This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I have a couple issues, help appreciated

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: I have a couple issues, help appreciated

Postby leerenovations » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Bus Driver wrote:With thermosiphon cooling, the coolant will not/cannot circulate except when the coolant level is sufficient to create a continuous "loop". Coolant must be visible when one looks into the radiator filler neck. It is a sort of balancing act to get enough coolant in the system to permit circulation without getting overflow from expansion when the engine is fully warmed.

I just fill the radiator up with the mix, I figure the old girl can spit out what she dosent need. I park on sand so im not worried about the excess dropping on the ground.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

fletchman919
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45693
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1966 Colt 2712
1966 Sears Suburban 10
1969 Sears Super 12
1972 Sears SS15
1963 Cub
1969 Cub Lo Boy

Postby fletchman919 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 pm

Awesome! Thank you guys! I'll make a trip to NAPA tomorrow.

leerenovations, that was my thinking as well. I topped it off back in November. Since then, it has spit out what it didn't want.

fletchman919
10+ Years
10+ Years
1966 Colt 2712
1966 Sears Suburban 10
1969 Sears Super 12
1972 Sears SS15
1963 Cub
1969 Cub Lo Boy

Postby fletchman919 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:54 am

I picked up the NAPA 1153 and the hole isn't large enough to accommodate the thru-bolt. Should I drill it out? The oil filter that came out was a Hastings brand I believe and shaped a little different. I assume the 1153 is what guys make work due to a discontinued or expensive oil filter element?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:24 am

It's the correct filter, not something guys make work. Flip it over and see if the hole is bigger on the other side. I think you had it upside down.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

fletchman919
10+ Years
10+ Years
1966 Colt 2712
1966 Sears Suburban 10
1969 Sears Super 12
1972 Sears SS15
1963 Cub
1969 Cub Lo Boy

Postby fletchman919 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks Barnyard! After posting that, I decided to try it again because if anyone is trust worthy, it's the good folks here. Sure enough, I turned the filter upside down (according to the print) and it worked. :)

Thanks again to all that have helped me get my Cub ready to work for the year. I really enjoy reading the threads here and working on my new to me tractor.

I found a couple more zerks to grease, changed the oil, changed the air filter oil and cleaned the breather and down tube and oiled the fan housing. After all of that, I measured the toe-in of the front wheels and they were actually toed-out. I got a little crazy with the adjustment and toed them in a little too far, but it removed all of the slop in the tie rods so I left it. It steers so much better now.

It feels good getting it all greased up and fresh oil. It was in bad need of some maintenance. It had lots of squeaks and a jerky rocker arm. It had so much slop in the front end that I couldn't drive it in third gear down the lane. Now it operates smooth and quietly and steers straight. I can't wait to take it back to the camp to put it to work.

I also heard about a product called Motor Kote and although skeptical, I went ahead and bought a bottle for my Chevy Suburban. There was enough left over to add to my Cub so I did. After watching youtube videos, it appears that this product greatly reduces friction and heat. I'm not the type that usually buys into gimmicks, but my father recommended that I try it after hearing some truckers talk about it on 700 WLW. He's not the gimmick type either so he convinced me to try it. I've read that it takes some time running the engine before the product does what it's supposed to do, so I haven't noticed anything yet.

Just thought I'd share that and see if anyone else has ever used the product and had any good or bad experiences. I'll report back if I notice any worthy improvements in mpg in my truck or less heat or engine noise.