This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer hitch for a drawbar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:11 am

Wk, I prefer the extended tongue for the ball such as I made or TM tractor sells because it makes hitching to non stand type units easier. Since I pull a small trailer without a stand, and also occasionally move my big trailer with it, I also put a couper on my disk so there is no need to remove the ball. On such items as the disk and small trailer there is no stand, so I can back up with the ball even with the hitch and just have to push the tongue sideways to hitch, not also forward, which is dificult with a disk.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:03 pm

I realize these pics are of the wrong tractor but the rear hitch I use on the Cub also and (If I ever get it togeher) the Cub snow plow has 2" receiver behind the blade so in the summer months I will use it for wagon and trailer moving with the blade off. The front hitch is by far the most handy. You could thread a needle with a hay wagon on the front. On the rear- give it up. :D

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:31 pm

If you will click the link http://www.acmehitch.com/trailerballs.htm you will find that Acme hitch is making available the 1 7/8" ball with a 5/8" bolt. :shock: I thought they were no longer available also until I run across and bought one earlier this month at the local "Rural King farm store". :D Price was $7.99. I think the ATV, motorcycle, and lawn tractor market has probably justified these being put back on the market again. They have a 1,000lb. rating.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:35 pm

TSC has small diamater balls for 4 wheelers. I hate those 4 wheelers but the small diamater mounting bolt is great. Hate to drill a draw bar. I made the mounting out of an I beam before I saw the one at TSC.
I use the mounting for my Swisher tag along mower. It lets me make tighter turns with out binding.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:02 pm

WKPoor wrote:I know this is silly, but the easiest solution is to just up drill the drawbar to 3/4 and be done with it. Saves on all the rigamaroe.

Now if you got a bolt something on the bar I would opt for a 2" receiver. That gives you much more options and flexability. I have a receiver on the front and back of the H. That covers me for wagons, trailers, and various rigs for pulling things. And, you can quick change everything in a second without tools.

Bill Now I'm going to ask the question of the month, What's a "Receiver" I seem to remember that TVs were calles Televison Receivers in their infancy, but I am sure it's not that,
Best Wishes,
Pat

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:21 pm

Pat:

If you go back up to WKPoor's photos, the top photo at the very rear of the 3-point hitch is a receiver. It's the square tubing (socket) with a 5/8 inch hole towards the rear.

Another square chunk of steel fits into this square socket. Attached to this square chunk of steel is up to 4 different size balls. To change to the required size of ball you simply remove a pin from the 5/8" hole, pull out the piece with the balls, turn the desired ball up and reinstall.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:24 pm

We used to have a plate like the one TM sells for cub drawbars bolted to the steering bolster of our H, really made backing haywagons easy.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:19 pm

John, after reading your last post I'm laughing so hard I can't contain myself. The reason I have the rig on the front you see is because I found out last winter just how fragile that lower bolster casting is. I too had a plate on the front until one fateful day. We rapped a rope around the ball on the plate and I peceeded to back up. I snapped that bolster ear so easily the tractor couldn't even feel it come loose. And it was a dead straight pull. It wasn't all that handy anyway as it was to high to use for trailers. So back to the drawing board. This time I've got a frame bolted to the upper bolster with 4ea. 3/4" bolts. Now I'm not afraid of large amounts of tonge weight. If anything happens now it will be the whole front of the tractor that will have to come loose. Actually if you look close there is a receiver there to, that was the same one that was bolted to the ears. I reused it on the new plate.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:52 pm

The broken shaft makes a good anvil for cracking walnuts. Wanna know why we had one? Early model Hs had a probblem with the front shaft breaking. Later ones had a larger shaft, but to chnage to the larger shaft you also had to change the bolster.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:11 am

Thanks, now I know, and what a good idea, especially of there are different ball sizes to chose from, also one doesn"t need a ball attached all the time,
Pat

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:21 am

One more place to find 1 7/8" balls with 5/8" shanks are old junk yards
The ones you see with cars & trucks from back in the 60s & 70s.
I have even found 2" balls with 5/8" shanks.
Some were carriage bolts most were not.
Paid 2.00 for the last 2" with 5/8" & they took it off a 1960 ford pick up
or what was left of it.

Just another idea were to find things.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:06 pm

Geeze Dale, why didn't I think of that! I gotta go to the local junk yard anyway and see if he will take my 1970's model El Dorado truck camper. I do need to look at the water tank first.... could be a perfect electrolisys tank.

Anybody need an LP heater or 3 burner range??

And Pat, the other nice thing about a receiver is that all you need is the pin and you have an easy way to attach a strap or a line with an eye for towing etc. The reciever on my truck had the ball mount so stuck that I was pulling stumps with the pin out. I have a nice chain track on the the tailgate to prove that old rust is stronger than new 'tree saver' sling. Or is the the stump that was stonger than all of them??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:20 am

The problem with drillin' out the Cub draw bar hole is simply that the dern things are made so strong...you'll probably burn out your drill before ya git the hole size increased! :wink: (that is unless you got a drill that's about the size of a JACK HAMMER!!!! :lol: )
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Mac McVey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17374
eBay ID: YEVCM

Postby Mac McVey » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:40 pm

Due to the lack of the proper drill bit, I enlarged mine with a file. Thought I'd never get finished.
'50 Super A, '58 Cub, 1 Original Cub Cadet, 1 Model 70 Cub Cadet, 2 Model 100 Cub Cadets, 1 Model 105 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 2185 Cub Cadet, 1 Model 1864, and 2 small green ones.

THOM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby THOM » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:58 pm

This all seams complicated and like alot of work, Iagree with Mr. Becker, I would spend the couple bucks for a bracket from TM