This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1950 Cub Hydraulic Issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpaschich
Zip Code: 98443

1950 Cub Hydraulic Issue

Postby jpaschich » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:44 pm

Please forgive me, I spent 30 yrs as an IT guy and now am moving to a "retired/farmer" so I'm not exactly great at tractor repairs. I have a 1950 Cub. The hydraulics were working fine until I had to actually use them for real for the 1st time. I took off a belly blade and put on some hilling discs under the belly and now the mid and rear doesnt raise or lower at all. I'm fairly certain its a coincidence that it happened after switching from the blade to the discs. Ive done my initial homework on the issue. I've checked my fluids. Drained the hydraulic fluid a bit below the filler level plug, added some fresh, left the plug open and ran the tractor and used the TC lever a couple dozen times while running. Killed engine. Put plug back in. Topped it off jsut a bit. Still nothing. Seems the next thing is to diagnose the TC system or the hydraulic pump. I'm hoping someone can get me started in the right direction. I'm not seeing how to determine which might be the issue, how to test them, etc. For what its worth I've never really noticed the pump making the whirring noise people say that it should, even when it was raising and lowering. Now that I'm trying to listen for it I definitely do not hear it.

Any help would be appreciated because I have to actually use the tractor for real now to hill and weed some things as opposed to just cruising around on a cool classic ride. :)
Last edited by jpaschich on Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1950 Cub Hydraulic Issue

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:22 am

If there is really no response whatsoever when you ask the hydraulics to move, then it sounds like the pump drive gear fell off the pump. There’s a tabbed washer that is supposed to have the tab bent against a flat on the nut to prevent it loosening.
Easy fix, but you’ll have to drain the hydraulics, remove the pump, and fish around in the front of the engine to find the gear, nut and washer.

jpaschich

Postby jpaschich » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:27 pm

Typically, in modern equipment, you wouldn't fill up a reservoir to the very top but maybe this older tractor is different? When bleeding the system I just filled it up until fluid seeped out of the fill level plug (the small plug on the other side). When reading the manual it could be interpretd that you are supposed to fill the reservoir all the way to the top of the filler plug (larger plug where you actually fill the reservoir from). Seems like if I were to do this though I'd blow a seal and cause more damage right? I just want to be sure it's not something as simple as me not bleeding the lines correctly.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:31 pm

When you fill the reservoir, you want to have the piston retracted to prevent the chance of overfilling. Moving the lever forward and back a dozen times should bleed the lines of any air.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

jpaschich

Postby jpaschich » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:40 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:When you fill the reservoir, you want to have the piston retracted to prevent the chance of overfilling. Moving the lever forward and back a dozen times should bleed the lines of any air.

I did see those instructions somewhere and did that. I'm only supposed to fill it up till it seeps out of the small fill level plug right? I read somewhere that you should fill it up till it's a 1/2 inch below filler opening. This must mean the small plug and not the large filler plug you use to add the fluid right?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:43 pm

Fill until just below the fill plug level, the large plug.
-Albert Einstein

jpaschich

Postby jpaschich » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:46 pm

:D Oohhhh.... and you are sure I won't cause damage, blow a seal etc by putting this much fluid in? Seems odd to me but then again I don't really know what the hell im doing :)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:59 pm

Yes, you likely haven't put enough in to make it work. The small plug near the bottom of the block on the right side is the drain. As Crimson Tim suggested, you may need to remove the pump and make sure the gear is still on.
-Albert Einstein

jpaschich

Postby jpaschich » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:05 pm

Ok so last dumb question... for the transmission you have a drain plug, small "fill level plug" and then on top the large fill plug. But for the hydraulics the same small plug is actually the drain plug, not the fill level plug?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:38 pm

Correct.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:40 pm

Correct. If you look at it's location, it's at the bottom of the block, not part way up like on the tranny. The hydraulic block needs to be full to prevent air from entering the system. The transmission gears get splash lubed, they are not immersed in gear oil.
-Albert Einstein

jpaschich

Postby jpaschich » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:09 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Correct. If you look at it's location, it's at the bottom of the block, not part way up like on the tranny. The hydraulic block needs to be full to prevent air from entering the system. The transmission gears get splash lubed, they are not immersed in gear oil.

Thank you and now that you've pointed out the location and I actually use my brain it makes sense. Sorry... and thank you again!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:35 am

Hi,
Here is Touch Control info, if you or others need it.
The 1950 Cub owner's manual tells how to drain, fill, and remove the air from the Touch Control system.
Below are 3 pages with Touch Control info.
The 1st page shows the parts of the system, the fill and level plug is on the left side of the Cub.
The 3rd page shows the drain plug, it's on the right side of the Cub. The page also tells how to fill and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4, at the lower left of the page, and the upper right of the page. The arms should go through their full travel 10 - 12 times.
The system should be filled to the filler plug hole with the arms in the rear, or down position.
The system holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2060.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2061.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2062.jpg

The Touch Control fluid was changed to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, it is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
Last edited by Glen on Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpaschich

Postby jpaschich » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:04 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Here is Touch Control info, if you or others need it.
The 1950 Cub owner's manual tells how to drain, fill, and remove the air from the Touch Control system.
Below are 3 pages with Touch Control info.
The 1st page shows the parts of the system, the fill and level plug is on the left side of the Cub.
The 3rd page shows the drain plug, it's on the right side of the Cub. The page also tells how to fill and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4, the arms should go through their full travel 10 - 12 times.
The system should be filled to the filler plug hole with the arms in the rear, or down position.
The system holds 3 1/2 Pints of fluid.
https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2060.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2061.jpg

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... e%2062.jpg

The Touch Control fluid was changed to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid, it is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.

This is great information. Thank you!!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi,
If the Touch Control works after putting in the fluid, as you use the Cub, the fluid should stay at the same level, at the filler plug hole, with the arms in the rear, or down position.
If the o ring seal in the pump is leaking, the Touch Control fluid level will go down, and the oil level in the engine will come up on the dipstick, and have more oil in the oil pan than it had before you ran it.
Check the engine oil with the dipstick after some use.
It is common for the pump to leak fluid into the engine oil pan.
Then the pump needs a rebuild, with new o rings.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page sells the Case IH pump rebuild kit for it.
Below is the listing.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/288fp.htm

I'm in Wa. too.