This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

time to get ready

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

time to get ready

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:36 am

I have ad the blade and chains on the cub for a couple months, but by the weather forecast, maybe I need to go a little further. We are a ways inside the predicted 6-11 inch band. If we get that it will be the biggest snow we have had in quite a while. I am thinking about digging out my old carousel to put on also.

Of course with my wife and I both being retired and having two 4wd rigs, I may just leave it for spring. :P
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: time to get ready

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:04 am

Forecasting around 8 inches of snow today and tonight. Only a bit over 2 inches of snow so far this season.

Moved the vehicles off the street to the parking behind the house. That way I can dig out wife's all wheel drive vehicle in a couple of minutes and be ready to go. If I leave a vehicle on the parking in front of the house the snow plow comes by and piles snow up against the vehicle.

Actually need the snow, moisture. Way below normal snow fall so far this season.
I have an excuse. CRS.

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:22 am

The plan is to go work on an exhibit at Johnson's Shut-ins State Park Tuesday. Might have to wait on that.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Bring it!

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN MAINE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES. THE HIGHER
AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED IN SOUTHERN AROOSTOOK WITH THE LESSER
AMOUNTS IN A LINE FROM MILLINOCKET TO VAN BUREN AND WESTWARD.

* TIMING...TODAY INTO TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL MAKE TRAVEL
EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. HIGH WINDS MAY CAUSE A FEW POWER OUTAGES.
WIND CHILLS APPROACHING 20 BELOW ZERO WHICH WILL INCREASE THE
RISK OF HYPOTHERMIA AND FROST BITE.

* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...6 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE ZERO.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:25 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have ad the blade and chains on the cub for a couple months, but by the weather forecast, maybe I need to go a little further. We are a ways inside the predicted 6-11 inch band. If we get that it will be the biggest snow we have had in quite a while. I am thinking about digging out my old carousel to put on also.

Of course with my wife and I both being retired and having two 4wd rigs, I may just leave it for spring. :P

I don't think that cab would stay on here today. It was 4 degrees and 50 Mph gusts. :D

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Everyone is entitled to dream of springtime, but don't take your snow blades and chains off yet. There is more winter to come.

Farmers and those that enjoy tractors are outdoors people, and usually have a keen interest in the weather. Paying attention to the weather has been in my blood from the days of being a farm boy and praying with my parents for rain as the crops were wilting away in the fields. And, in the winter, it was staying ahead of three day white-out blizzards.

Let me state up front I have absolutely no financial interest whatsoever in Joe Bastardi's Weather Bell forecasting business, but I became aware of his extensive skills from listening to him on television years ago when he was in the business of forecasting hurricanes. Now Bastardi is predicting weather on a commercial basis for business but on the side he does a free weather roundup each Saturday of coming events, both for the short and long term. Some may find his discussions quite technical, but one can always take away the gist of what he is driving at. He is predicting a long, slow journey into spring this year with much more snow and cold weather to come. Here is a link to his site for those that may be interested in what is on the horizon.

http://www.weatherbell.com/saturday-sum ... ry-14-2015

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:17 pm

torchred89 wrote:I don't think that cab would stay on here today. It was 4 degrees and 50 Mph gusts. :D

That's what I was thinking, it would be torn to shreds. Seems perverted, I know, but I kind of like getting all bundled up and battling the elements. I just hope the tractor starts. It likes the battery better than the hand crank and I can't pick my starter up from the auto electric shop until tomorrow morning.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Posco wrote:...........Seems perverted, I know, but I kind of like getting all bundled up and battling the elements. I just hope the tractor starts. It likes the battery better than the hand crank and I can't pick my starter up from the auto electric shop until tomorrow morning.
When I was younger I looked forward to a big winter storm and snow, enjoyed the challenge. Now it is just a pain in the posterior, which I have plenty of anyway, as well as in many other parts of my body.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:30 pm

midmo wrote:The plan is to go work on an exhibit at Johnson's Shut-ins State Park Tuesday. Might have to wait on that.
There ain't no good way to get from your place to the Shut-Ins, especially with snow on the ground. :lol: If it were decent weather I might be tempted to run down and see what you do for a living, but not if the current forecast holds true.

From the NOAA site.
Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 16. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Washington's Birthday Snow. High near 26. North wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Tuesday A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
Last edited by John *.?-!.* cub owner on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:33 pm

I need a cab! Getting soft in my old age. Just finished plowing 10 inches, 19 degrees, and wind at 35 mph. I keep threatening to set up a cab, "one of these days". maybe this winter will persuade me to do it!
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Neighbor has a nice Polaris 4wd with partial cab. I keep telling him that if he will get a heated cab for it and a snow blade I will plow his road and mine with it, but so far no deal. :cry:

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:53 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:I need a cab! Getting soft in my old age. Just finished plowing 10 inches, 19 degrees, and wind at 35 mph. I keep threatening to set up a cab, "one of these days". maybe this winter will persuade me to do it!
Ed

and just think you could have been at the DSCF 60 and 70 deg
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:15 am

Lone Jack, MO was on the northwestern edge of last night's snowfall; got 2"-3" across Kansas City and surrounding area. We received about 2"+; light and fluffy. Those east of me in Columbia and points southeast gained higher totals.

Biggest snow we've had all winter, which isn't sayin' much. The deep freeze is the bigger pain--really low temps all week long.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 am

So far here is a little under 2". Go south and north a lot more. Think I will try and use the leaf blower.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:57 am

Looks like we got lucky, it made a turn at the last minute and one big storm went north, and another south, left us in the middle with about an inch of snow. St Louis to the north and Cape Girardeau to the south got it hard though.