This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Super A governor adjustment

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JLindquist
Zip Code: 01568

Super A governor adjustment

Postby JLindquist » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:38 pm

So I had some help from a previous post regarding the timing gear. After I got past that with the help of this forum I was able to move forward and replace the springs in my governor. There is still some slop so without a complete rebuild it’s not gonna be quite right. I had a surging issue so I carefully adjusted the bottom screw and as soon as the surging stopped I stopped. Problem I’m having is I just don’t seem to have the get up needed to complete any work. Lots of stalling. I’ve done a basic tune up, adjusted the timing, etc. when I disconnect the carb from the governor and give it throttle or take it away it runs nicely. What am I missing? When I had the governor off I noticed that the top screw on the governor does not seem to make contact with the little cam inside. Should I adjust this so it atleast makes contact? Perhaps this will minimize the slop. Ive adjusted the linkage from the governor to the carb as described on this site. Still No get up. So little by little I’ve been adjust the linkage to the carb making it a little longer which seems to be eating up the slop a little and giving me a little more top end but in doing so I seem to loose low end. Does anyone have any thoughts????

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Super A governor adjustment

Postby inairam » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:55 am

There is a procedure in the manual on adjusting the governor to carb linkage. I would find that and adjust it to those instructions.

I have not worked on an A but from working on Cub when I worked on my 140's governor I found it much looser than the Cub's.

With the cub 100% of the adjustment is between the gov and carb. They have a fixed-length solid rod between the lever and the governor. The 130 and 140 ( I assume the A) have adjustments between the throttle lever and the governor. You may need to look at that for the low-end adjustment as well as on the carb.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:25 am

one more thing - keep track of the number of full or half turns you are doing as you do the adjustments and do not do a lot at once.

It will help you to adjust faster and get back to a given position if you go the wrong way.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

JLindquist

Postby JLindquist » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:13 am

Hey thanks and sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been pretty busy. So I did follow these instructions and it gave me (if memory serves me no low end). I gave it a little more idle and no throttle response. I did make the shaft from the carb longer and this seemed to push me in the write direction. I was have to lower idle. Now I have a different problem. I can plow or harrow a flat field but when I come to the end and turn to go up a small incline it searches and eventually stalls. This tractor two years ago would plow a field up hill with ease. I believe my carb is adjusted well. I don’t seem to have a lot of high end but I’m ok with that as when I hit a rock with a plow it digs in and keeps working. I ran the front end up a little hill on purpose she stalled and would not start. Backed it off and she fired right up. So I’m thinking fuel. I’m going to open the carb and clean the bowl and take a look at the float. (Disclosure I had rebuilt the old carb so many times I opted for a Chinese knock off, if was affordable to me at the time and disposable). I thinking I may raise the float.

However and here is my question; if it’s not this I did read somewhere about the engine pulling a vacuum not allowing the governor to open up the carb. Because I’ve messed with the governor so much I’m wondering if anyone can elaborate more on this and possible solutions to it as I have a feeling I’m not gonna find a problem in the carb???

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:32 am

Check your fuel tank for debris blocking the fuel outlet. Flashlight through the fuel cap opening.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:45 am

I agree with Don, it sounds like a fuel delivery issue.

JLindquist

Postby JLindquist » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:05 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks again, so I opened up the fuel separator and carb, cleaned and verified fuel was getting through and it appears so. I had never messed with the linkage from the throttle to the governor. It did seem sloppy. So today I decided to take a look at it. In doing so I decided to completely disconnect the throttle from the governor and drive it around. So it’s basically at no or low throttle and it took all the slight inclines fine. Didn’t rev up or down just went about fairly steady. I did seem to gain a little more high end by cleaning up the slop in the linkage when I reassembled it. This may have slightly improved the surging, stalling on the inclines but did not eliminate it. However I feel I’m onto something but after driving it around with no throttle hooked up I feel like I’m back to the governor. In my mind if I’m running at no throttle up hill my thought is that it’s not fuel delivery. Does this sound right? I’m afraid to start messing with the governor again because atleast it is usable even if not convenient but I think I need to look at the bottom spring again.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:36 pm

I haven't reread the entire thread, so my apologies if this was asked earlier.

Have you made sure the entire linkage from throttle quadrant to carb is free with NO binding or catches? Rust, dirt, obstructions (like cotter pins), any restrictions, like rubbing against the engine block or binding in the rod support clip on the right rear corner of the head, can cause poor response from the governor.

Have you checked for "slop" such as where the governor rockshaft enters the governor? There is a tiny woodruff key there that can either be worn, or the slot where it fits can be. This will also cause poor governor response.

Finally, have you redone the gov/carb linkage adjustment? This can be a bit of trial & error, but needs to be done.

Good luck, and try to be patient!! We've all been there! :wink:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”