This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super C generator not charging

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super C generator not charging

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 07, 2023 8:06 pm

When the engine is not running, the voltage regulator points will be closed. The cut-out points will be open. Confirm we are really looking at the voltage regulator points. When the engine is started and is run up to enough speed to charge the battery, the cut-out points will close. The voltage regulator points should remain closed until one or the other of these two things happen:
1) The current produced by the generator exceeds the limit.
2) The voltage produced by the generator exceeds the limit.
In the normal recharging of a moderately discharged battery, neither of these will happen and the generator will be producing (maybe) 15 amps and a voltage somewhat above whatever the battery was producing. As the battery charges, voltage from the generator will gradually increase until the battery is fully charged and event #2 happens.

When either of the two events happens, the coil under the voltage regulator points should produce enough pull on the points for them to open. When they open, the field circuit is open and the generator stops producing electricity. When that happens, the voltage and current from the generator goes away allowing the points to close. Then the generator starts charging again and the cycle repeats. This cycle should happen so rapidly that you don't see the cycling on the ammeter. The problem in your case seems to be that the cycling is so slow that you can easily see it. This suggests the voltage regulator coil/points assembly isn't sensitive enough to respond rapidly. Maybe the large gap you observed is part of the problem. If you could measure the voltage required to open the points, you may have a clue to the problem. It may be opening at too low a voltage, causing the cycling with a partially charged battery.

Note: I said points open cause the generator to stop. In practice, the regulator probably has a resistor in parallel with the points so the generator doesn't stop charging, but cuts back to a low charge rate.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:01 pm

Success! I finally bought an American made Regulator from The Brillman Company and it works perfectly right from the get-go. Now with a new radiator, starter points filed, and a new voltage regulator and battery, I thought I was ready to mow some grass. But, the tractor has been sitting awhile and the steering is real stiff. I greased the upper and lower steering rod bearings, but the universal joints don't have grease fittings on them. But, when cleaning out all the crud from the front end when changing out the radiator I may have done something to the front steering gear. So now I guess I need to again remove the radiator cover from the front end and see if I can drain and refill the steering gear housing? Anybody have any recommendations on doing this?
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

hodge
Zip Code: 55810

Postby hodge » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:27 pm

tst wrote:here are 2 flow charts, one for a regulator system, the other for a cut out type

Thank you, we are also having generator problems and this will help us narrow it down.
Hodge

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:42 am

Over the years I have purchased two of these regulators from foreign sources (one from Orscheln and one from NAPA) and neither of them worked properly and probably needed to be adjusted from the start. And I wanted a regulator adjusted to factory specs from the factory like they should have been. And the American made one I purchased from Brillman appears to be built and adjusted properly and works well. Another thing, before mounting or dismounting the regulator I always disconnect the power wire leading to the charging/light system off of the terminal on the starter, as that was the easiest way to disconnect the battery from the generator/regulator system. And testing to see if the generator is at fault you can just ground the F or field terminal with a wire with clips on the ends from the F terminal on the generator to the ground wire from the battery, wherever you have it grounded to the frame. And this should peg the amp gauge on the charging side if the generator is good. After putting in a new regulator, I always polarize the generator by clipping a wire on the starter terminal and touching the A terminal on the generator to avoid messing with any of the close spaced terminals on the new regulator and avoiding shorting them.
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”