This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fires but no start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Fires but no start

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm

make sure your rotor button is timed corectly. Install mag with # 1 piston top dead center on compression stroke. Make sure that the rotor is pointing to number 1 on the distributer cap. Hint !! you wont be able to install the mag so as to the rotor points directly to number 1. it will be just after number one. between number 1 and 3. after mag is installed rotate the engine backwords 1/2 turn. then the impules will be in time with #1 on the cap. This is assuming you didnt have the governor off the engine and the engine ran before.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clip » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:15 pm

As I have it timed now, the rotor points to #1, probably one or two degrees towards #3. Governor hasn't been adjusted at all since engine ran maybe 15 years ago. Like everyone says, "ran when I parked it."

When I pulled the mag off initially, the rotor was probably at 30-40 degrees clockwise from #1 and I wasn't getting any spark. Thought this was kind of interesting as I don't think it was messed with since it ran, but I matched the rotor and pinion marks to get spark back.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Clip wrote:As I have it timed now, the rotor points to #1, probably one or two degrees towards #3. Governor hasn't been adjusted at all since engine ran maybe 15 years ago. Like everyone says, "ran when I parked it."

When I pulled the mag off initially, the rotor was probably at 30-40 degrees clockwise from #1 and I wasn't getting any spark. Thought this was kind of interesting as I don't think it was messed with since it ran, but I matched the rotor and pinion marks to get spark back.

I saw in an earlier post that you had checked compression but if the engine has not run in the last 15 years, I would look at the valves, might be sticking or other issues. Once you are confident that the timing is correct and you have spark at the plugs, you might try pull start it with a pony tank for fuel if you don't have the regular fuel tank in place. Just my 2 cents worth.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:37 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:
Clip wrote:As I have it timed now, the rotor points to #1, probably one or two degrees towards #3. Governor hasn't been adjusted at all since engine ran maybe 15 years ago. Like everyone says, "ran when I parked it."

I saw in an earlier post that you had checked compression but if the engine has not run in the last 15 years, I would look at the valves, might be sticking or other issues. Once you are confident that the timing is correct and you have spark at the plugs, you might try pull start it with a pony tank for fuel if you don't have the regular fuel tank in place. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good point, Stan regarding the valves. Another thing, I don't want to start a debste here but my experience with Champion plugs is such that I won't buy them anymore. I've spent many hours chasing ignition problems that turned out being the new Champion plugs I installed. :evil:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Clip » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got it timed correctly after attempting to set it 180 out with poor results. Will pull the valve cover off and verify free movement of the valves and try the pony tank. I'm tossing around the idea of new plug wires. I was surprised to see all four ground electrodes were wildly different lengths, but gapped all to .023 and they sparked with no issue out of the cylinders. I'm used to running NGK copper with excellent results and Autolites in my domestics, might have to try a set in the Cub if they have better QC.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:13 pm

Clip,

Sounds like you have exhausted the magneto timing suggestions. Just for clarity, when I say 180 out, I am referring to the rotation of the rotor; so, instead of firing at the #1 tower when #1 is on compression stroke, it would be firing at the #4 tower. Remember, the magneto only turns once for every TWO rotations of the engine, since it only fires on the compression strokes, and not the exhaust. It now sounds like you had it timed right to begin with, so your problem may truly be fuel related. If yes, some starting fluid ought to get you a good spurt of activity, shoot it straight down the carb intake (take intake hose loose). Also, after a prolonged period of inactivity, some cubs will only crank when pull started, the first time. After running a bit, they normally settle out and start more easily. It probably has to do with piston rings a bit stuck, and/or valves not fully seating. Once you get it running, try a little Seafoam through it, that helps clear up deposits and stuck "stuff".
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Clip » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks for clarification on the 180 out, Rick. In that case, I've tried it 90 out and 180 out :) then watching it fire with open valves. I'll get the shifter welded up, adjust clutch free play and might tow it around the yard a little after I make a pony tank for it.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:36 am

Clip wrote:Thanks for clarification on the 180 out, Rick. In that case, I've tried it 90 out and 180 out :) then watching it fire with open valves. I'll get the shifter welded up, adjust clutch free play and might tow it around the yard a little after I make a pony tank for it.

This is where I started with one, it sat for 30+ years without the engine being turned. Had to pull start it the first time.
composite1.JPG
Stan in LA (lower AL)

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Clip » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:58 am

Quick update: tried checking for spark using a handheld spark tester (the kind you hold on the wire and watch for a bulb to light up in the handle), and also used the timing light's pickup to check. The handheld tester wouldn't indicate spark unless I was holding it on the coil wire, and gave a very dim, intermittent flash. The timing light would indicate the same when I had the pickup on the four spark plug wires, seemed like wire 4 flashed a little more than 1 but all were intermittent.

These results don't agree with what I've seen when I pulled the four plugs out several times and verified consistent spark, and also saw consistent spark from the coil wire to a ground. Not sure if this is related to the tools in relation to the lower voltage 6v system or a weak coil, or maybe I'm not getting consistent spark when everything is in place and cranking.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Not sure I believe either of those test methods works great on a magneto. The only tester I've seen with a bulb in the handle was for testing 12V DC, or 120 V AC. Maybe this one is made specifically for a spark plug tester, but I am not familiar with those. Also, timing lights are a bit hit or miss with magneto ignition; you must typically use a 12V battery separate from the Cub for power, but then they will flash when they sense a spark.

However, assuming at least one of your methods is reliable, an intermittent weak spark will never crank a cub. You need to eliminate some culprits, such as a ground fault at the wire mounting stud that goes through the magneto housing, or a bad cap (wasn't it replaced?). If in doubt abut your test methods, use either the kind that makes the spark jump an air gap, or jump from the end of the wire to the block or other suitable ground.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Clip » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:26 pm

Update: magneto cleaned and gaskets replaced, coil and plug wires replaced. Started up second crank!

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:09 pm

:D Success is sweet!! Congrats and celebrate. :beer:
Stan in LA (lower AL)