This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Farmall Cub - stored and not running

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jimmymike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37380
Tractors Owned: 2007 John Deere 3203
1948 Farmall Cub

1948 Farmall Cub - stored and not running

Postby Jimmymike » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:10 am

:help: I’m a green horn newbie to the Cub forum. I just purchased a 1948 Farmall Cub from a friend of mine and need advice from the experts. This tractor was completely restored to original about 18 years ago but has spent the last 8 years stored in the corner of a garage. After restoration the tractor was only used as a trailer queen, driven only at tractor shows and parades. When the tractor was stored the last owner said it was running but not as smooth as it should. He also tried to start it a couple of years ago but the carburetor would flood out and pour gas and it has been sitting since then. The engine turns freely, the oil is clear, the radiator is still full with clean coolant, the gas tank is clean but has gas residue (varnish), and the fuel bowl is full of the same stuff. If you had this tractor and wanted to get it back to running condition where would your start? I’m totally new to Farmall Cubs’ and would like to hear from the experts before I start tinkering :worthy: .

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1948 Farmall Cub - stored and not running

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:16 am

Welcome to the forum! Since you have noted varnish in the tank and carb I would start by cleaning and flushing the tank, then clean the varnish from the carb. The flooding of gas is likely due to a stuck float or float valve or it could be the normal drip you get from non-start conditions.
You will want to also clean the ignition points. Since the tractor has set for so long it is likely that they are glazed over. That and a freshly charged battery should get you going.
If you have additional questions just ask away.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:30 am

Make sure you have oil pressure, if not you'll have to prime the oil pump. Just search this forum for the how to on priming the oil pump.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

Postby Alan Gee » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:06 am

The Carburetor,,
If the sediment bowl is gunked up you can bet the carb is also. Mine was the same way. I really hesitated to yank the carb and over haul it because I have had other carbs apart and there were a million little fidely parts and springs and mystery items in them. The carb on your Farmall has almost nothing in it. No mystery parts no springs. There are just one or two little brass jets or plugs that come out with a small screw driver , clean them and put them back.
It is as basic as it can get. With only normal hand tools and a little time you can get it off, apart , cleaned and back togther in a half hour. Dont scrimp buy a gasket kit first. More than likly there is a speck of gunk in the float valve . I think the hardest part for me was re-attaching the choke rod and the miserable little cotter pin with my Banana fingers. Good luck

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:26 am

Alan Gee wrote:I think the hardest part for me was re-attaching the choke rod and the miserable little cotter pin with my Banana fingers.

I have found that manipulating the cotter pin with a pair of needle nosed pliers is a good substitute for fingers that no longer do what they used to. Using a small hairpin style cotter is also helpful.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:34 am

When splitting the carb, be careful of the idle tube. It's a thin metal tube, protruding down, from the upper section, into the lower. Separate by lifting the upper section up, not by twisting, to preserve this fragile part.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Prime the oil pump before attempting to start the Cub!!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
Alan Gee wrote:I think the hardest part for me was re-attaching the choke rod and the miserable little cotter pin with my Banana fingers.

I have found that manipulating the cotter pin with a pair of needle nosed pliers is a good substitute for fingers that no longer do what they used to. Using a small hairpin style cotter is also helpful.
It also depends at what step in the re-installing process you try to connect it. I learned here on the forum; do it first with the carb upside down so you can see what you're doing. Then swivel the carb right side up on the choke rod and bolt loosely into place. Connect fuel line. Tighten manifold bolts. Connect/adjust throttle rod.

waterboychuck
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99026

Postby waterboychuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:04 pm

The guys on this site have given you lots of information. My only comment is to please use the tractor. Yes it will get dirty but so what. Machines like to run so run them.

Good luck.

Jimmymike
5+ Years
5+ Years
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby Jimmymike » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks guys for all the good advice. I would have never thought of priming the oil pump or taking extra precaution with carb idle tube and choke rod. Stuff like this is valuable to a newbie. If anyone can chime in with any other advice I'm all ears.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Jimmymike wrote:If anyone can chime in with any other advice I'm all ears.
Compression checked?
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Since it has not run in a long time, remove and check the spark plugs and put a small amount of cylinder lube in each hole. This can't hurt at all and might help free any sticking rings and valves. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

cecildew
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21921
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby cecildew » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks.
1948 Farmall Cub
- McCormick Cub-22 Mower
- McCormick Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
- McCormick Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade
- McCormick Cub-144 Cultivator

Jimmymike
5+ Years
5+ Years
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby Jimmymike » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:24 am

:help: I finally got around to working on the '48 Cub. Cleaned all fuel lines, strainer and tank. Disassembled cleaned all carburetor internals, reset carb float, and installed new float valve and gaskets. Installed new points, plugs, rotor, condenser, distributor cap, and plug wires. Cleaned all electrical connections and installed a brand new fully charged Exide 6Volt battery with new "twice the original size" ground cable. Moved ground attachment from battery box to transmission housing to get a better positive ground. Changed the oil/filter and primed the oil pump. Poured in a gallon of fresh premium no-alcohol gas. Marked the mag setting on the housing and checked the timing using Farmall instructions for the J4 magneto and found it was still in time.

Results: Tractor turns over great and has a bright blue/white spark at distributor and each spark plug. Tractor will not fire. It wants to burp occasionally but that's all I can get out of it. The carb leaks gas after each failed start so at least gas is getting to it. Checked the plugs and they were moist (but it might be from the squirt of Mystery Oil I put in each cylinder when changing the plugs.). After trying to get it to start I gave the carb a shot of starting fluid and nothing new happened, no burp, no nothing. I did find the right side carb/manifold stud was partially stripped out when trying to reinstall the carb. Cleaned the threads and was able to connect to a few undamaged ones when securing. Seems to be tight against the intake gasket now. The previous owner told me he had the same problem trying to get it to start after sitting and gave up years ago when he parked the tractor in his garage. I'm not 100% sure gas is getting into the cylinders? I haven't checked the compression yet because I don't have a fitting for my compression gauge that will fit the spark plug hole threads. But, with each plug removed it seems to have decent compression while holding your thumb in the spark plug hole while cranking. I will have to buy one of the "universal press fit" compression gauges, when I go into town, to check the compression.

Connected my timing light power leads to a 12-Volt battery charger to get power to the light and checked the timing while turning over the engine with the starter. The #1 is firing about 3/4" past TDC on the crank pulley. Is this correct? Should it be firing at TDC when cranking? Just for an experment I moved the timing so #1 would fire at TDC but without any change, still no indication of firing. Returned the mag back to it's original setting. Could the jet in the carb be completly plugged? When cleaning with carb cleaner I blew out each hole with compressed air. Seemed all passages were free. I gave up for the day and decided to write you guys for expert help since this '48 Cub is all new for me. :lost:

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:16 am

Are all the valves free. Look through the plug holes or better yet pull the side cover, it will come off with manifold on.
The rings may also be stuck. You really need to do a good compression check dry and then wet.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers