This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

brakes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
delawhere
10+ Years
10+ Years

brakes

Postby delawhere » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:38 am

took aches and pains for a very short ride. no brakes. boy can i buy em or what! unhooked the brake rod from the pedal on right side and when i pulled on it the travel i got out of it was never the same. it sure feels like something is wrong in there. anyway im getting ready to order brake parts. what gasket will i need, or should i just order a gasket set. thanks.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:56 am

I could be that your pivot pin is broken. I have disassembled our two cubs and the pivot pin was broken on both of them cant remember if it was the same side on both , might be an interesting investigation. does one side see more torque than the other?
As far as the gaskets go it depends how far you want to get into it. You will have to take the final drive off at least. Good time to replace those seals and gaskets.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 am

There are no gaskets involved where the finals attach to the tractors, but as PWL said, this is a good time to replace the top seal in the final and the tranny seals involved.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

delawhere
10+ Years
10+ Years

brakes

Postby delawhere » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:40 pm

hey thanks folks. i'm going to pull the right side first and see what i got.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: brakes

Postby Hengy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:25 pm

delawhere wrote:hey thanks folks. i'm going to pull the right side first and see what i got.

Delawhere,

PLEASE be careful and make sure that you wedge or block the front bolster so it cannot pivot on the axle. Cubs are very tippy when you lift the rear off the ground, and it can end up on its side faster than anything if not wedged!

Safety first!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Make sure you chock the front axle to the radiator bolster before you jack up the rear end. Otherwise you could have real problems. There's a picture somewhere in the archives of a tractor laid over like a dead horse.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

delawhere
10+ Years
10+ Years

brakes

Postby delawhere » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:19 pm

thanks again. me and my neighbor are going to tear into it tomorrow.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:33 pm

First Stater,

Here's what the guys are talking about.

Photo courtesy George Willer
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Re: brakes

Postby drspiff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm

delawhere wrote:took aches and pains for a very short ride. no brakes. boy can i buy em or what!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! Early Cub brakes are minimal when they are working at their best. I didn't know that my '51 was supposed to have brakes until I asked somebody what those pedals were for. :oops: There is a reason that IH changed the brake design a couple of times during the life of the Cub.

Read the manuals and take it nice and easy on the repair. Be sure and make the tractor stable before you jack it to remove the the big pieces. You will hear many people to chock the front end and have cribbing or stout jackstands on the rear. They are saying this for very good reasons. The Cub will fall over if you neglect these things. An you ain't seen "Aches & Pains" until you try to catch a tractor that's falling over.

Rick (Trust me on this one!) Dulas

delawhere
10+ Years
10+ Years

brakes

Postby delawhere » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:49 am

thanks again for all the info. i'm figuring on blocking and chocking the front real good. then using the overhead come along (5000lbs) to help cradle the back end on the right side after its up and supported. will keep you posted.