This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

leaking head gasket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pett3227b
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28327

leaking head gasket

Postby pett3227b » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:22 am

I just put the head back onto my cub. New head gasket and used the copper spray sealer. I put the coolant in and after one night there was a few drops that leaked from 2 different sides of the gap in the head and the block. Wondering if maybe I could torque a little higher or get it running and re torque the head bolts. Any Ideas? And should I go ahead and drain all the coolant and the oil to see if the oil is getting coolant into it?

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: leaking head gasket

Postby tnestell » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:14 pm

I had that happen once. Tried another torque wrench and found that the the first one needed to be recalibrated. Hope yours turns out that easy.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:59 pm

Did you use a sealant on the head bolt threads?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:00 pm

Hi,
Here is info I wrote on your post from October 30.
I don't know if anyone said before on your posts, the head bolts need non hardening sealer on the bottom 1/2" of their threads. The bolt holes go into the engine water jacket, and coolant can run up the bolt threads, and leak out, without sealer.
I use Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket.
Below is a post I wrote on with info about putting the head on the engine, my post is part way down the page.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102173&p=807860

Here is more info.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual, GSS-1411, showing the head bolt torque sequence.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... -01-14.jpg

I would read the engine section in the manual, if you haven't.
The manual is at the top of the page at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals.
Tighten the bolts gradually. I would tighten them to 25 ft lbs, then 35 ft lbs, then 45 ft lbs, each time following the torque sequence.

Before putting in the head bolts, remember there is a holder for the spark plug wires that goes on the 3rd head bolt from the front, on the right.
Below is a listing for it at TM Tractor Parts, with pics of it, if you don't have a holder.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gr/359fp.htm
Maybe you knew this already. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:25 pm

To put sealer on the head bolt threads, if you didn't use sealer on them, and if you have antifreeze in the cooling system, I would suggest you use a garden hose with a nozzle, and wash down each head bolt hole, after you take the bolt out, to wash the antifreeze off the threads, after draining the coolant.
Antifreeze leaves a sticky film on metal, the sealer should have bare metal to stick to.
Leave the drain plug out from under the radiator when washing the threads.
After washing them, you could use compressed air down each hole to dry the threads some.
Wear your safety goggles when using the water and air.

Wash and dry the bolts too, if you use the same bolts again.
Don't remove the head, since you used the copper spray on the gasket, just torque the bolts again, using the gradual torque method, and the torque sequence in the service manual. Maybe some will disagree.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:41 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Did you use a sealant on the head bolt threads?

If not, then you need to drain the coolant and seal the head bolts.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:28 am

It’s no unusual to get a few drops of leakage before the engine is warmed up the first time. That’s usually corrected when the engine is warmed up and the head re-torqued. If the leak persists, then it’s time to find the problem.

pett3227b
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28327

Postby pett3227b » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:46 pm

I put the same copper spray that goes onto the head gasket onto the threads of every head bolt. I also torqued them starting at 25 foot pounds then 35 and finally at 45. I now have drained the coolant and am considering putting it back and starting the motor and letting it warm up and re torque each bolt.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:55 pm

Hi,
They have said on here that the copper spray for the head gasket won't work for the head bolt threads, and the coolant will probably leak.
You could try using the Cub more like it is if you want to, I don't know if it will stop leaking or not.
Below is a picture of the sealer, if you want to buy it, and put it on the bolts. There is a pic of it in my link above, with info about using it.
The retorquing the head bolts is done after the engine has warmed up fully, and then cooled off completely, like from sitting over night. The engine should be cold, as far as I know.
IH said in the 1965 Cub operator's manual to retorque the head bolts after the 1st 50 hours of use, when the tractor is new. I would think that should be done when the head has been off an engine.
You could retorque it after 1 or 2 times heating and cooling, and then after 50 hours also, if you want.
Attachments
Cub Permatex.jpg
Cub Permatex.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 846 times