This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A new issue

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

A new issue

Postby pokitisme » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Well, my tractor back. Today I decided I was going to move some of the 3-point implements around. Well it kept dying when I tried to take off with them attached. Sorry figured I would put it in third gear. Well when I did that I developed a new problem. Where are the manifold next on the left side of the tractor. The manifold connects to the exhaust pipe at that point I am getting a whole bunch of oil leaking out. What on Earth could this issue be. My cousin thinks it is a result of too much oil in the system like an overfill. That is very possible. But I'm curious why oil would be leaking out of the top of the manifold between the exhaust pipe and the manifold
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A new issue

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Are you sure it’s oil and not soot/carbon dissolved in condensation?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Well it sure looked like oil to me. It was black and it was oily LOL... My cousin suggested that maybe it was oil overflow or overfill. The exhaust pipe did get bent recently and there has been lots of soot and stuff blowing out on occasion. But it's been blowing out the top of the exhaust pipe. This Orly issue is coming from the connection between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. My cousin also suggested that it could possibly be that somehow water got down the exhaust pipe and is somehow pushing some of the oil out of the way..I might also add I took this over to my cousin's place after I installed the new carburetor. after a little fiddling with the carburetor my cousin had it running pretty damn good also we found out it was a battery issue. But when I took it over to his house I ran into a tree and bent the exhaust pipe ever since then lots of sit has been coming out in large chunks. Today was the first day in a long time that I ran it for a good long time where the exhaust pipe actually got extremely heated. I do have a flapper on the top of the exhaust pipe so I do not believe water got into it but who knows...anyway that is a very good suggestion that maybe the exhaust pipe has gotten so hot it melted the loose foot and other exhaust particles into a oilly mass.. on a side note I tried to get the tractor and a brush hog attached to it up my driveway today and it kept dying on me. It's like it doesn't have the power that it should have.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Compression tests, dry then wet. Also check the condition of the spark plugs at this time.

When was the last time you did a complete engine tune up and lub/oil job?

My guess on oil being pumped out between the manifold and exhaust - - rings allowing oil to be pumped into the combustion chamber. This would foul the spark plugs, thus lack of power.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:35 pm

sounds like a pretty good theory...i did a compression test with my last post..ill do another one tomorrow

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 pm

pokitisme wrote:i did a compression test with my last post..ill do another one tomorrow
And the results were?
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Eugene wrote:
pokitisme wrote:i did a compression test with my last post..ill do another one tomorrow
And the results were?

Okay I did not get you a compression test today instead I started the tractor and tried backing it up a hill with the brush hog on it. As soon as I started putting pressure on it it would go a little bit and then die. okay the compression test results from my last test three of the Pistons were at about a hundred and ten and one of them was at 92 if I remember correctly. that has been the same compression test for the engine the entire time I have had it. And at one point it was running like a top. problem was I let it sit for about 6 months with no battery and I hand crank the fan blade to keep some circulation and to make sure the Pistons didn't lock up during winter time. I believe the black stuff coming out of the muffler and the exhaust manifold connection is probably melted set it happened again today but it didn't happen until after I had the tractor running for a bit and the muffler got hot

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Let's try one of my previous posts.
Eugene wrote:Compression tests, dry then wet. Also check the condition of the spark plugs at this time.

When was the last time you did a complete engine tune up and lub/oil job?

My guess on oil being pumped out between the manifold and exhaust - - rings allowing oil to be pumped into the combustion chamber. This would foul the spark plugs, thus lack of power.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"

Postby Mac AR » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am

My money is on fouled out plugs. Go buy a set and change them out, won't hurt a thing. I re-read your post on the starting issues and couldn't find where you'd replaced them. More than likely they fouled out when you were having your original issue, especially with the slobbering exhaust. I can usually tell when its time for my 300 to have new plugs, it starts slobbering a little. If by chance the plugs don't work, check the points for corrosion and wear. If they're not shiny, I'd suggest replacing them along with the condenser. HTH

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety