This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall H - No Spark

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallVT4500
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
Tractors Owned: 1946 Farmall H

Farmall H - No Spark

Postby FarmallVT4500 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am working on trying to get my 1946 Farmall H up and running again.
It has been sitting for the last 2 years as I have not had time to use it or work on it.

I have spent the day trying to get her started as when I last parked it, it was running great!
I put in a brand new 6-volt battery and began turning it over.
It appears that I am not getting any spark at all when I ground one of the spark plugs to the frame or just the spark plug connector to the frame.

A friend and I pulled the magneto apart and gave the internals a good cleaning but there was pretty much only surface rust.
There was one wire that looked really old and frayed that connected from the condenser to the points that we replaced with a new wire.
That did not work.

We ended up buying the rebuild kit from tractor supply and replacing the condenser, points, and distributor wheel that spins inside the distributor cap.
That did not work.

It seemed that the only thing left that was not replaced was the coil, so we went down to my girlfriends family farm and stole the coil off their H and tried that with no luck. (I felt that for the coil to go bad from sitting for 2 years does not make sense but I thought I had to at least try it).

We also tried taking the ground switch off in all situations in case that switch was bad and ended up just leaving it off as it does not need that to run.

There is also the little metal tab inside on the top cover where the bolt had a little rust on it.
I pull that off and gave it a good cleaning too.

We are certainly a little frustrated as to why we are not getting ANY spark at all.
The cables from the distributor cap to the spark plug all look good and again does not seem like something that would go bad.

Do any of you Farmall Gurus out there have any suggestions as to what would be causing this issue?

:help:

Thank you in advance!

Tucker

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall H - No Spark

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Did you clean the contacts on the new points? They often come with a coating that has to be removed.
Have you checked for spark directly out of the coil?
Does your impulse coupling have a good solid click?

FarmallVT4500
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
Tractors Owned: 1946 Farmall H

Re: Farmall H - No Spark

Postby FarmallVT4500 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi Jim!

No, I have not tried any of these yet.
I will give it another go tomorrow.

I found some more information here for trouble shooting the H4 Mag: http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... &th=504640

Sounds like there are alot of little things that could be causing the H4 Mag to ground.
I may need to wrap that new wire I put in from the points to the condenser.
The old one that I pulled out today was fully wrapped up.

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”