This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall C Brake Shaft Oil Seal Part # and Update.

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

Farmall C Brake Shaft Oil Seal Part # and Update.

Postby FarmallAddict » Sun May 23, 2021 4:41 pm

I got the new front tires mounted and had some cracks on the rims welded up. They had "GOODYEAR MADE IN USA" stamped on them which was neat to see.

While the tractor was blocked up I had locked the brakes for a few days to keep it from rolling off the blocks along with leaving it in gear. While they were locked gear oil leaked from the brake shaft that the brake pedals rotate on. I believe it's the shaft that goes through the transmission and has the clutch pedal on the other side. I unlocked the brakes now that the tires are back on so maybe it will stop. Either way it would be nice to have a spare oil seal on hand in case it needs replacing. The tractor didn't leak from there until I left the brakes locked for a couple days.

Could someone help me confirm the part number of that oil seal? If I'm looking at the right one, I think it's one of these for a regular C: 354514R91, 360076R92, 364471R91, 380959R91, 380960R91, 47169A, 555397R91, 581646R91. They must have used the same seal for many different machines.

The job to replace it doesn't appear too difficult since I think it's accessible from the outside of the transmission housing. Has anyone had experience replacing one before and could provide any insights? I'm gradually checking off the areas of this machine that need attention so all experience people can share is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Resized_20210523_142210.jpeg
Resized_20210523_142219.jpeg

EdHarbur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06877

Re: Farmall C Brake Shaft Oil Seal Part # and Update.

Postby EdHarbur » Mon May 24, 2021 9:27 am

I'm afraid that I don't have my parts book available, but if you just call the IH dealer and tell them what you're after you'll be fine.

It is a pretty easy job. Draining the oil is a mess, but you probably should do that anyway to get rid of the water that often seems to end up in the C transmission sumps. My shaft was scored, pitted and rusted, so I went ahead and replaced it. There were IH and aftermarket shafts available at the time, and I used the aftermarket one at half the price of the IH piece - about $50 as I recall. It measured out identically, and works just fine. Remember to order a new key(s?) since the old one may be tough to get out. Just in case you didn't know (I didn't) you can buy a 5 gallon bucket of the correct oil for FAR less money that buying 20 quarts.

Ed

Eric85
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03753

Re: Farmall C Brake Shaft Oil Seal Part # and Update.

Postby Eric85 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:35 pm

I went through this same thing on my super c. I used a National seal # 472179 that I got at the auto parts store.
I can't remember but I seem to recall needing two of them that I stacked on top of each other. A trick one of my farmall buddies told me about.
Hasn't leaked sense.

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”