This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No spark

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jreucha
Zip Code: 13905

Re: No spark

Postby jreucha » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:06 am

I totally rebuilt it, new everything, I think its just too pitted where the gasket attaches. I guess I can try to light sand it.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:39 am

Which gasket? Where did you get your carb kit? Did you adjust the float after the rebuild?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

jreucha

Postby jreucha » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:06 pm

I think I got it from Stiener or Tm tractor. I have adjusted the float I'm going to check that next. the gasket between the top plate and bottom.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:41 pm

Float Settings.jpg

The fuel does not rise in the carburetor to the level of the bowl gasket, unless the float leaks and is full of fuel, thereby not floating. You can check for leaks by removing the float, submerge it in warm water and look for bubbles escaping. If it leaks, it will need to be replaced.
It may look like the gasket is leaking, but may be actually coming from higher up. Turn the fuel off at the strainer and dry the carb thoroughly. Open the valve and check for leaking at the strainer and both ends of the fuel line.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:40 pm

Hi,
Good that you got it to run.
I didn't say in my other post, when the Battery Ignition unit is assembled right, the wire connection on the side of it should point straight to the right. Then the cap is turned the right way. The cap only fits on the unit one way.
Below are pics from TM Tractor Parts.
Pic 1 shows the cap should turned to this position, the number 1 spark plug wire post is the upper right post.
Pic 2 shows the position of the wire connection on the side of the unit. Loosen the distributor clamp bolts and turn the distributor to this position, if needed, then install the unit on the engine, when the engine is at number 1 cylinder TDC. You can remove the unit drive shaft and turn it so it fits in the drive slot, with the rotor pointing to the number 1 cylinder post on the cap.

The manual says remove the plugs on the unit, and install grease fittings and grease the unit, if it hasn't been greased lately.
The grease fittings are bigger threads than others on the Cub. If you don't have any, you can buy 1 fitting, and put it in one hole at a time to grease it. They have said on here to remove the fittings and put the plugs in when done greasing it, so it isn't over greased.
Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual, telling about greasing the unit.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2041.jpg
Attachments
Cub distributor cap.jpg
Cub distributor cap.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Cub Battery Ignition unit 4.jpg

jreucha

Postby jreucha » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 am

Thank you for that bit of info my unit is not even close to being oriented that way, my wire on the side is dead top. I might have to re-orient that, but I had it running. drove it around a bit then parked her back in the barn, started reassembling the top, and now it don't start at all.

I really did nothing to disturb the unit or anything else not sure what's going on at this point I still have spark and it's sparking at the correct time, just won't start. lots of gas dumping from the carb out the choke part. I totally rebuilt the carb with all new parts, checked the float that's good, did a submerge test all good there, checked the correct clearance. baffeled at this point, cause the rebuilt was before I had her running for a short time.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:14 am

The rebuild kit likely had a viton tipped needle in it. If your old one was the oem steel needle, I'd suggest replacing the viton with the original needle and cage. My experience with the viton needles is that one of 3 things happens, they work fine, they stick, or they leak. Also, double check the order of the plug cables from the cap to the plugs. It's real easy to get them in the wrong order.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:45 pm

They have said on here that it is normal for the Cub carburetor to drip gas out the air intake area, onto the ground, when you try to start the engine, and it won't run.
The gas going up to the manifold runs back down, and out the drip hole on the bottom of the carb, onto the ground. The dripping may be for a minute or two after trying to start the engine.
If the carb drips when you aren't trying to start the engine, then the carb has a problem.