This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What to do with a Cub you just brought home

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:38 pm

If you really want to clean a gas tank, use some chain inside with a solution of muratic acid and water. shake it well off and on for about an hour. Rinse and Repeat. Rinse a final time and neutralize acid with baking soda. Rinse one more time and it should be good to go. Much easier if you can find something to strap the tank to, to shake or tumble it around with the chain in there. Don't forget to remove the chain!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:07 pm

You can drive around with the tank in the back of a truck
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

chickadeefarmsnc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27520

Postby chickadeefarmsnc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Thank you for this thread! I'm in the midst of going through my Cub's maintenance manual (Bought and figured out how to use a grease gun today woohoo!)
I find the manual to be really easy to follow with clear straight forward steps. I bought my Cub last summer with no idea of how and if it had been maintained so it's a great learning experience for me and for anyone who feels like they don't know how to do these things, just go through the manual step by step! *Disclaimer, I may be posting questions about this later as I get deep into maintenance. Thanks again for all of your collective knowledge

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Postby bofahs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:52 pm

All great ideas, but especially the cooling system.
Doing a refresh on the '65 Lo-Boy - just pulled the radiator prior to paint - my goodness, the MUD!
Conservative guess is that 40% of the lower radiator housing was just thick gunk.
Yeah, it's probably mostly iron oxide, so, at least the little bugger won't weigh as much!
And yes, anti-freeze with preservative will go back in.

Tarmacvic
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27537

Postby Tarmacvic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks for posting this thread. I would have introduced myself as " Hello my name is Tarmacvic and I am a Farmallaholic" if there was a welcome introduce yourself page, (it may be but I did not see it.) I joined five years ago after purchasing my first Cub (1955) with mower and just purchased my second Farmall Cub (1950) with attachments. Part of the reason that I am posting it so gain access to the documentation before I post a silly question like: I have all of these attachments now, how do I put them on my tractor? or What is this one used for? I suppose this should count as my first of two postings. Second posting will be about the time that I discovered the Farmall museum videos.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Welcome back to the Forum. It looks like you made a post in 2012, so you have two now. That gives you access to the implement manuals on the Forum. Click on "quick links" top left of the page, then on "PDF manuals", then on "Farmall Cub". You can then look for the implements you need info on. Let us know if we can be of any help.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Postby JGtools » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:11 pm

All good advice. Thanks for sharing.

Hemidad
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32141

Postby Hemidad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks for these lists, a good place to start. Just brought home a 54. I did hear it run with some hot wiring. Needs both rear tires, maybe wheels.
So I'm going to start with essential fluids, electrical, wheels/tires. I will be getting to know your site very well I'm sure. Thanks!

Ohiowoodchuck
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Ohiowoodchuck » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I know what I would like to do with mine. Roll it over a hill while it is on fire.

Jamesk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38730
Tractors Owned: 1963 John Deere 4010
1958 Ford 851
1975 International Cub

Postby Jamesk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 pm

I found a 1968 international cub a couple weeks ago. Supposedly has not run in 15 or so years. Put mistry oil in cylinders. Found three broke wires bad key switch. Wiring is good now. Cleaned up points, good fire. Noticed the carburetor is warped. Also noticed the discharge nozzle is missing in the carburetor. Would like advice on where to purchase a carburetor. Prices from $135 to $400. Compression seems to be okay and it will crank on starter fluid. Thanks for your advice.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm

There are several posts in the "how to" forum that show how to make a jig to flatten the carb top. McDonald Carbs sells individual parts (as does TM Tractor, but they don't show a discharge tube). If you don't want to flatten it yourself, you could send it to one of us that has a flattening jig and get it done that way. There may be someone close to you that has a jig too. I've just seen this new Chinese carb on eBay, but don't know anything about it. And welcome to the Forum.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:15 pm

I brought home my second cub today.... Its a '53. One year older than my dad who helped me pick it up. I am pretty sure it was the best condition cub for sale in Oregon I could find- starts up real nice, clutch and transmission feels and sounds good. Supposedly, the guy who had it before the guy I bought it from had his own auto-machine shop and really took care of it. I will see....as I open up the steering wheel oil or the hub caps they will tell some truth. I think I got lucky though and will only need to replace the oil pan gasket for now, my first cub I am still chasing leaks and annoying drips from bad gaskets.

Now time to go through the checklist.... :tractor: :{_}: :tractor: :)

One question I have for folks is: what do you do with your flushed fluids? Curious as I'd like some uses for them or ideas on how to properly dispose of them. The oils are easy-I can drop used oil off at multiple places around town, but kerosene or 50/50? I've been thinking of making a strainer set up which I could use to clean my coolant fluid to recycle it after using a magnet to pull out metal and straining to clean larger debris, but this seems rather silly. Maybe use the kerosene for starting serious bond fires, but the 50/50?
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Trying to recycle antifreeze is not practical, as the corrosion inhibitors are likely depleted. Perhaps a local auto repair shop will take it for a fee. Kerosene, strain it and use for cleaning solvent.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:36 am

Hi,
Here is some info for Cub owners.

Below is the 1950 Cub owner's manual, The experts on here recommend that people read it, it has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. The lubrication section is on pages 14 - 21. The lubrication guide picture is on page 18. This is what IH said to do to service each Cub.
There is also much maintenance info shown in the maintenance section.
There is a table of contents on page 1.

They have other years of owner's manuals on here, if your Cub is older or newer. They are at Quick links at the top left of the page. Then go to PDF manuals. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Last edited by Glen on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Eugene wrote:10) Lubricate mechanical advance pivot.

Eugene

Can you indicate where this is? I am not familiar with this exactly.
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project