This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

introduction of alton001

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: introduction of alton001

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:46 am

You should feed the ignition switch from the OTHER lug on the ammeter. If you connect as you are considering or as Al put it in his mod to the diagram, ignition current will not be measured by the ammeter. (Turning on the switch will not move the ammeter needle.) I wouldn't bother with a fuse, nobody else does.

Both these points address potential confusion at a later date when you or someone else is working on a starting problem.

alton001
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30619

Postby alton001 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:My guess is about like a lawn mower starter circuit, about 15 to 20 amps. All you are trying to protect is the circuit feeding the coil, everything else is protected by the original wiring layout. Stan

Thanks for yours' and everyone help. Looks like I keep running into new situations (for me) as I go along.

It took a bit for me to satisfy myself that I had the right switch to use with the external coil I am using to replace the Mag. Points and plug gaps are correct and I thought that I had the timing correct, but obviously I do not. Since I am mostly doing this with out physical help it is hard for me to determine TDC, but I found a technique in another thread suggesting attaching a balloon to nibble screwed into the number 1 spark plug hole and cranking the engine over until the balloon starts to fill with air on the compression stroke. This worked and I only had a small distance to move the crank shaft to line the mark and pointer. So, the mark on the points and pinion gear should have been lined up and pointing to the number one plug wire. Well they were lined up and pointing at 6 o'clock. which indicates that I am 180 degrees off of TDC. Does this indicate that the exhaust valve is stuck? I have resisted pulling the valve cover and still would rather not if I do not have to, so any comments or suggestions.

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi! I'm pretty new here myself. I also have a 49 that was my wife's grandpa's. I have the original owners manual. It's a little rough but could copy it if need be. Get yourself a shop manual.

The places the other guys listed are all great places to get parts. Keep NAPA in mind though for points, condenser and cap. My store had those in stock.

I'm not expert, only my second cub. Your in good hands with this group.
WV Mike

alton001
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby alton001 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm

o.k. guys (Stan, Glen, Jim and all the others that have been so generous with their time helping me to this point. Now I am really stumped. I have done everything that has been suggested in this thread, I mean everything and then in the post "How To Time A Magneto - An Alternate Method> that "inairam" posted to a tee. I installed an external 6 volt coil and replaced the kill switch with a 20 amp on/off switch. I have fire to the plugs, gas to the carb. the timing is correct, BUT I CANNOT GET MY CUB TO FIRE OFF. Where and what have I done wrong and where do I need to go next.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Without going back through your posts, I seem to remember that you rebuilt the engine. If the spark is at the plugs at the right time and you have fuel through the carb, I would try pull starting it the first time. Don't hook to the front axle, use a connection point somewhere at the rear of the tractor.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

alton001
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby alton001 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks Stan, but I did not rebuild the engine, it had been sitting about 30 years and I am trying to get it up and running. It is going to be somewhat difficult to pill the Cub out from under a deck and up a moderately steep incline to where I can pull start it. In the mean time here is the situation that has me stumped.

1) I do not have any stuck valves and compression is good
2) I have fire to all the plugs
3) My timing is set correctly (used the altrnative method I think you referenced in another thread)
4) I have fuel carb. but there is none on the plugs

Needless to say I cannot get the Cub to start

Why do I not have fuel at the plugs?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Sitting 30 years? Sounds like one I have that had been sitting for about the same length of time. (Before and after pictures on page 1 of this post.) In the beginning I was never able to start it with the starter, had to resort to pull starting the first time. It did not want to start and ran really rough until the valves got loosened up and everything lubricated. Starts OK now. How about compression? Long time sitting, might have stuck rings = low compression. Have you tried any starting fluid? Will it run any at all?
Last edited by staninlowerAL on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Apologies if you already did , but be sure the oil pump is primed.
Gas ,if not leaving carb ,needs gravity or vacuum to feed and some draw through open passage(s) to reach plugs.
When cranked ,is mild pressure coming out the exhaust?
Throttle and choke plate positions affect draw too. with governor affecting throttle.
Mud daubers have colonised one area...be sure they , or other critters are not causing restriction of air /fuel flow beyond carb.?

Return to “Farmall Cub”