processed LOL. So what you're saying is my system on my hydraulic operation is setup for raising and lowering meaning it gives pressure to raise and pressure to lower. And my cylinder sorry my hydraulic piston I forgot what the hell it's called anyway the hydraulic piston that I have on my three-point is specifically designed only for raising the weight of the Implement is what lowers with the Piston I have. Sorry hydraulic cylinder. So if I get you correctly if I replace my hydraulic cylinder on my three-point with a hydraulic cylinder that allows an attachment to the top and the bottom and is specifically designed for pressurized lift and pressurized dissension then that is a two-way hydraulic cylinder as opposed to the single pressure up motion only hydraulic cylinder that I have right now on my three-point. Sorry if you've ever watched any of my videos you know that I can get very technically deep and tear apart the most minoot of details I'm also extremely redundant

also what do you suspect the hydraulic pressure on my version of the H would be sorry I don't remember the serial number but I have put the serial number on a few of my earliest Farmall H videos I'm told that later models of farmall H have a picture of a number eight on them or it's a stencil in the engine block or transmission block whatever. Considering you're saying I have a two-way system hydraulic pressure up and down would that have been common for a 1948 Farmall h of a number 8 on them or its a stencil in the engine block or transmission block whatever considering your saying I have a2 way system hydraulic pressure up and down with that have been common or a 1948 farmalll H or is that something that somebody added on later to make use of a pressure down and pressure up hydraulic cylinder
Last edited by pokitisme on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=farmall ... 98HWp1s1HM:

The plumbing of the hydraulic set up on your H is not something IH would have installed for several reasons. Appears from the photos that a hydraulic hose blocks access to the left brake pedal. The street elbows appear to be cobbled together. The hydraulic hoses are not neatly laid out and are laying on top of the operator's foot rest.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:55 am

Yes the hoses do quite appear to have been placed in a manner which could cause fraying and wear to the hoses. I have noticed that myself. There was another question which I just considered if the hydraulic cylinder is fully extended well again now I'm trying to think about this I guess on the two hoses on the back of my tractor which would be the pressure out and which would be technically the return I guess it wouldn't really matter because you would just have to figure it out with the hydraulic handle. Meaning that it's probably interchangeable which one you could use for Pump and return. And I guess I would have to just test that myself but the exit that I have on the back of my tractor that would be specifically 4 a single hydraulic cylinder setup

I'm sorry I'm asking questions which might seem redundant and easily explain to those of you guys who are familiar with tractors but I am a complete idiot on tractors. I know the feeling when trying to explain the operation and mechanics of firearms to people who do not know any better such as the bump stock issue. But in that concern usually people who do not know about Firearms don't even understand what their use is. As two tractors I am learning quite a bit I am learning from videos off of YouTube and getting good information from you guys but I just want to apologize again for asking too many questions but like I said if you saw any of my videos you know that I'm extremely detailed and an extremely analytic person.