This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan belt removal

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Fan belt removal

Postby pokitisme » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:07 am

I have a formal h. Have watched every video I could on it. Have read every bit of information I have available. Here's what the problem is. My alternator belt broke it is a farmall 12 volts system. In order to replace the alternator belt I need to remove the main fan belt. My problem is I have removed the set screw but the threaded fan belt flange will not move no matter how much I bang on it. So I am looking for advice from people who have maybe had a stuck fan belt flange. They set screw is removed fully I have lubricated the hell out of it with cheap Walmart lubricant and PB blaster. I have attacked it with a tire iron and mallet and have also used a cheap air chisel to try to bang it loose. The only things I have not attempted to try is heating it hoping to break away possible corrosion.

I am attempting to turn the fan belt flange towards the oil filter side or if sitting on the tractor it would be the right side of the tractor
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fan belt removal

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:50 pm

It's a conventional thread. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Standing in front of the tractor looking toward the rear, the front flange will rotate counter-clockwise to loosen.

The flange is simply stuck from decades of not having been moved, probably sitting outside. Wire brush all the threads so the flange has a place to go. Might have to apply some gentle heat to the flange to get it moving.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Postby pokitisme » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:54 am

Yeah I have wire brushed the hell out of it. Tried some heat but it was like 10° outside so I don't think it worked lol. Was planning on trying to put more heat on it but was unsure if that would cause some kind of deformation or something like that I mean I'll give it a shot the other problem I'm having is keeping the fan blade from moving I don't know if there's a way to lock the shaft in place so that I can get a firm grip on it and get that thing twisted
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Tired_Iron
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 53147
Tractors Owned: 1937 Farmall F-12
1939 Farmall F-14
1944 Farmall M
1945 Farmall B
1947 Farmall H
1955 Farmall 400 /w 33A Loader
Grounds Crew
Simplicity 7112H
Simplicity Sunstar 18
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Tired_Iron » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:37 pm

Not really a way to lock the fan blade in place. Since you have been soaking it with penetrating oil, get a solid, long punch (I have one about a foot long, works great), a big hammer and have someone else hold the fan blade (or figure a way to securely hold it from moving) and give that flat on the flange a good couple of raps in either direction and it should start to move. If not, Matt is right, next would be some heat. A gas welding tip for a oxy-acetylene torch would work best as it is hotter and more localized. Don't need to get it blazing red hot. MAPP gas might work too. You can get it pretty hot, but if you are worried about it, you can always take it apart and go from there as well.

Water Pump.JPG
Dan K

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy."

Proud Member, IHCC, Wisconsin Chapter #4

BunkumBen
Zip Code: 47562

Postby BunkumBen » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:52 pm

I would try a little heat as others have suggested.