This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Diesel Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Re: Diesel Cub

Postby Jeff M » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:03 am

Larry Barb Dotson wrote:I just got home from Plain City and A guy across from us had a Cub Cadet with the starter/generator and it squeeled for 5 or 10 seconds before it wiuld turn the engine over.

Seems as though that would be due to a loose belt. Just the same, you probably wouldn't have enough grunt to spin over a diesel with the Cub s/g.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Diesel Cub

Postby BigBill » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:55 am

Jeff M wrote:
Larry Barb Dotson wrote:I just got home from Plain City and A guy across from us had a Cub Cadet with the starter/generator and it squeeled for 5 or 10 seconds before it wiuld turn the engine over.

Seems as though that would be due to a loose belt. Just the same, you probably wouldn't have enough grunt to spin over a diesel with the Cub s/g.

With the higher compression ratio of the diesel engine the starter/generator doesn't stand a chance in cranking the diesel engine over. I think an air starter would be neat to have if your going diesel on a cub.

Yup a loose belt on the CC would finally turn the engine over as the belt gets hot and sticky in that one spot on the pulley(friction). After a while the belt is trash. If the belt is slipping when trying to start the generator is losing charge too it has to be slipping too while running.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jackman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:01 am

Some of the Yanmar 3 cylinder diesels have a cable operated compression release. I been lookin at my JD 850 and trying to imagine al the work to get that engine in a Cub, it would be very 8) when done but man o man is that a lot of work :shock: ......... What about just converting the C-60 to diesel didn't Oldsmoble do that back in the 80's with the 350 gasser, add a few diesel componets and presto they made a diesel from a gasser.

canamscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby canamscott » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:52 pm

They did convert an Olds motor gas to diesel, but that was one of the most significant lemons in the auto industry. Some of them are still out there. I saw one last week powering a Massey-Harris. However, seeing the major problems they had, I think converting the C60 would kill it. I do think putting one of the 20 hp 3 cyliners is a fantastic idea. We use a JD 870 at work and it is a pleasure. I have also considered putting in one of the tiny 4 cyl gas motors in a Cub, say from a Geo or Suzuki.

Scott

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:32 pm

canamscott wrote:They did convert an Olds motor gas to diesel, but that was one of the most significant lemons in the auto industry. Some of them are still out there. I saw one last week powering a Massey-Harris. However, seeing the major problems they had, I think converting the C60 would kill it. I do think putting one of the 20 hp 3 cyliners is a fantastic idea. We use a JD 870 at work and it is a pleasure. I have also considered putting in one of the tiny 4 cyl gas motors in a Cub, say from a Geo or Suzuki.

Scott

Most auto diesels were built from gassers and most were more successful than the GM. Even the early Mercedes (semi) diesel was originally a gasoline engine. At one time I had a 220 gas and a 220 diesel... same block and many other common parts.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

wdbtchr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63654
Tractors Owned: '58 Cub
'67 Cub
'68 Case 580

Looks like moving the starter might not be an issue

Postby wdbtchr » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:45 pm

I came across a picture of a Kubota 722 diesel engine with the starter mounted on the right side from the factory. Looks like the injector pump isn't in the way afterall.

I can't figure out how to post the picture.
David Bryant
'58 Farmall Cub
'67 Farmall Cub
'68 Case 580
'89 DTC 8606
'65 Kaiser Jeep M51a2
'67 Kaiser Jeep m54a2
'53 Dodge M37

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:09 pm

E-mail the pic to me and I'll post it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:24 pm

And here you are:

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:37 pm

:shock: :shock: Boy would I like to have that setting in my garage. :D :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Rick you and me both :shock: :D 8) :idea:

Dave
Dave

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Re: Looks like moving the starter might not be an issue

Postby drspiff » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 pm

wdbtchr wrote:I came across a picture of a Kubota 722 diesel engine with the starter mounted on the right side from the factory. Looks like the injector pump isn't in the way afterall.

This is a fascinating thread! Before I got too excited about the Kubota 722, I'd do a little more checking. Maybe Marketing just turned the picture around so it would look prettier.

Rick (I love digital images) Dulas

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 pm

My Kubota has the injectors on the right side but it's not here to check the starter location. Never had a reason to check until now :roll: Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:37 pm

canamscott wrote:They did convert an Olds motor gas to diesel, but that was one of the most significant lemons in the auto industry. Some of them are still out there. I saw one last week powering a Massey-Harris. However, seeing the major problems they had, I think converting the C60 would kill it. I do think putting one of the 20 hp 3 cyliners is a fantastic idea. We use a JD 870 at work and it is a pleasure. I have also considered putting in one of the tiny 4 cyl gas motors in a Cub, say from a Geo or Suzuki.

Scott

Actually, the Olds diesel engine wasn't the lemon most make it out to be. It suffered from a poor understanding of diesel engine needs by the consumer and the GM automobile dealer network's inability to service and troubleshoot problems. Most of the engine's demons stemmed from dirt and water in the fuel making it's way into precision components and the wrong service type oil in the crankcase. No water seperator, lousy fuel filter, owner abuse, repair shop mistakes, poor maintenance, crappy diesel fuel - the list goes on and on - this particular engine died of neglect straight from the factory. The design was good, application was horrible. Similar to the Edsel's unfounded reputation, it also was unfairly sentenced to death by design and marketing.

I can think of genuine fiascos, like the Vega's incredible melting aluminum engine and Cadillac's V8-6-4 clunker.

I'm anxious to see a Cub diesel conversion, it's gonna be a work of art!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

tomten farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02536

Postby tomten farm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:36 am

I have a vw 1.6 diesel block and & bellhousing separated that I'll bring to Cecil's.

If there is tractor apart somewhere - we can line up the components - and then do some collective head scratchin.

Maybe it isn't such a crazy notion as all that.

like the cub, there are lots and lots of these machines out there, and parts are available and reasonable.

nice torquey little critters

sure would be nice to have a bit more oomph behind the flail mower most of the time

Joe
At night, when all is quiet around the farm -- that's when the Tomten wakes up. He is the one who looks after everything while the farmer and his family are sleeping.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 am

The conversion I would like to see is a Continental Y-69 off an IH baler or combine installed in a Cub. Since IH replaced the Y-69 with the C-60 in its balers and combines, it would be neat to see one running side by side with a C-60 in a tractor. Yes I know the Cont. has 9 more CI's but what would that amount to in actual performance? 8) I still say IH could have designed, built, and sold the Cub more economically since they wouldn't have had to develop another mag, carb, and other components from scratch.

As to the "diesel" Cub, other than the pride and fun of seeing if it could be done, you would still have a three speed transmission, non-standard hitch and PTO, and the tendency to break finals and other major castings. I would rather go ahead and buy a nice newer compact tractor and be done with it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”