This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rebuilt carb questions- problems......

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

rebuilt carb questions- problems......

Postby lloyd430 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:55 pm

More help needed
I have been working with a member on my carb- actually he rebuilt the entire thing with a IH kit for me and it looks great, but it still leaks gas, after reading Lurker's power point for the umteenth time- has anyone ever checked the weight of a float to see which weight would work best?? Mine has some big boogers of solder on it and I am going to try and remove it, I just wasn't sure if anyone has ever checked the weight on them to compare???

Below are some pictures that best explain what I have come across- --

I actually removed the boogers of solder no help- I actually set the open position 1.6" to the closed distatance- to reduce the amount the float can travel--guess what no help either :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

1.there is no signs of cracks in the casting
2.the float floats
3.as soon as I put the bowl on the float does not shut off the gas- but wait the float still rattles inside the carb :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
4.if I mount the upper portion to the tractor, and leave the bowl off, and use an open container with gas in it for the flow to set in- the gas shuts off :D
5. I actually drove it with hose in place of the drain plug to see what happens to the gas level- it stays the same providing I only CRACK the fuel open if the fuel is more than cracked open it runs out the intake
6. Dose this mean there is something wrong with the lower half of the casting?? :? :? :? :?

Image you can actually see the gas running out of this one!

thanks,
Lloyd430
1947 Farmall Cub, SN 9920

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: rebuilt carb questions- problems......

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:00 pm

lloyd430:

For your pics to show up, you actually need the extension included. Looks like you have truncated url's. Right click on the image, click properties and then highlight from left to right and make sure you continue until you see .jpg or .gif as the extension.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Sorry ofr the bad links- I do belive its a mac vs pc thing

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:39 pm

I fought this exact problem with a friends Cub carb. for a few days. He knew absolutely nothing about it and I know just enough to get me in trouble. I took it apart about a zillion times and put two IH kits in it. Last Wednesday I decided to either destroy it or fix it. I took a piece of sandpaper and laid it flat on my work bench and put the float tang on it and run it back and forth and then the other side to narrow it down some. I then took the part the the pin goes through and the float tang rest between and got a file after those two sides to flatten them better and widen them further apart. Mind you, this action only took thousandths off though. I put it back together with the float measuring 1.493 closed and 1.603 open. He's been cutting grass every day since with good results and he said he don't even have to turn the gas off any more. May or may not work for you but it's a thought.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:02 pm

Hey Merlin I have some questions about what you did to your buddy's carb and the best way for me to explain them is with a picture...

When you refer to the "float tang" that would be "C" in the pictrue correct? But what you did was make the barrel part of the hinge not as wide correct?
Also you widened the casting "B" from the top image correct?
Merlin could you hear your buddies carb float rattle when you shook it? Just courious....

I spent today looking online for new carbs- I would hate to buy a used one and inherit someone elses problems again.:shock:

Any advice will help now, with the 2 kits I've put into it and the IH kit a fellow member put into it with shipping and handleing I',ve aready bought 1/2 a new carb!!!:oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:

Thanks,
Lloyd430

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:25 am

Yep Lloyd, I sanded the sides of picture "C" to make the sides more narrow and a small flat file to picture "B" to widen it a little. I also took my pocket knife and ever so slightly opened up the opening on the float that the pin goes through. Looking at your picture "C", it looks like the float may drag on the side of the carburetor. Mine looked similar so I kinda twisted it around to where it looked better lined up to me. But after 2 IH kits and uncounted take aparts, I was at the point of not caring any more. Yes, I could hear it rattle in the bowl too. I wound up with a little left and right movement as well as up and down movement. My friend is completely satisfied, so I am too.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:44 am

Thanks Merlin- I know what I am going to try tonight :) :) :)

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:54 pm

:D :D :D Merlin you need to change your name to "DEAD EYE" :lol: :lol: you got it bud- that was it :D :D :D :D The float was hitting on the side on the bowl- you called it :o :o . I also did shave down the barrel part of the float hinge as well, but that did nothing compared to tweeking it straight again :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: Thanks for your help- just finished it and not a drop came out- the level is set to 9/16- and she purrs like a kitten!!!!! :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Thanks,
Lloyd430

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:11 pm

You mean I hit on something? Like a blind hog, he has to find an acorn once in a while. Talked to my buddy a few minutes ago and he said he used his for about 2 hours today and worked fine too. Glad you have yours fixed.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 pm

Excellent news! It's almost always something simple.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I gotta snag this stuff guys... hope you don't mind, but I see another How To in this..

This is one heck of an enlightening thread.. Lloyd, thanks for the great pics, and Merlin, you done got it again :!: :idea: :arrow: :wink: :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:32 pm

I'll take credit for this thread, since I'm the fella the missed the float in the first place. :oops: :oops:
Not 8)

John in Ct
10+ Years
10+ Years

Leaking Cub Carb

Postby John in Ct » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:29 pm

Try a needle and seat from a Kohler 10 hp engine (I don't know the #, maybe someone can post it). It has a rubber tip. I have seen the one Lurker Carl uses and it seemed a little smaller than the one in my carb. The one I have is very close in size to the IH one. It also feeds gas from near the top of the cage as well as down the cage and is installed with a big screw driver.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm

i rebuilt mine and it works good but it leaks around the float gasket.somebody suggested i use two gaskets. do you think it would work?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:02 pm

I have seen lots of them with 2 gaskets but that doesn't fix the problem. It is a band-aid on a bigger problem. If you take the warpage out of the body you won't need 2 gaskets.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com