This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Guess what.. another issue

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Guess what.. another issue

Postby pokitisme » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 am

So I put a brand new carburetor on my 1948 Farmall h. I have gotten the bottom and top screw adjusted on the carburetor so now it starts up every time. Here is the issue I'm having. Whenever I try to put it under load at high throttle. It will go a little bit and then die. If I try to go up a hill in first gear it will almost die in any other gear it will definitely die before the top of a very small hill. if I try to go up any Hill with an implement attached it will definitely die. It starts to go up the hill engine sounds normal but sputters out as I get higher and higher. I could probably make a YouTube video and put it up on my page. for others to see if you guys want me to to help me diagnose this issue. I believe the top screw is set to 2 and 1/2 turns out the bottom screw I am not entirely sure but I know it's supposed to be one and a half.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Guess what.. another issue

Postby Urbish » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:32 pm

This sounds like a fuel starvation issue that may have nothing to do with your carburetor. When it dies, make sure it isn't going to roll away on you and immediately loosen the fuel line at the carburetor. A steady stream of fuel should run out. If it doesn't you either have a blockage in the tank or in the sediment bowl (or a kink in the line restricting flow). I would check that first. This all makes sense as when you go up a hill, the governor will increase the throttle position which will kill the engine if not enough fuel is available.
Last edited by Urbish on Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:35 pm

If you can record a video and post it, that will help diagnose.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Did you ever do a 100% engine tune up?

Low fuel level in gas tank?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:09 am

On my H you have to have several gallons of gas in the tank or else any hill will cause starvation. If you are trying to debug it with only a gallon or two of fuel that may be your problem. Otherwise it sounds like possibly the governor isn't opening the throttle correctly, recheck those adjustments since you replaced the carb,
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:51 am

Could be fuel, but I was thinking like Rick that the governor may be the issue. Have you checked the governor or did any work on it lately?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 am

I have never done a 100% tune up about all spark plugs are firing. The gas line is a home-built rubber hose gas line. The tank is nearly full with gas. There is good gas flow to the carburetor. The video is YouTube it's listed as "Farmall h test run"it could be possible that the governor might be slightly off but I do not believe it is. The adjustments on the governor are different now with the new carburetor. It used to idle at three notches now if idols about halfway.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:01 am

Video Link:

Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:03 am

I haven't watched your whole video yet, but it sounds like the tractor is not running on all 4 cylinders. The oil puked out of the exhaust and all over the hood may have something to do with that. You need to pull all of your spark plugs and see which ones are dirty and assess why it is misfiring. Do this before you make any further carburetor adjustments or start messing with the governor.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am

Eugene wrote:Compression tests, dry then wet. Also check the condition of the spark plugs at this time.

When was the last time you did a complete engine tune up and lub/oil job?

My guess on oil being pumped out between the manifold and exhaust - - rings allowing oil to be pumped into the combustion chamber. This would foul the spark plugs, thus lack of power.
I'm pretty sure you problems are related to your previous post on the topic.

Put a complete engine overhaul in your budget.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Eugene wrote:Put a complete engine overhaul in your budget.

With that much oil blowing out, I fully agree.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Definitely not firing n all 4 cylinders. Be sure the plug wires are in the right order, and/or check plugs to see which ones are black and fouled. That engine is not well at this point....
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:24 am

Urbish wrote:I haven't watched your whole video yet, but it sounds like the tractor is not running on all 4 cylinders. The oil puked out of the exhaust and all over the hood may have something to do with that. You need to pull all of your spark plugs and see which ones are dirty and assess why it is misfiring. Do this before you make any further carburetor adjustments or start messing with the governor.

yes I understand what you're saying but that is not oil all over the carburetor. My cousin bent the Damned exhaust pipe. LOL. For some reason when the pipe is bent like that it is heating up all of the creosote and other accumulations from years past. It's causing that stuff to melt and drip down on the carburetor. That is definitely not oil.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:28 am

Rick Spivey wrote:Definitely not firing n all 4 cylinders. Be sure the plug wires are in the right order, and/or check plugs to see which ones are black and fouled. That engine is not well at this point....

as far as I can tell the engine is still in full operation of shape. I think what the problem is is my gas line. As stupid as it sounds I have used a rubber gas line but it is not in the same configuration as the original metal gas line. I can sit there and let the engine run on high throttle or low idle for long periods of time without one single issue. when I start to put it under load and up a hill or even just up a hill by itself. That's when the problems arise. like I said as stupid as it sounds I think it might actually be the gas line which I'm going to have to invest in getting a new metal one with the little turn in it and everything else. If you watch the video my gas line is not in the same configuration as the metal line. I think that little twist in the middle line might be what's causing the issue.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:15 am

pokitisme wrote:
Rick Spivey wrote:Definitely not firing n all 4 cylinders. Be sure the plug wires are in the right order, and/or check plugs to see which ones are black and fouled. That engine is not well at this point....

as far as I can tell the engine is still in full operation of shape. I think what the problem is is my gas line. As stupid as it sounds I have used a rubber gas line but it is not in the same configuration as the original metal gas line. I can sit there and let the engine run on high throttle or low idle for long periods of time without one single issue. when I start to put it under load and up a hill or even just up a hill by itself. That's when the problems arise. like I said as stupid as it sounds I think it might actually be the gas line which I'm going to have to invest in getting a new metal one with the little turn in it and everything else. If you watch the video my gas line is not in the same configuration as the metal line. I think that little twist in the middle line might be what's causing the issue.

Okay, let us know what you find.
Jim

Circle of Safety