This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer hitch for a drawbar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:56 pm

Well, see now.

That is the difference between a do-it-yourselfer and I gonna orderit person...

Many times the item we want is probably available at a store somewhere, but shopping for it sometimes isn't exactly worth the trouble. Me, I get the enjoyment from fabricating something myself. It usually is better than anything I can buy, unless it has been fabricated by a guy like me -- yeah, Rick, Bill, George and you other gotta-fab-it-myself guys... I is chatting about you!!

I think it is just the sheer enjoyment we get from doing it ourselves that makes it worthwhile. Sometimes, heck no, probably most of the time, it probably costs us more to make it ourselves, but that is the prize involved. Satisfaction, pride, fulfillment..

You can't buy that from Wally World, or even Tom at TM Tractor....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 am

I agree Rudi.... but!

All I really wanted was the ability to occasionally (possibly NEVER) tow/move a trailer. The idea was to do that as 'cheaply' (I mean frugal) as possible. I was thinking it would be cool to take the metal boat the 1/2 mile to the boat launch (still hasn't been in the water this summer) if I had the car that dosen't have a hitch.

I could drill it out, but it is FORGED steel and when I installed the 10,000# hitch on the truck I had to drill 6 5/8" holes in the tempered frame. Not one of my favorite projects (wear goggles, not just safety glasses and just in case have a magnet handy). The drill bit cost $15!! I don't have a 3/4" bit. The reason I replaced the reciever was that the 'stinger' was "welded" in place and kept hitting it with my shin on it. Of course only 2 of the holes from the old one lined up.

I could drill out one of the HappiJac plates, it is 1/4" and has almost a 3/4" hole. If I drill out both of them I could sell the other one on EBay!

The plate on the truck is a bit thinner, but essentially it is the front anchor for a truck camper mount. If you look closely you can see it between the cab and the bed. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... cad87d.jpg

But, if I did that I bet I get a bruised shin!

Did visit the junkyard and only found one in the whole place.... that one was uglier than the broken one and although I had a good sized pipe wrench with me, it was stuck fast againt the rear hatch of a Caravan.

So... I think I will try JB Weld on the old one for now. Hopefully I will get the chance to go fishing in the metal boat this long weekend, but I will have the truck. I just figured it would be easier to explain the lack of lights on the trailer by the SMV sign duck taped to the back of the boat and the Cub as the tow vehicle!

Sometimes the best solution is to make do with what you have. (I would not be against drilling a hole in the coupler on the trailer and using a bolt and a couple of washers to the drawbar!)

Thanks for all the good input!

Film at 11!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

dyt4000
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dyt4000 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:31 pm

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Rudi wrote:I think it is just the sheer enjoyment we get from doing it ourselves that makes it worthwhile. Sometimes, heck no, probably most of the time, it probably costs us more to make it ourselves, but that is the prize involved. Satisfaction, pride, fulfillment..

You can't buy that from Wally World, or even Tom at TM Tractor....

Rudi,

The orderit guys have their place, and it's a reasonable approach... especially if someone else is paying for their time. But... the satisfaction factor is and should be the sense of pride we get from adding new skills to our bag of tricks.

I haven't played golf for many years and never very well. I've pondered how much my game would be improved if I simply hired someone like Arnold Palmer to take my shots for me??? The result would be better, but where's the satisfaction?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:18 pm

George:

Been missing your wisdom and witty posts....

You haven't posted in a bit, and I was getting a little worried... hope all has been well.

As usual you make a lot of sense...

I got a couple of buddies that could help me with my latest honey do project -- insulate the living room floor/wood room ceiling and vapour barrier it, but --

1. My girls are helping me do it, and we are getting to share quality time.
2. My girls are helping me do it, and we are all learning somethings... different things, but learning just the same.
3. My girls are helping me do it, and I am having a blast :!:

I get the same kind of feelings whenever I make something or even fix something in the house lately.

I sure wish there was someway to impart that feeling to others....

Larry:

Yup buddy, I understand, and sometimes it is easier... I take that route on occassion as you well know... although dyt4000 posted a real neat unit. But instead of wanting to go buy it, I am trying to figure out how I can make it with my still limited welding skills.... :roll: :wink: :lol:

I am sure though that I saw one of those hitches with the carriage bolt at Princess or Canada Trash... will look again tomorrow...

and as for trying to drill out the drawbar -- well, been there, done that, ain't ever doin that agin....

I used Dad's big ole 1/2" Skill drill -- made around 1960 or something... heavy, strong, and really durable. Wore out a couple bits before I got done... Drilled it out cause it was a butchered drawbar and I was trying to fix up the holes.... I give up on this one.. will use it as a working drawbar only... it will probably never see a coat of paint.... MAN was that tough...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:44 pm

Then there's the lucky guy (me) who just happens to have one of those receivers laying in my tool crib. Just need to bolt it onto the drawbar. :D :D :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:19 pm

BD, I think you will need to redrill the holes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:21 pm

Bigdog wrote:Then there's the lucky guy (me) who just happens to have one of those receivers laying in my tool crib. Just need to bolt it onto the drawbar. :D :D :D

....or the luckier guy like me that has a hitch that attaches under the fast hitch. Very handy for moving anything, as you use the hydraulics to get under the hitch, then raise , and off ya go! :lol:

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:36 pm

I like having the hitch on the 3 point on the 444. Just put the trailer on the ball lift then pull up the stand and then drive off
Image On To Bigger Things

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:36 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:BD, I think you will need to redrill the holes.

Nope! Already checked!
Bigdog

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:37 pm

sviennadan wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Then there's the lucky guy (me) who just happens to have one of those receivers laying in my tool crib. Just need to bolt it onto the drawbar. :D :D :D

....or the luckier guy like me that has a hitch that attaches under the fast hitch. Very handy for moving anything, as you use the hydraulics to get under the hitch, then raise , and off ya go! :lol:

Yeah, rub it in! :wink: :wink:
Bigdog

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:11 pm

I like what dty4000 posted!!. That step bumper receiver looks just purty for the job. I wondered how close those holes would be to the draw bar. And of course I'm partial to the idea of a receiver vs just a hole. Gives you many more options down the road. Thanks dty4000.

Thats what this forum is all about, sharing ideas.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:41 pm

Found some peices of "junk" on a peice of two inch tubing. made this

Image On To Bigger Things

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:22 pm

Scotty:

Very interesting solution. Almost elegant :lol: I like it :!: :D