This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1950 Cub Hydraulic Issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpaschich
Zip Code: 98443

Re: 1950 Cub Hydraulic Issue

Postby jpaschich » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:00 pm

Replaced fluids, bled system per instructions, still not working. It does appear the pump is leaking so im going to order a new seal kit amd go from there. I'm still not convinced the TC unit is working - something just doesn't feel right with it but I don't know how to troubleshoot that or rule it out. I'll start the seal kit and go from there. I should've been more mindful to listen to make sure the pump is running but I didn't seem to hear it at all. If the TC unit isn't working would the pump still run? Sorry... this is all new to me.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi,
The Touch Control should work when you fill it with fluid, and run the engine, even if there are small leaks.
You didn't say if there are fluid leaks on the outside of the system.
I wouldn't put in the seal kit first thing.
It is rare, but sometimes there can be an air lock in the system, so fluid doesn't go through the tubes down to the pump.
Try removing the 2 bolts that hold the lower end of the tubes onto the pump, and gently pry the end away from the pump slightly, so some fluid runs out. Let some fluid run out, then tighten the bolts.
The tubes won't move much, they are solid.

If it still won't work, you can do this below.
They said before my posts on page 1 of this post, the pump drive gear may have come off, it does happen. The system won't do anything if the gear has come off, the pump won't turn if the gear has come off.
Remove the pump and see if the gear is on it, and the lock washer is there, and the nut is tight.
You have to remove the tubes first, there is a gasket at the upper end that should be replaced if you remove the tubes. The lower end has 2 o rings at the pump.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor Parts of the pump and gear.
Attachments
Cub T C pump.jpg

jpaschich
Zip Code: 98443

Postby jpaschich » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:39 pm

There is no fluid loss outside. I need to take a much closer look but if I had to bet I'd say there might be a seal problem because my engine oil level is increasing ever slightly. I took the pump off and the gear was there and seems intact. With the full fluids and bled correctly the TC system isn't doing anything at all.

I think I need to confirm the pump is working then if/when it is move on to the TC unit. I'm afraid I ran the TC with little to no fluid, especially when I was bleeding the lines wrong, and fried it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:28 pm

You probably didn't hurt the pump. I think the next thing to check is the orifice and orifice screen. A small bit of junk in there can shut the whole system down. Details of how to check it can be found scattered through this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112567