This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C-22 SickleBar Shaft Appears Too Long

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bucknasty
Zip Code: 17922

C-22 SickleBar Shaft Appears Too Long

Postby bucknasty » Fri May 19, 2023 7:55 am

I'm working on this 49 cub that I got a few weeks ago. Overall, the tractor was only missing the battery box cover. I just tried hooking up the sicklebar last night and I think the original owners messed something up as the teeth are practically new with no wear. What I noticed was the following:

1. The Adjusting bolt was twisted and appeared to short (and missing some nuts). I tried running the mower without the bolt, but it just spun without enough tension. I clamped it as hard as I could and barely got a few threads from a nut I stole from elsewhere. The part number in my original manual is "451 765 R91". Google searches shows nothing for that part. I found a few later manuals where the adjuster is referenced as "451 765 R93" and "451 765 R95", but R95 looks much different and want to confirm they are interchangeable. Otherwise, anyone have luck with some u-bolts as adjusters?

2. The upper shield was missing an entire top section. The manual shows it should be one piece, but I have 2 pieces of the top shield where it screws in place on either side. Same issue with the parts on that one ("451 359 r1")

3. Probably the most problematic (but maybe related to the adjusting bolt), the belt twisted on me when running the PTO. Looking at the pulleys, it appears the flywheel shaft is pushed back too far by about 1/2" or so. I wonder if the too short adjusting bolt is the problem as my short threads appear to have pulled and pitched the shaft out of level. I re-read the manual and they mention to not remove the drawbar, so given that warning, I'll reinstall it, but not sure that will correct this issue.

I appreciate the help, guys

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: C-22 SickleBar Shaft Appears Too Long

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri May 19, 2023 8:51 am

Here's a link to a discussion a few weeks ago that contains some information that might be helpful. Stan viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114997 Also, if you have not done so, go to Quick links tab at the top left corner of this page/pdf manuals and download the information about the C22 mowers. Detailed information about operation, service/repairs, parts, etc. is located there. There were at least 2 versions of the C22 mower in addition to the special one for number series cub. As for the belt tension adjustment, the picture you posted is the early style and the bolt is broken. IMO they are interchangeable but the later style is more stable and offers a more secure connection to the lower belt guard. Stan
EDIT: TM website has some pictures that might be helpful. Try this link: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/cub22_001.htm
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri May 19, 2023 9:18 am

Later style belt adjustment:
C22 belt adjustment6.jpg
C22 belt adjustment1.jpg
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

bucknasty
Zip Code: 17922

Postby bucknasty » Fri May 19, 2023 10:50 am

Thanks for getting back to me. Looking at the later style, it appears that the adjustment bracket is bolted in place to the rear bracket. I would have to alter the existing rear bracket to attached it in place.

I might have to check at the hardware store to see if I can find a threaded coupler and add a section of rod to make it the right length and able to take adequate tension. Looking at this a little more, I do think that once I get the shaft tension corrected the pulleys may be in the correct alignment as it appears the engine mounts are not fully seated and my mallet is failing to move them into position.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 am

1) The later style adjuster fits, as shown in the pictures Stan posted. It should fit using an existing bolt. The later style is much better.
2) In your first picture, the shaft appears to be at an odd angle. Was this taken with the front of the shaft on the ground?
3) If the shaft appears to be too long, I would first suspect the front hanger is bent, possibly from somebody running into an obstruction with the front of the mower. Post a picture (from the side!) of the front hanger, with it properly mounted to the tractor.
4) Without seeing it, no comment on what you have for an upper shield. There was a later style shield, but it didn't attach to the lower shield.
5) You may need a spacer so the rear bracket will stand upright with the drawbar on place.
6) Get the pulleys in line before you follow up on the twisted belt. That may be all there is to it. But once a belt has been thrown off or twisted during operation, it may have internal damage. That can cause it to continue to be a problem even if the original reason has been fixed. The final fix may require a new belt.