This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling the pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:09 pm

Why do you guys keep pulling the pullys off ?

Rick 48 cub
Rick 1948 cub

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:38 pm

The crank pulley comes off when you rebuild the engine or need to remove the timing cover.

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:00 pm

I thought you guys just had too much time on your hands. :D :D

(Just Kidding)
Rick 1948 cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:29 pm

Rick, most of the time you won't pull the crank pulley but one or two times in the life of a cub, but as Carl said there are a few jobs that require it's removal. Most of us when we acquire a cub run it a while (if possible) then go through it doing needed repairs. One of the needed repairs on most cubs is the front crank seal. I am probably one of the few people that have ever removed one just to see how hard it was to do, which is what I was doing in the picture I posted. That engine was from a parts tractor that I had stored in my shed and I removed the pulley just to see how well my puller would work.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:JB, there is a keyway.

You say there is a keyway????? So to take off the front pulley I cant take it off without getting the key out first right.... In that case could I have damaged something by trying to pull it off with a pulley puller? I never could get it off with a puller as of yet. I just bought a 1/2" solid steel rod to put in the center of the pulley but still need a good puller like you have to do the job.

Thanks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:00 pm

you didn't damage anything. the pulley is sometimes very hard to remove. Before I had the puller made I used a bearing seperator and a 5 ton gear puller on them, but I had one that was so tight I broke the 5 ton puller.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ejhottel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ejhottel » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:09 pm

OK, now that its off how did you put it back on?
Jack Hottel

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:18 pm

Jack, heat the pulley to about 200 - 250 degrees (electric oven works great if the wife isn't around). Use a heavy piece of flat bar stock with a hole in the center and a piece of all-thread rod (1/2") threaded into the end of the crankshaft. Slide the heated pulley onto the shaft, place the flat stock over the all-thread rod and use a washer & nut to pull the pulley onto the crankshaft.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:52 am

Found what I was looking for removing and installing a Crank shaft pulley. I knew it would be here.
I'm not doing the cub but the BN . What is the interference fit between the shaft and the pulley. I checked it and it appeared to be .001 on the diameter. It does'nt have a threaded hole that I could see, yet, if it doesnt can I wait till it gets good and cold out, heat the pulley as recommended and tap with a brass hammer.(Shrink Fit) Also does the pulley fit tight up to the crank? Alignment of the key. Any Ideas how to. I was going to carry lines out to the end of the crank and the Eye ball it. Is this it, or is there a better Idea out there (Sorry to post here but this is where I found my answers.)
Installing gaskets. What do you guys use (form a gasket or dry)
Thanks PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:02 pm

The end of the crank on my Super A is treaded, I assume (not always a good idea) that the BN is the same. I wouldn't beat on the pulley with any kind of hammer. These pulleys will break if you look at them wrong. You need a plate to back up the pulley and a good puller or a jack as show above in the post. Heat may help , too. The key comes out after the pulley is off.

Good Luck
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:14 pm

rick 48 cub wrote:Why do you guys keep pulling the pullys off ?

Rick 48 cub

I had to pull mine last winter, after I broke the timing cover. :cry: I broke that by rolling over the WRONG way into a creek! :oops: :shock: Luckily, only a few parts on the Cub needed fixed, and none on me. :D

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:49 pm

My dad said I should to replace the front seal.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Hey John,

(Long-time-no-see) I'm just getting back into the groove of things. Completely moved into our home and FINALLY got my shop built :D :D :D :D :D So you'll see me back on the forum again.

I was wondering, can I infringe on your kindness and get one of those pullers made for me too? I still have a number of Cubs that need to be parted out :? and your puller is certainly a tool I can use. :)
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:30 pm

beaconlight wrote:WKPOOR what is the diameter of the hole in the one with the slot? and the width of the slot? Does it fetch up on the taper ahead of the Pulley?

Bill

I'm in the process of building one like John's and I cut my slot 1 3/8" square. Now I have to buy a new jack because none of mine will pump laying on their sides.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:42 pm

Put the lever on the bottom that will probably do it.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop