This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tune up question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jamieg74
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tune up question

Postby jamieg74 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:42 pm

I have just replaced basicaly all of the ignition components, rebuilt the govorner and the carb. I put everything back together and the cub runs but I want to make sure it runs as good as it can. What order should I use to tune things up? I am guessing timing and then the carb. Is there any adjustment for the govorner? If so where should I fit it in to the order of things?

Thanks

Jamie

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:02 pm

While you are tuning it up, make sure to adjust the valves so the gap is just right. Mine are set to 0.013 and it really helped the power of the tractor...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:32 pm

I usually do the timing first. Then using the low speed adjustment on the carb turn it until you get a smooth transition between low and hi speed. If it is set incorrectly there will be a hesitation from low to high. There are times when this will even cure surging that is caused by the governor hunting. If I do get a problem with governor hunting I always check the carb adjustment before I start adjusting the governor.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:46 pm

One other thing is to set your points before setting timing. Changing the points will change the timing.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:08 am

As Mike mentioned, be sure to adjust the valves, so start with that first. Next, replace & adjust the points, replacing the condenser at the same time.

Replace spark plugs (and wires, cap, rotor, etc. if doing so) Be sure to confirm correct plug gap.

Check & adjust Ignition timing.

Start engine & warm up

Adjust carb. idle mixture.

If you have a tachometer, confirm no load RPM. (Varies with year, check manual) If adjustment is needed, adjust the stop screw on the lever on top of the governor.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:00 am

Gary Dotson wrote:If you have a tachometer, confirm no load RPM. (Varies with year, check manual) If adjustment is needed, adjust the stop screw on the lever on top of the governor.

OK, this brings up a question. I have a 1949 Cub, so I am pretty sure that it is a 1600RPM engine. Will I kill the engine if it is adjusted to run at 1800RPM? What about 2000RPM like some of the later cubs?

What detriment will the extra 200 or 400 RPM have on a 1600RPM engine? What is the differences that allow the engine to run faster without killing it?

OK...that was several questions....

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 am

WisconsinCubMan wrote:
Gary Dotson wrote:If you have a tachometer, confirm no load RPM. (Varies with year, check manual) If adjustment is needed, adjust the stop screw on the lever on top of the governor.
OK, this brings up a question. I have a 1949 Cub, so I am pretty sure that it is a 1600RPM engine. Will I kill the engine if it is adjusted to run at 1800RPM? What about 2000RPM like some of the later cubs?

What detriment will the extra 200 or 400 RPM have on a 1600RPM engine? What is the differences that allow the engine to run faster without killing it?Mike in La Crosse, WI
An opinion. Engine RPM, high idle and low idle. I have several tachs but set my tractor engines RPMs by ear and feel.

1600 RPMs is the maximum torque for the C-60 engine. 1800 and 2000 RPM give you a bit more horsepower. Will the additional 200 or 400 RPMs kill the engine - not on an engine in good mechanical condition.

Changing the length of the linkage between the carburator and govenor arm will (should) add a few RPMs. You could also change over the manifold and add the larger carburator. You could have the distributor reworked to increase the advance. But, it's a tractor not a race car.
I have an excuse. CRS.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:42 am

Mike,
The later cubs with higher horsepower did have a couple of differences. One was the Zenith Carb, which has larger intakes, and therefore moves more gas and air. The other was domed pistons in the engine.

Can you increase the rpm on your engine. Yes, and it probably will not hurt anything, as long as you do not run it wide open all of the time. However, if you look up the power curve on the engine, the engine was designed to give the greatest torque at about 1600 rpm, and the htorque actually drops off after about 1800 rpm. So, increasing the rpm on your tractor will really not do anything positive towards power, since torque gives you power to operate/pull implements, other than implements and ground speed will be very slightly faster.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:51 am

Eugene wrote:Changing the length of the linkage between the carburator and govenor arm will (should) add a few RPMs.

This isn't a good idea. The main effect will be to potentially mess up the governor behavior or keep the engine from idling down properly.

This rod should be adjusted with the engine off. Push the control lever fully forward, hold the throttle wide open at the carb and adjust the length of the rod so the pin will just slide in without disturbing the position of any other parts. You are likely to find that there is enough wear in the various connections that there is some range of length adjustment that will allow the pin to be installed. I always adjust the rod as long as possible while still allowing the pin to go in.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Jim- In GSS-1411, pg 2-18, it is recommended to do the gov-to-carb rod adjustment with the operator's control at half-speed. What would be the difference in pushing the operator's control fully forward? :?
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Jim- I think I may have figured it out. Did you mean to push the governor control rockshaft arm all the way back, as oposed to the operator's throttle control?

Yes its true, I'm a little slow, but I catch up eventually. :oops:
Trent McPeak

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Eugene wrote:Changing the length of the linkage between the carburator and govenor arm will (should) add a few RPMs.
This isn't a good idea. The main effect will be to potentially mess up the governor behavior or keep the engine from idling down properly.
This won't affect the govenor behavior/operation but it could limit the engine's ability to idle down somewhat. My Cub, and probably most Cubs, has enough slop/wear in the linkage, if adjusted to compensate, would add a few RPMs.

The topic was adding 200 to 400 engine RPMs. At approximately 1600 RPM, the butterfly valve/plate throttle valve in my Cub's carburator is not fully open. The ungovernored C60 engine is capable of considerably more than 2000 rpms. I had the govenor connecting rod drop out of the carburator - run away engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Trent M wrote:Jim- In GSS-1411, pg 2-18, it is recommended to do the gov-to-carb rod adjustment with the operator's control at half-speed. What would be the difference in pushing the operator's control fully forward? :?

I did mean the operator's control. I think if everything is in perfect condition, pushing the lever anythere from about 1/3 to full will give the same result. It will put enough tension on the governor spring to rotate the rockshaft back. But again, with worn patrs . . .

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 am

I agree with Jim on gov. rod adjustment. There is only one way to correctly adjust the rod length, it's all about having the whole system in sync. While changing the length will somewhat affect maximum RPM, it will have an adverse effect on Gov. response. The stop screw on the lever was put there purposely, for adjusting no load RPM.

Mike, you can run your engine at 1800 or 2000 RPM if you would like, it's not likely to cause any problem at all. You'll likely run out of adjustment before reaching 2000, though.

My Cub has a power unit gov. on it, and will run much faster than 2000. It should have self destructed by now, but seems no worse for wear. I always knew a was kinda fast, but when we checked it with George's tach, we were both surprised - 3017 RPM!!!!! I seldom run full throttle!