This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Waking up the ol' Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Waking up the ol' Cub

Postby Waif » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Willy wrote:Thanks, but we apparently had an operator error this afternoon when I flooded the engine. Never did get it to start back up. I seem to remember last time it was running, it had a bit of a "combination" to starting. If the combination wasn't right, it wouldn't start. Once started though, it runs good.

They can be like that.
Had mine to where it would run first half turn by hand in summer.
Now in the cold .....still figuring it out. (Hydraulic leak was fixed and oil changed but not a lot of run time after to feel if fluid was not burning well in cylinders...).
Subtle signs of ready to run ....and a gentle start vs. roaring to life with mine after stalling it out / flooding it.

Brake. Neutral. Kill switch off. Throttle lever about straight up and down on my tired range or else about a third range on a healthy one. Fuel on. Choke per engine and air temp. About a quarter closed with warm air temps and " cold" engine. Open if warm.
Pull starter or crank. Get choke off when it runs. Feather it off if cold out , but open it a little right away.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 am

I'm pretty sure I forgot to open the throttle this afternoon.

But while I was waiting around on it to "air out", I got the rest of the bits back on it (air cleaner, muffler, dog legs and grill) and now have a touch control adjustable floating drawbar with a 2" box hitch. And a good start on a bolt on step for getting up on the platform. My ol' short legs just barely get me up on it.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Sounds good!
I debate about a step....Or a low- boy. :lol:
Having only one leg ,I use the rear tire and steering shaft( gently) to hop up with.
Stock configuration of the clutch on the operators right sure works for me.
Modified a left side clutch on another tractor with a hand lever. It got interesting when the lever came loose....twice.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:33 pm

The small produce farm I was raised on down in SW Arkansas, we had a Super C and a two cylinder JD 620 with the hand clutch. I mostly used the Farmall and rarely the "Poppin John". Especially after when discing with it behind the house in some deep sand, I caught the septic tank with disc and it started digging itself down with the rear wheels in the sand. Being used to the Farmall, I kept trying to hit the clutch with my foot, clean forgetting it had a hand clutch. My Grandpa made me get it unstuck by myself.

I've been stepping up on a tire lug while pulling up on the steering wheel. Not supposed to but that's why I'm building a step. Not that I got the drawbar where it can be raised, maybe I can go over the back. As kid with the Super C, I'd climb up the back of it on a rear cultivator arm and squeeze between the fender and the seat. I was kind of skinny and puny as a kid, but I'm kind of old and fat for that stuff now. My step is being made from the bracket for the hand control for a 189 plow to bolt it to the right final drive, some C-channel bolted to that and a foot rest off of an old electric wheelchair.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Interesting build on the step. Will be helpful.

Clutch ,clutch ,where' s the dang clutch! I should not laugh. For safety reasons ,but.....

Throttle cable froze on the Heald tryke zoomin down the private road.
I dragged a rear wheel in one snow bank but did not slow much.
Picked out a snowpile without stumps or rocks and stalled her out when I hit it.
Freed the throttle cable and took another run.
Stuck again near top of throttle range ,but then I had the presence of mind to hit the kill switch.....

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi,
Glad you got the Cub to run. :)

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Well, it ran once. Tried to start it up again today and the starter was spinning the the engine just fine, but nothing else was happening. So, I checked for power at the coil, nope. And none to the fuse either. So, I'm thinking the old ignition switch. I pulled the dash panel and found a two piece ignition switch. The part with the pull knob and main body were attached to the panel. The plastic part with the wire connections were floating around loose back there. Made a quick trip to NAPA to get a heavy duty push-pull switch with two wire connections and after I install it in the morning, I should be back in business.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Got the new switch in and it starts and runs like it should. It was wet and rainy so I didn't drive it around much, just a quick lap around the house.

I got a good start on my step for getting on and off of it. Enough to see that I'm going to have to brace the C channel a bit.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Willy wrote:
I got a good start on my step for getting on and off of it. Enough to see that I'm going to have to brace the C channel a bit.

i am still getting on the thing in many different ways, sometimes from the front, sometimes the drawbar then on top of the bull gear housing. I have this fear of bumping it into gear if it running or out and rolling away with it if its not :P

I have this lil red wire with a clamp on the ends, it has jumped from the bat to the coil on many a different engine to tell me if it will run and let me know more where the problems lie. I can clip it anywhere, then I know whats making the trip through what wire. If it runs then I can stop worrying about points, plugs, distributor, etc.
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:05 am

Most of my old tools disappeared when my ex and I broke up. I had several of those jumper wires back then. Before computers and such, a "hot wire" like that and a screwdriver could get you going down the road pretty easily if nothing else was working.

I'm starting to think I've forgot more about old school wrench turning that I thought I did.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 am

poor boys learn to do things any way they can. like 2 switches to replace an ignition switch, one for hot n one for the starter. Or how about tearing apart an old three on the tree shifter thats gone bad. one truck had an up/down rod in the floor for 1st n reverse and 2nd n 3rd where still on the column. A buddys van was turned into a floor shift with the original shift rods being cut and placed through a hole on the floor, we used a wood block fastened to the floor to stabilize them, one was 1st n reverse , the other was 2nd n 3rd, had to place one in neutral before shifting the other. we even tacked on vinyl to the block n made handles wrapped in the same stuff. once you got used to it you could shift it very smoothly
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:23 am

I had an old Chevy C-10 pickup with a toggle switch under the dash on one side for the ignition and a push button switch on the other for the starter. That old truck stayed in the family and as far as I know is still that way.

When I go to a car show these days, I go straight to the rat rods. Now, those guys get creative and do some very interesting "engineering". The Cub, I'm not going to do anything to that can't be put back to stock.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Put the Lil Red Mule to work this afternoon. Mrs Willy had a bunch of Christmas presents she needed taken out of the basement so she could wrap them and I had a bunch of stuff to haul off to the barn, so I started up the Cub and put the "mule pack" on it. We were rearended back in the summer and Mrs Willy's wheelchair rack and wheelchair were wiped out (along with the rear hatch on the van). No one seemed to want what was left of the ol' rack, so I put what was left in the barn. While I was working on getting the Cub running, I had the idea to use that old rack to haul stuff around the place.

Getting ready to go to work:

All loaded up:

And the easy one pin hook up I'm sorting out. Works pretty good with the "mule pack" and is height adjustable with the rear lift.

Trailer hitch fits up nice too although I've yet to actually hook up the trailer to it. But I got in almost 4 hours run time with the Cub this afternoon. The clutch isn't as "jittery" as it was and everything seems to be working fine. We're supposed to be getting a lot of rain for the next two days starting tomorrow, so I'm going to go change the oil again and recheck all the fluids. Maybe get started on the ATV blade that will also fit into that hitch as well.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 International loboy
50s Allis Chalmers B
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Looks Great! handy thing to have.
Circle of Safety

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Willy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:11 pm

My original idea was to haul tools and stuff around the place when I'm out working around the place.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”