This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cold Start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cold Start

Postby siii8873 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:02 am

It is starting to get colder up here in Northern NY and this is the first cold weather I've experienced with my cub. All summer long the Cub started right up and ran great. Now that it's colder out I'm having a lot of difficulty starting the tractor. I'm afaraid when it gets cold cold I won't be able to get it started when I need it to plow, It also is not runnig as well as it did when it was warmer out even after it warms up. It seems to have less power and cycles a little like the governor is hunting. Anyone have any idea where to start to improve the starting and running of the cub?
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:22 am

In the winter I pull my battery indoors and keep it fully charged. I also keep the grounds clean and tight. Keeping the gas tank full also seems to help.

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 am

Is it cranking just as fast now that its cold. Now that it is cold here I have to use my hand crank. Did you try choking it all the way? Could be its got a clog in the carburetor and it isnt getting enough fuel for the cold weather.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:37 am

It will require more choking to start when cold, and untill they warm up, the hydraulics will put a lot more of a load on the engien.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:45 am

Everything the others suggested. Full tune up. Check the condition of the points, ignition timing, distributor mechanical advance. If this doesn't help then. --

You can improve cold start performance by retarding the timing a bit. The ignition is supposed to fire the spark plug at TDC. You can improve cold start performance by retarding the timing a bit, setting the ignition timing to fire at 1/2 a degree after TDC at cranking speed.

Eugene

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:09 am

Even though my Cub is in the garage I bought a magnetic heater at TSC that I stick to the oil pan. Seems to help. Condensation in the gas tank, carburator bowl, float also may be a problem. I also have to make sure one of the children hasn't moved the TC lever from where it was on shut down since the hydraulics really load the engine when it's cold. And as many have said before, make sure the anti-freeze is up to snuff and pre-mixed before it's put in the radiator if it's low.
Hope this helps.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:22 am

IF WE ALL WERE RICH WE WOULD HAVE HEATED BARNS.MINE GETS A LITTLE CRANKIE IN THE COLD.CHOKE IT AND LET'EM WARM UP.MIGHT WANT TO KEEP A TRICKLE CHARGER ON HER.KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:18 am

Ketcham where can you get a 6 volt trickle charger
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:24 am

A local mechanic told me these tractors can require a point adjustment from cold to warm weather, they may close some in cold weather. I think a full tune up is in order first. What is the best way to determine when the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke at TDC to remove the distributor as suggested on other post for replacing points. Would this be when the pointer is at TDC mark and the rotor is in the #1 firing position?
Are there any block heaters other than the magnetic type that are available for a cub?
I'm getting prepared for the next best thing to a heated garage and making room in my unheated garage to get the cub indoors. Probably build a shed next year.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rubee » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:43 am

My 48 was giving me trouble just last week when temps fell into the twenties over night. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and she fired right up. They were fouled with carbon.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:12 am

siii8873 wrote: What is the best way to determine when the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke at TDC to remove the distributor as suggested on other post for replacing points. Would this be when the pointer is at TDC mark and the rotor is in the #1 firing position?

Correct.

Eugene

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:01 am

HAD TO GET ALL 3 THREE GOING THIS MORNING IN THE 20S.I KEEP A HOT [CHARGED] 6 VOLT READY.HAD TO JUMP ALL THREE.6 VOLT SYSTEM DOES NOT SPIN FAST ENOUGH TO FIRE THEM UP.2 CUBS IN A POLE BARN THE H UNDER A OVER HANG.SHOULD HAVE PUT THEM OUT IN THE SUN TO WARM UP.WAS IN THE 20S [MID]BUT REAL NICE OUT NOW.FALL PARTY TONIGHT,BETTER GET GOIN.KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Don from Indiana
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Don from Indiana » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:15 pm

That is exactly the reason I converted mine to 12 volt. I use 10W30 oil. Cub is stored in an open shed and will start down to 0 easily.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Both my cubs and \dad's H always started down to 0 or a little below with no problem on 6 volts. Now, however, I don't care. if it is that cold I ain't gonna worry about it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:26 pm

My cubs crank slow, but generally start up well enough in the cold.....

The A usually needs a jump, as I never do seem to quite get the choke right on that one (it floods mighty easy)........and if I do use the crank, I'll crank myself into an asthma attack.....

My POS Cub Cadet/MTD thingamabob gets ice in the carb at temps below 40, however, and that is a source of vexation, to say the least.......

One can almost understand getting ice in a metal carb--the evaporative cooling of gasoline is substantial, and sometimes, lets face it, there's just too much water in the air....but a white plastic POS like that??