This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling the pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:58 pm

I had to turn my jack so the pump was down ofr it to work, and then it still would only go out about half way, but that was enough.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:47 pm

Hey Guys!- We bought a bunch of jacks to go with the kits and discovered on day that they wouldn't pump on there sides too. No problem! Just lay your jack over and fill it with oil. It will work fine then :lol: . We went back through all the jacks and discovered they are shipped with very little oil, barely enough to work upright. Some wouldn't pump at all on there sides. I simply laid it over horizontal, filled to the plug, and wala. It will pump all the way out no problem.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:46 am

What kind of oil to put in it. I have a jack that doesnt even pump upright. I am trying to get it to pump on its side but I guess I need to add more oil to get it to pump first.
Down here in cajun country!
Breaux Bridge, La
http://photobucket.com/albums/y235/kylev/Tractor/
1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 am

most auto parts and fram supply stores as well as Walmart sell "hydralic jack oil" in small squeeze bottles.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:59 am

Here's one I made using a $10.00 Harbor Freight bearing seperator. My jack would pump all the way if I positioned the handle assembly down towards the floor.

[img][img]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2886648/5823280/74745022.jpg[/img][/img]
Always try the easiest thing first.

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:04 am

while you guys are filling those jacks do it with it in the all-the-way down position or it might spit in your eye.
phantom

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:41 pm

I've actually practiced pulling the pulley off my cub several times one day in to be able to right an acurate instruction for our puller. I found that with the jack handle down its a more difficult operation. You get more control with the handle up.

Just about any mineral base hydraulic oil will work in a hand pump jack.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:33 pm

WKPoor wrote:I've actually practiced pulling the pulley off my cub several times one day in to be able to right an acurate instruction for our puller. I found that with the jack handle down its a more difficult operation. You get more control with the handle up.

Just about any mineral base hydraulic oil will work in a hand pump jack.

The handle can be anywhere ... just so the pump is toward the bottom. :D Otherwise it may have to pump air. The air should always be in the part of the reservoir above the pump. 8) The need for the air to expand is why the reservoir should not be filled completely, otherwise the oil pumped into the ram will try (but not succeed) to create a perfect vacuum. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:54 pm

Where do you put the fluid in these jacks?

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Most of them have a rubber plug in the side. usually marked fill to here.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:01 pm

LOL Duh. Let me fill it there and see what happens. When I try and jack it while upright it moves a little but when on its side with the pump at the bottom it does nothing. It has been sitting up for a year or so. Maybe it needs fluid.

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:48 pm

George- I was talking about the handle being up for control over the operation reasons. For most bottle jacks that puts the pump on the R/H side as you look down on the jack. You could still put the handle in from the bottom side but would not exert the proper mechanical action on the pump. My first recomendation for filling the reservior with the jack on its side made the presumption that the ram would be retracted and the pump to the right.
Thanks to those for detailing those items for me.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:55 am

I've read all the jack post with interest, but I think I will go down and buy one that says it can be used in both positions. All mine says vertical position only. I looked at them all at Sears near me and their's didn't say anything about positions.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Ok I got my jack to jack now that it has fluid in it. But I when I jack it with the puller I was sent it tends to start pushing the puller off center. I tried 4 times today. I will try more tommorow. :cry:

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:19 am

If you are using a bolt large enough to set agianst the end of the shaft rather than screwing direclty inot the shaft it tends to lean to the side aand push the jack, etc. a little crooked. If it pushes a little crooked it shouldn't hurt so long as the puller doesn't slip too far up on the pyulley and pull against the flange, which on that one I don't think it will.